Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Friday marks the completion of my associates degree in transpiration/business management, through the Community College of the Air Force. I have to continue to take classes or I will fall into the no school rut, and I don't want that again. I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what I want to go for. I'm thinking something like communication of some sort(mass, journalism,tech) are a few I'm looking at. If I retire from the Air Force I'll have 9 more years meaning my degree will be a few years old. That is one reason I was thinking comm, it shouldn't be to outdated, as would something like science, or accounting because those things are always changing. I was thinking once I retire of doing mostly free lance writing or trying to do wildlife/survival/outdoor/hunting type work. I've also seen sales positions filled with communication degree holders, so maybe a management or working my way to management at a Cabelas or BassPro type store would be nice. I will have a pension so that will help with income. I'm also very warry of all these online schools popping up, I want to make sure I pick the right one. I don't want online but due to work schedule and my area it's my only option right now, that might change in a year or to but I don't want to wait. Penn State and Arizona State are at the top of my list. I've already been accepted to ASU so that's a good thing. I'm trying to avoid math like the plague.

Any have any suggestions? I'm not looking to make tons of money, but something close to mid 40s would be great if possible, bot not required.

Also if there are any communication degree holders and you wouldn't mind sharing your thought either here or in a pm, it would greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
9,072 Posts
It seems to me, all the high school drops out have the jobs now. McDonalds wants you to have a BA to run the register. If you are mechanically inclined, try gun smithing. You will always be in demand. Physicians Assist., nurse, paramedic are others. What's your MOS. Do you like it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2T2x1, Air Transportation, basically anything you do at an airline with the exception of mx, marshaling, and flying. I deal with all aspects of passenger service, all aspect of general and hazardous cargo, and all aspects of TSA. I figure I'll use this as my back up plan, just not sure that I want to the airport/city thing after retirement. I think I'll be ready for something much simpler. On a side note I've looked into my career related jobs, and with my knowledge I'd not have a problem being qualified, just weather or not their hiring.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You might consider going for a White Hacker Cert. The demand is high and ever increasing. Combined with a business degree, and military experience, network security testing certification might prove to be a reasonable path for future flexible employment. White Hackers contract out and frequently work their own hours from their own home-based systems. You can do outdoor things and work your schedule around your personal preferences.

·
Registered
904 Posts
A higher education is one thing that no one can take away from you. Regardless of your major, it will most likely help you. Many jobs have pay scales that increase depending on your level of education. I encourage you to keep at it and continue as long as you can. I know it is difficult, but it will pay off in the long run. (I spent 4 long years going to school at night and working during the day to get a J.D.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
You may wish to consider a career in education, particularly secondary education. There is generally always a demand for it, and it would be nice to have someone with military experience in the profession. Depending on your major, you could teach business, science, etc... Something to think about.
This Friday marks the completion of my associates degree in transpiration/business management, through the Community College of the Air Force. I have to continue to take classes or I will fall into the no school rut, and I don't want that again. I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what I want to go for. I'm thinking something like communication of some sort(mass, journalism,tech) are a few I'm looking at. If I retire from the Air Force I'll have 9 more years meaning my degree will be a few years old. That is one reason I was thinking comm, it shouldn't be to outdated, as would something like science, or accounting because those things are always changing. I was thinking once I retire of doing mostly free lance writing or trying to do wildlife/survival/outdoor/hunting type work. I've also seen sales positions filled with communication degree holders, so maybe a management or working my way to management at a Cabelas or BassPro type store would be nice. I will have a pension so that will help with income. I'm also very warry of all these online schools popping up, I want to make sure I pick the right one. I don't want online but due to work schedule and my area it's my only option right now, that might change in a year or to but I don't want to wait. Penn State and Arizona State are at the top of my list. I've already been accepted to ASU so that's a good thing. I'm trying to avoid math like the plague.

Any have any suggestions? I'm not looking to make tons of money, but something close to mid 40s would be great if possible, bot not required.

Also if there are any communication degree holders and you wouldn't mind sharing your thought either here or in a pm, it would greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Get a job, buy as many preps as you can, prepare for the end of the world. The system will not last another two years.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
You may wish to consider a career in education, particularly secondary education. There is generally always a demand for it, and it would be nice to have someone with military experience in the profession. Depending on your major, you could teach business, science, etc... Something to think about.
8 hours per day trying to control a bunch of "hormones in tennis shoes"?!?! God bless those who can handle it. - I would just as soon suck on the barrel of a Colt.

As Pakrat mentioned, basically anything in the IT world is going to pay pretty well and after you get through the first 2-4 years and get some experience, you can go independent and work virtually (usually).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pretty funny! I have taught for 23 years, and managed to keep the barrels of my Colts rust free. Most either love the job or feel as you do and leave in short order. There are a retired Major and NCO who run an ROTC program in my school and they love the challenge on a daily basis, but as you say, it is not for everyone.
8 hours per day trying to control a bunch of "hormones in tennis shoes"?!?! God bless those who can handle it. - I would just as soon suck on the barrel of a Colt.

As Pakrat mentioned, basically anything in the IT world is going to pay pretty well and after you get through the first 2-4 years and get some experience, you can go independent and work virtually (usually).

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Pretty funny! I have taught for 23 years, and managed to keep the barrels of my Colts rust free. Most either love the job or feel as you do and leave in short order. There are a retired Major and NCO who run an ROTC program in my school and they love the challenge on a daily basis, but as you say, it is not for everyone.
My mother-in-law was a high-school English teacher. My wife worked in our local school district until '97. Just the stories from them was enough to give me profound respect for good teachers - especially at the middle school and high-school level.

Oh yeah, welcome from Minnesota...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks.
My mother-in-law was a high-school English teacher. My wife worked in our local school district until '97. Just the stories from them was enough to give me profound respect for good teachers - especially at the middle school and high-school level.

Oh yeah, welcome from Minnesota...

·
Registered
197 Posts

If you plan on staying in the AF, then get your bachelor's degree and become an officer. Your enlisted years count toward retirement seniority.

A communications degree isn't that highly regarded. It's an easy degree and doesn't hold much weight with employers. But, it is a Bachelor's degree and many employers require a Bachelor's for basic entry level positions. I know money isn't object for you, but don't sell your self short.

I went medical after my enlistment and never looked back.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The military will be downsizing soon. Stayin' in might not be an option. There is good demand for math/science teachers. Good luck getting a job as a man in elementary education. Special ed will always be a growth industry.

·
Registered
938 Posts
With your background, I would focus on Logistics. Knowing how to transport materials and goods to markets is going to continue to grow in a world gone digital where people shop online more and more.

The richest men I have ever known personally made billions in trucking and transportation. Moving cargo and people makes money. Enough said.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
In general, colleges are not trade schools. You go to college to learn where to get reliable information. The reason a degree has value - even outside its defined area of influence - is that it proves you have the guts to stick it out and that you can learn.
If you want IT you will find a degree is worth about half what a year in actual job history is.
Business management and personell management degrees are OK but you have to find a job unless you want to start your own business.
The communication arena is full of specialty areas - digital, graphic, radio, TV, and many more. Some, but not many, will cross over.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies.

I've often considered teaching, I think I'd have to do it at the high school level, a guy I go to church with is a principle at a high school and said(not I'm going to get the terminology wrong but you get the idea) that if I had the credentials to teach govt and mulit role(basically have my masters so I could teach college classes), that he'd hire me on the spot. I just don't know that teach is for me. My job now has me teaching a class about once a month for a few hours, it's not bad, but not sure I'd want to do it all the time.

I also considered IT, and while it interest me, most degree you need college algebra and something hire. I just completed a liberal arts math class and BARELY passed while busting my butt

Thanks again for all the suggestions, it's greatly appreciated. It's always nice hearing real world stories instead of set up profiles of college grads on schools websites.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm retired Air Force with a CCAF degree in IT and almost 30 years experience and can't find a job that pays worth a crap in IT. So many of us are out of work and looking that the employers can basically do what they want. I'd recommend engineering.

And like someone else mentioned, go OCS. Check out the pay scale, a first year 2LT gets payed more than a 20 year TSGT. The down side of that is officers get promoted by who they know, not what they know (totally oposit from the enlisted ranks) so there is allot of brown nosing.

In addition, stay in the military. That retirement check pays for everything I need, can't afford any luxuries but when looking for a job, it is a life saver. I got a job now so I'm good but it is not in IT, it's actually as a machinist, go figure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm retired Air Force with a CCAF degree in IT and almost 30 years experience and can't find a job that pays worth a crap in IT. So many of us are out of work and looking that the employers can basically do what they want. I'd recommend engineering.

And like someone else mentioned, go OCS. Check out the pay scale, a first year 2LT gets payed more than a 20 year TSGT. The down side of that is officers get promoted by who they know, not what they know (totally oposit from the enlisted ranks) so there is allot of brown nosing.

In addition, stay in the military. That retirement check pays for everything I need, can't afford any luxuries but when looking for a job, it is a life saver. I got a job now so I'm good but it is not in IT, it's actually as a machinist, go figure.
Thanks for the info, I'm going to try to stay to retirement that is the plan but with all the cuts who knows. I'm at almost 11, and with my age(32) I'm not sure I could complete my bachelors in enough time to still qualify for a commision, but I work with several prior enlisted so I might bug them and see what they say. Only thing is I'm not really good at playing the political game, well let me say I don't like to, I can play it if need be, I guess I could just suck it up and deal with it.

My orignal plan was to jump at 20, but but if I can hanle 30 that is a big increase in pension over 20, not to mention more time to save.

Again thanks for the info, might have to hit you up for some careere advise in the future if you don't mind. It's always nice getting advise from someone who's been there but who is on the outside, if that makes sense, thanks again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts