Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
" a chicken can make a fair livin behind a cow"

Trust me I spelled livin to express the Michigander hill billy dialect.

This is a quote from my wife's father from many years ago, it just popped into my brain.

We have seven steers, they slobber food all over the place, the chickens clean it up, our rabbits live under the chicken coop free range for the chickens and the rabbits.

My old Labrador is partially self trained and partially beat into submission to not kill the chickens and rabbits. We have a new puppy Lab German Shepherd. We are having a hard time training him not to kill the chickens, I am confident that he will consider them a friend of the family soon, just like our old lab.

We have gold fish in the cow tank to help keep it clean.

My question is, what complimentary animals am I missing,

What complimentary animal groups do you keep.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
As I was growing up, we always had a pack of dogs around the place. They all knew which critters belonged at the homestead and which didn't. We even had a pet groundhog once, the dogs knew him and left him alone, unlike any other groundhogs they happened upon. Dogs are a lot smarter than some people give credit.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I remember reading when we were dealing with weeds on the farm that if you rotate cows, goats and sheep separately through pasture, they'll eat everything and clean up all the weeds.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Bird houses can be helpful,, What type house depends on what birds you want and that is determined by what kind of
bug you want to get rid of.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Guineas would be good to have on your property. They sound the alarm whenever anything unusual occurs. They will consume large amounts of insects and seldom bother your garden or flowers. They are easy and inexpensive to raise. Once started, they fend for themselves, living on insects, seeds, and grasses. They control deer ticks, wood ticks, grasshoppers, box elder bugs, flies crickets, and all other insects. Their call will discourage rodents. They will kill snakes, and will alert you to anything unusual.

Guineas- Basic Information

·
Registered
965 Posts
" a chicken can make a fair livin behind a cow"

Trust me I spelled livin to express the Michigander hill billy dialect.

This is a quote from my wife's father from many years ago, it just popped into my brain.

We have seven steers, they slobber food all over the place, the chickens clean it up, our rabbits live under the chicken coop free range for the chickens and the rabbits.

My old Labrador is partially self trained and partially beat into submission to not kill the chickens and rabbits. We have a new puppy Lab German Shepherd. We are having a hard time training him not to kill the chickens, I am confident that he will consider them a friend of the family soon, just like our old lab.

We have gold fish in the cow tank to help keep it clean.

My question is, what complimentary animals am I missing,

What complimentary animal groups do you keep.
I consider myself country. Partially grew up on the families farm (sold now) worked the fields, but we didn't have animals, so this is interesting. Especially the gold fish.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We years ago put up a bird nest on our telephone pole in the front yard it is two sided and has four houses on a side. I wanted some of the barn swallows from a half mile away to move into the nest. They have landed up there and looked it over but they do not like it. They still come up to visit once in a while but I am unsure how to convince them to stay. Best bug consumers around.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The homes for swallows have to have small openings, be shaded from the sun and protected from the rain. We used to live where we had cliff swallows and they built their nests with mud under the eaves of the house. It was more fun watching them get bugs in the late afternoon than it was to watch the Blue Angels show. We also had some bats that lived close enough that you could watch them collect their meals after the sun set.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I consider myself country. Partially grew up on the families farm (sold now) worked the fields, but we didn't have animals, so this is interesting. Especially the gold fish.
Fish work really well. We put them in for the first time this year and I remember standing there admiring how clean and clear the water was. A couple days later, the ducks discovered the swimming bounty and the water never got clean again until the ducks left. I wouldn't recommend those two animals together! At least they made it so I didn't have to worry about wintering over the fish.

·
Administrator
15,103 Posts
While they are complimentary, we really don't "use" the egrets that visit the pasture. It's a Florida thing, I guess, that white egrets co habit pastures with cows (their secondary name is "cow bird"). The grazing of the cows stir up bugs in the grass that the birds eat. They sometimes visit us and use our horses for the same purpose, however they do not sit on the horses backs like they sometimes do with cows.
Other than that the only complimentary thing going on here is we eat the chicken eggs, the chickens eat our table scraps. And the irony of inronies is they love fried chicken.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts