Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share with you something I found a while ago when I wanted to open a small earth friendly cafe. I think these would be good for after SHTF, as they can go right into your compost. :)

http://www.verterra.com
http://www.verterra.com/verterra_faq.php <-- lots of good info. :D

I plan on getting these wholesale if possible and adding them to my bug in stock. No point in doing dishes if water is hard to come by, and I can add it to compost for other needs.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Wonderful! They are basically "leaves" that decompose in 2 months. This is sorta like the sunchips bag that decomposes as well. I actually tried the sunchips bag in my compost bin, and a year later it was still there without signs of decomposing. I'm sure it would take some things longer than others though (I should have left it longer) and of course depending on how often the compost is turned, moisture etc. I know the price is a little high 8 plates for $5 (at one store I checked), but I'm sure the price is going to come down over time, like every thing else. Buying in bulk/wholesale of course you save.

I sure do with other companies would think and use stuff like this. We wouldn't have to worry about so much waste in the world. Great post, I love stuff like this!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like these.. I wish they would come out with more pieces.. Id like to pick some up and depending on the size, make home made MRE's with them. Just pack the food on the plate, and vacuum seal it.. I think they are lighter then carrying a mess kit.. which takes water to clean. And no worries with littering, as its made of leaves.. Id even bet it would be good as fuel for fire. Not sure how long it would take to burn though.. might have to look into that.

MULTIPURPOSE DINNERWARE!!! Im all for it.

oh and sun chips? yum!!! I didnt know that about the bags.. Ill have to remember that..:)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Never thought of the fire part, but thats an awesome idea. I bet they could make a longer plate and put it in the mre's and market it to the government for the disposal of it as well as the fire part. great thinking!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
only makes sense.. I mean, one of our biggest problems with fallen leaves if not gotten up is that they will dry out, and start a fire out in the hot sun.. so, if these have no chemicals and they are dry.. perhaps they could fuel a fire if need be. a bit late to get people to use these instead of the crap in the stores thats been clogging up our landfills..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts