Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I went to the local gun shop as I had promised to get her a pistol for some time now and that time had come. I decided that a double action only auto was the way to go. She is not a "gun person" like me but has an innate and uncanny ability to shoot. She is scary accurate. revolvers are wide and too complicated to reload on the fly. Single action is for gun people and double/single is too easy to forget to de-cock. I don't think she'll practice outside of range days so simplicity was paramount. DAO autos are, in my opinion "goof-proof".

We looked at many. The following are crap: High Point, Phoenix, Bryco, Jennings, Bersa, Diamond Back, Kel-Tec (who I want to like) etc. The following make great revolvers but their autos still suck: Smith and Wesson, Ruger and Taurus.

But Alas! I found two autos that I really liked! The Smith and Wesson M&p Shield and the Ruger SR9C. I believe these two manufacturers finally got autos right! I loved these two guns and read positive review after positive review. Props to Ruger on the LCP series as well.

After looking and looking I saw the Kahr CW9. As I said before, she loved the feel of the gun. I loved the price but I don't like the polymer frame rails and plan to apply a light coat of silicone grease on them between cleanings to reduce friction. This may well be the perfect gun for the discriminating lady CCW holder. I am sure I will carry it on walks in the summer etc. I'll always be a fan of my Kimber CDP Pro II 1911 however.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I have the Kahr PM-9 and a CM-9 for CCW, great little pistols. I also have the LCP and it has been flawless but I really don't care to shoot it much just carry it.
I do have a Keltec PF-9 and it too has been flawless. My neighbor carries an SR-9c and he loves it and when I tried it I liked it too, nice fit and feel.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Double Action Only autos are goof proof. That's why my department issues them. :grin:

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
My SR9c is a fine weapon,flawless and out stand trigger system, but being a double stack it can be a bit bulky.
The LCP 380 is a fine carry and with a little work on her the grip it will make the shots
The LC9 is also a great one but Ruger gave you another option The LC380

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
LCP. Great performing caliber ballistically for use on humans. I carry one in my pocket at all times. Shorts, jeans, nobody can ever tell. I got a Crimson Trace laser that I kept it on the gun for a few months, then ended up taking it back off because after actually carrying the gun with the laser on and practicing shooting with it several times I found the gun "points" naturally enough that the laser was just added weight and bulk. JMO.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'm confused because you say it's a pistol for her, but you go into decision on what you like and don't like, like it's a pistol for you. I know you've already got pistols for you, so it might be a good idea to make sure it's what she likes and fits her best. Afterall it's going to be the one she'd carry when shtf right? She's more important than your preferences right? Not be harsh, that's just my two cents. Firearms choices are a very personal fit situation when it comes down to it.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I've alwys bought my wife the TV, car and firearms she "wants." She really wants a Colt Series 70 9mm Commander now.

I'm confused because you say it's a pistol for her, but you go into decision on what you like and don't like, like it's a pistol for you. I know you've already got pistols for you, so it might be a good idea to make sure it's what she likes and fits her best. Afterall it's going to be the one she'd carry when shtf right? She's more important than your preferences right? Not be harsh, that's just my two cents. Firearms choices are a very personal fit situation when it comes down to it.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
For someone new to guns, a DAO revolver might be worth considering. Ruger lcr or one of the s&w types. No slide to rack, misfire-just pull again. In a stress situation you'd be hard pressed to get anything more simple and fool proof than a wheelgun. jmho.:)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've alwys bought my wife the TV, car and firearms she "wants." She really wants a Colt Series 70 9mm Commander now.
Them's the breaks of being married. You know that. She's happy, your happy. She's not happy and you're not happy. Because women's misery likes company and she happier if you join her.

Why do think I was so happy when I got divorced?
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Have you looked at the Beretta sub compac Px4 in perhaps the 9mm? Not perfect, a little thick, and I don't like the way the safety sticks out, but might be worth a look?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Similar to the Glock 26. I like the Glock 33 in 357 Sig, much more firepower with the option of using 40 S&W with just a barrel change for cheaper shooting.

·
Registered
855 Posts
For someone new to guns, a DAO revolver might be worth considering. Ruger lcr or one of the s&w types. No slide to rack, misfire-just pull again. In a stress situation you'd be hard pressed to get anything more simple and fool proof than a wheelgun. jmho.:)
I agree with this one, a wheelgun is almost idiot proof and reloads are no more complicated than an auto if you use speedloaders. That being said a DAO auto is a good choice if she'll train with it to make sure she can clear any malfunction she may encounter and she can manipulate the slide with no issues.

-Infidel

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Let her choose between an LCR, and LCP. Either one would serve equally well imo. Just a matter of what she's most comfortable / happy with.

My wife recently started carrying a 4oz. can of Fox 5.3 at all times when she's away from home...

I've created a monster I think. Almost every day I hear how bad she wanted to use it on somebody. :D

·
Registered
723 Posts
Sorry, csi-tech. Gotta agree with what the folks above have said. Let the lady choose the gun. If it's her choice she's more likely to carry it, which is the whole point.

One point I'd like to bring up about the S&W Shield. I read somewhere (can't seem to find it now) from a brass manufacturer that you shouldn't reload for the 9mm shield. Believe it was about a poorly supported chamber, but not sure. I'll keep looking for the link.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I like the diamondback 9mm and the .380. I own both and they have work well for me. They are picking about the ammo they will shoot, but both of mine shoot Remington hollow points. Again to compacts and subcompacts, I would try to go to the local gun range and see if anyone has a gun your are interested in. I have learned that most will be happy to let you shoot it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I like the diamondback 9mm and the .380. I own both and they have work well for me. They are picking about the ammo they will shoot, but both of mine shoot Remington hollow points. Again to compacts and subcompacts, I would try to go to the local gun range and see if anyone has a gun your are interested in. I have learned that most will be happy to let you shoot it.
I here would shy away from any DB9.....read the DB forum and unless one is into tinkering to get something to work correctly these are a waste of good money. I have a DB9 that went bang once and broke. It took 3 weeks for anyone at DB to answer any emails and only after I posted to the forum. Then it was two months to get the pistol back.

I also have a S&W Shield in .40 and the Ruger LC9.....I like the Shield a little better for light carry days like when I am around friends and really no reason to have much to worry about. 99% of the time I carry a S&W Pro Series 1911 and a NAA single action only Mini Mag revolver with the folding holster/grip.

You might want to show one of those to the wife as she could hide it about anywhere and 5 rounds of .22 Mag will make for a bad day for the BG.

Karsten

1 - 16 of 16 Posts