Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.... I've been thinking again.... Yes.... Dangerous thing ... I know.

Lots of folks talk about having a cabin, homestead, someplace remote that they'll live in and survive the unthinkable.
Or will they? Picture a well built solo homestead. They got all the supplies. Ability to grow food and so on. Now imagine a band of marauders. Maybe 5.... Maybe 10.... They see the homestead and they want the supplies and the women. What do you do? You won't be able to defend against them. Even with help of one or two neighbours you're up the creek with no paddle.

So what's the sweet spot? I started thinking about what is the minimum size of community should be to 'survive'. Now I am not thinking about the for stuff, hunt stuff survival. I'm thinking about the small 'outpost' survival. Something almost akin to what is described in SciFi books with off world missions.... Yeah... I went there.

Anyways, this might sound crazy, but I see a compound (physical size to be determined later) with a minimum of three sentries per shift and 8 hour shifts. Add to that 2 teams of 6 scouts each that forage, bring back what they find, hunt and also act as a quick reaction response force.

Then add to that cooks, quartermaster(s), medical folks and so on. Some duties can overlap but there should be an advanced medical person at the compound and a basic medic with each of the scout teams.

Numbers add up real quick don't they?

Anyways if you were to create a small community, who would you include? How big would you want the community to be? Any specific roles?

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
11,025 Posts
There is a term for the thing I think of when I think of a survival community.
"Neighborhood"

The cities and suburbs will be where most people find themselves in a world where survival becomes the top-of-mind priority. You won't get the luxury of picking and choosing your "compound" or the inhabitants thereof unless you've done some MAJOR planning ahead of time. I'm talking governmental-scale planning.
What you have is what you'll have. Scouts will be shot the moment they're caught attempting to take from somewhere else. Your best option will be to quickly re-establish neighborhood diplomacy.

This isn't as fantastical as they make it out to be on The Walking Dead. Without a 70-80% sporadic die-off event, we just won't be living that kind of lifestyle.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
You would want to add in agriculture. Who has a green thumb and helpers. Commo section, if you have scouts out you need 24-hour radio operators. Training, you need to rotate people thru training classes.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Location will be the biggest issue. Both for weather and resources and being able to survive the whole year.

Up north you will need half a village just to collect wood for heat. Let alone feed and house them for 6 months in the cold. Good thing is those marauders will freeze to death before to long.

It will be a total different situation depending on so many factors. Biggest will quality and capability of people.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
There is a term for the thing I think of when I think of a survival community.
"Neighborhood"

The cities and suburbs will be where most people find themselves in a world where survival becomes the top-of-mind priority. You won't get the luxury of picking and choosing your "compound" or the inhabitants thereof unless you've done some MAJOR planning ahead of time. I'm talking governmental-scale planning.
What you have is what you'll have. Scouts will be shot the moment they're caught attempting to take from somewhere else. Your best option will be to quickly re-establish neighborhood diplomacy.

This isn't as fantastical as they make it out to be on The Walking Dead. Without a 70-80% sporadic die-off event, we just won't be living that kind of lifestyle.
I think the History Channel did an amazing job with this concept in "The Day After Armageddon" You follow the family from big city/suburban life to being solo on the road, to finally settling down in small communities.

If I had a big bugout location I would have as many people that I could trust there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have thought about this some. My family all live within 10 miles of me. My Brother lives in town, but Parents and Grand parents both live on huge propertys with hundreds of acres that they sub let to big commercial farms. We have talked about everybody coming to my place. I'm only on 44acres with 25 of that woods, and backed up to the river. With my Brothers Wife..that would be 7 of us. We would need more people..but not sure who that would be. Sadly it would probably have to be people who are also preppers, that have skills and supplies to contribute. You would have to turn starving and freezing families that have nothing to contribute away. Like @Wedrownik said..there is probably an optimum number of people vs how many can be provided for. Ahead of food and water..#1 thing will be security.. without that, you will have nothing. Good, God fearing people with starving or freezing Children are capable of ANYTHING... To get to your food, water, or warm stove. If you are a Parent..just think for a minute what you would be willing to do to provide for your kids, and keep them alive.. ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think you touched on some important aspects there, like the skills of some of those in your community & the person's role. The difficulty and complexity comes when the folks actually show. For every useful & helpful contributor, there's possibly a sibling/spouse/child/friend that may come along with em that's just this side of useless, or worse, becomes a liability.

I think a good thing to have when building a community is a governing 'core' of folks who determine what's what & handle the hard decisions. There are a lot of complexities that arise with every additional person added. I think it was Einstein who said as long as humans interact, there will be conflict.

Just my .02

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point on the "regional" aspect affecting the communities. Even better point talking about needing comms. An most of all, yes, without security all that you have will be someone else's bounty.

Overall again, this is a pen and paper exercise but I did start giving it some thoughts. My starting point

Anyways, this might sound crazy, but I see a compound (physical size to be determined later) with a minimum of three sentries per shift and 8 hour shifts. Add to that 2 teams of 6 scouts each that forage, bring back what they find, hunt and also act as a quick reaction response force.
I figure you'd need 3 people manning the comms at the compound at 8 hour shifts. I also figure that you'd need one person with very advanced medical skills and the two scout teams would have one medic each.
Add to that 2 people prepping meals.

So the way I see it, the community has at least 18 folks between security, medic, comms and food prep.

Now consider that folks are families, so the food prep, comms and medic would be potentially the wives, mothers, daughters.

I would also be good to have a teacher or two, someone that's a quartermaster for the community, an armorer, mechanic, custodial/engineer type of a person.

Oh yes... neighbours - but not everyone lives in an area where they can trust the neighbours.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

Some good points. The big question though still stands: what is the sweet spot size wise. I know that there are considerations for regions, weather and so on. There is though a "starting point". A minimum around which you can build out. I'm curious what other people see that as.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
I doubt there is really one answer to the question. A lot depends on your location, whether urban or rural, the mindset of the members, what resources will be available to the group....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that the "base" group will be the same no matter what. Security, medical, operations are static to start with, and then when you grow they might need to expand, but the starting point will all be the same.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
How big of an area are you trying to secure? How much supplies are you going to protect? Those two variable alone will change how many in security you'll need.

Medical? OK... how old is everyone? Not every prepper is going to be in the 20-30YO slot. Do you have infants and toddlers? Nanna and Papa? Is everything going to be peaceful and quiet or are you going to take casualties?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Better to find a small town or village in a rural area. Our town has everything one would need survive for an extended period. Additionally the transportation network is good with a large mix of surrounding farms and pastures that food supply is enhanced. Can we depend on everyone pulling their share of the load? Maybe but the odds in our favor by more than ,,50-50

Reactions: Sister Abagail

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Idea of a small town and village is great if you're already there and are established. It also carries a fair amount of risk because you will carry the bums and naysayers as well.

But the question stands... If you were to design a community, what is your seed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Better to find a small town or village in a rural area. Our town has everything one would need survive for an extended period. Additionally the transportation network is good with a large mix of surrounding farms and pastures that food supply is enhanced. Can we depend on everyone pulling their share of the load? Maybe but the odds in our favor by more than ,,50-50

Jeff Cooper wrote this quote, that was added under someone's post I just read:

If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”

My Response:

Very True! Very Good! Excellent Advice! But I would ADD BECAUSE IT IS TRUE, Fear The LORD whom I Serve first, because HE IS JUST, GIVES ME ALL Abilities and Gifts I Have...and When HE Returns HE Is Coming Back as Messiah KING, as a Judge with HIS Righteous Holy Fair Justice Scales AND As a WARRIOR HEAD OF HEAVENS ARMIES (Jeremiah 30, Isaiah 66 & Revelation 19)!

Those not on the Side of Light & Truth, who commit Wicked Works of Darkness will Suffer the Wrath of GOD.... All Living Truth In the Light of the LORD, will see the Wicked being burned continuously by an Unending unquenchable FIRE & BEING Eaten by Magots that Never Die...for Eternity!

~Abagail~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts