Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my "scraps" in a bucket (Ice cream bucket) in my fridge until I can put them outside in the compost. I turn it each time I go put something into it. Its a ground compost and we have a pitchfork that we use to turn it. We spread it over the garden every three months or when things are good and rotten.

Anyone else have a compost?

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
I have a unused brush blind that has been converted into a compost container. It's about 5' diameter inside. We put in salad scraps, weeds, leaves and dirt in.The composting is slow, since the sun isn't direct. It's downwind and the stink goes out into the Forest.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a outside open bin style. It is a slow cycle also and then I have a small indoor one made of the stacked 5 gallon buckets. I would recommend composting to all. It is worth it!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have a 3'x3'x3' plastic bin that my neighbor bought for composting stuff. He filled it with iceplant :( so when he moved, I got the bin. I cleaned it out, and have a nice compost bin, with decent compost in it. I am on an organic kick, so everything organic and compostable goes in there. I burn plum wood to cook on/with and I have put a tad bit of ashes in there. I even put egg shells in there, and they are eventually gone :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
I just started reading "Worms Eat My Garbage". It's how to use worms to create compost.... and with the side benefit that they generate a "tea" that is a great plant food. There are many great worm composting videos on youtube... it's well worth your time to check it out.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
My next compost bin will be started today , it will simply be brush stacked into a square . I'm letting the old one rest for the winter and will use the compost for the garden in the spring.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I compost my lawn clippings and yard debris. I just pile it up in mounds along the back of my property line (no one near there). I used to turn it and rotate it a lot, but now I just let nature take care of it. After about five years, you have some very nice soil ready to use, and I just put it on a fertilizer spreader after I screen it, and use it to top dress the lawn or plant bushes. Anything else is more work than it is worth, to me at least.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been composting for approx. 20 years. I currently have 2 bins, one to add stuff to and one that is "Cooking" I garden in raised beds and the soil is very good and fluffy. I found the secret to great compost is 60% carbons and 40% nitrogen mixture. I stir/turn each pile each week and keep it as moist as a wrung out sponge. Using this method, I get two bins of finished compost a year...BTW, compost should never "stink", if it stinks you're putting stuff in the pile that doesn't belong (meats, fat, grease etc.)

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
My composting area consist of cinder bricks stacked about waist high in a three sided box that measures roughly 6ft x 10 ft. It consist of mainly leaves and grass clippings but it gets some scraps from the produce I eat and an occasional wheel barrel load of Cow Doo Doo. Not a real fast operation but it works well enough...kinda cool to look out in the winter here and see it steaming.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have been composting for approx. 20 years. I currently have 2 bins, one to add stuff to and one that is "Cooking" I garden in raised beds and the soil is very good and fluffy. I found the secret to great compost is 60% carbons and 40% nitrogen mixture. I stir/turn each pile each week and keep it as moist as a wrung out sponge. Using this method, I get two bins of finished compost a year...BTW, compost should never "stink", if it stinks you're putting stuff in the pile that doesn't belong (meats, fat, grease etc.)
Thanks for sharing your experience. I too blog about composting and a host of other gardening/homesteading issues. Here is a post regarding a Recipe for Composting! Please stop by and like the page as well as adding your gardening experiences so that others may benefit as well.

Blessings!
Desert Marine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.