Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process jumping into the world of aquaponics (slowly, albeit) and trying to learn how to make it as self-sufficient as possible.
I also ordered a couple thousand red wrigglers, and am not really sure why! :lol:

Anyhow, was talking to one of my fellow tin-hatters at work yesterday and he told me about another way of composting, a way that will get rid of the meat and oils scraps that the wrigglers can't do.

Black soldier flies!

He said they are also great for feeding tilapia, which is a common fish for aquaponics.

So much fish food will be "produced" that I'll have to freeze some along the way.

Eureka!!!

Just wanted to pass that along to y'all There are many YouTubes on building Black Soldier Fly composters, and they are very simple.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Excellent. I have been studying this but not diving in yet. I prefer to use the land
but my wife prefers we stay in the city- which means I would want to be able to
produce all I need on a city lot (10k square feet) and the only way that happens
for two folks and 2 big dogs is with an aqaponics system. I already have the fruit
and nut trees and a garden but the garden isn't nearly enough for us. I'm hoping
to find an aquaponics platform that works in about 3k feet.

·
Registered
24,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look at friendlyaquaponics.com. I'm in the process of building the 128 sq. ft. project, but the size up from that will probably be good for you.

The price for my plan is 99 bucks, and was worth every single penny.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I've seen aquaponics users set up their black fly thingies right over their fish tanks, so the maggots crawl out of the composter and fall right into the fish tank. To me, this seems like a good idea for a no-tech auto-feeder!

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
24,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen aquaponics users set up their black fly thingies right over their fish tanks, so the maggots crawl out of the composter and fall right into the fish tank. To me, this seems like a good idea for a no-tech auto-feeder!
Hey, wow, that is perfect for the inattentive, irresponsible types like me! :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts