Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am interested in a combination gun for my collection. I really like the Savage model 42, its a 410/22 combo. I wanted to get your guys thoughts on this gun and other models. Is this the best caliber combo? Does anyone have experience with this gun in particular?

·
Registered
81 Posts
savage makes a great 410/22. its a break barrel combo. synthetic stock, and feels really well made. runs about $400 for it though :/

I know you can buy a interchangeable 410/22 barrel gun for around $200.

I like the idea of it all being together instead of changing the barrels.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a Rossi Youth .22LR/.410, my dad bought it new for me 10 or 11 years ago. I still use it whenever I shoot, it works great and is as simple to use as it gets.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The over and unders never appealed to me much, but I do enjoy a lever 357 to go with the pistol and an AR 9mm to go with the numerous pistols.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think tops I've only shot it at 30 yards (.22), and it's dead on accurate. The .410 I've shot up to 25 yards, and as accurate as any other .410 I've shot at that distance. Great little gun, being a youth model, I'm going to pass it down to my nephew (1 year old right now), when he's a little bit older.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think tops I've only shot it at 30 yards (.22), and it's dead on accurate. The .410 I've shot up to 25 yards, and as accurate as any other .410 I've shot at that distance. Great little gun, being a youth model, I'm going to pass it down to my nephew (1 year old right now), when he's a little bit older.
Excuse my ignorance but it being a "youth" model, is it gonna feel tiny in a adults hands?

·
Registered
257 Posts
This one does (I'm pretty small, at 5' 3" on a good day), they of course come in regular "adult" models. I was only 10 when I was given this (checked the receipt, my dad bought it in 2001), and I was a tiny little kid. I can still shoot it just fine, but a larger adult may find it a little awkward to shoot. The small size does appeal to me though, broken down it fits into a backpack without protruding.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm pretty much a combo gun fanatic. I own several of the savage models along with one M-6 Scout. I have seen the newer synthetic Savages and am not impressed. Which combination depends on your intended used. My multi-purpose go to gun around the house is an older model 24 with .22 Mag over 20 gauge. For the woods I prefer my .357 Mag. over 20 Ga. A good starter is the one you mentioned, a .22 Long Rifle over 410 gauge. While I obviously like these type of firearms very much, frankly, if you need a shotgun a regular shotgun is much better and likewise with the rifle. The fit and finish is not great, they are heavy, and don't lend themselves real well to swing shooting the shotgun. On the plus side, you can kill most anything with feathers or fur with one and it is quite handy to have that feature at times. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Having spent many a day carrying all kinds of guns for hours at a time, I'm curious if the "benefit" of having two calibers on hand outweighs the disadvantages of weight, inherent inaccuracy compared to a single barrel weapon, and added time for any follow up shots.

Especially looking at the cost of the combination guns I'd be much more inclined to carry a .22 pistol in a holster, and any type shotgun I was interested in carrying on a sling, or in my hand. This allows MANY more shooting options. Trip and the long gun falls in the mud? Use the pistol. Friends gun jam? Give him one of yours. Like the idea of quicker follow up shots? Choose a semi-auto for the long gun, AND pistol. In a SHTF situation it's possible there could be a situation where your were forced to surrender you long gun, or it's even taken from you. Pretty thankful for that pistol aren't you!?! Having a problem with the firing mechanism on one gun? Sling it and pull out the other. You get the idea.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've questioned the 410 as a legit shotgun before and I was wrong to do so. It is a fantastic platform - but a narrow one too. I would look for one of those single shot 12ga guns like H&R/Pardner makes and then get a barrel drop in solution. It gives you MORE choices and a decent large shotgun. Besides 410 ammo is just as expensive as 12ga is. For the price, I'd like the oomph.

New England Pardner SB1 12 Ga 27 1/2" Barrel Wood : Single Shot Shotguns at GunBroker.com
KEPPELER GERMANY - Technische Entwicklungen GmbH - Sportwaffen - Metallschaft - Einsteckläufe - Insert Barrels
Short Lane
GaugeMate Platinum Shotgun to Pistol/Rifle

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have several semiauto handguns, rifles and revolvers of various calibers. I want this gun for our bugout hunting spot. There are duck, turkey, pheasant, dove, rabbit, snakes, and hogs all over our area and having 1 gun to carry instead of 2-3 appeals to me for hunting. Our location is extremely secluded and well hidden so security is a minimal concern there.

With regards to using a semiauto or having a follow up shot option, I've hunted for over 30 years and have no problem at all with the 1 shot 1 kill method.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
"Hunting 30 years" and got a perfect clean kill on the first shot EVERY time! Your surely well acknowledged in many record books! But never had the opportunity to take multiple turkey, duck, dove, rabbit, hogs?!? Shooting skill has little to do with need for a follow up shot in hunting. If you missed your target the first time, wild game is usually smart enough to be GONE before you reload. But a fast second shot could well net you a second prize (2 ducks taste better than 1)! I'd say give pistol hunting a try. Anybody I've known to do it never wanted to carry a long rifle in the field again. But given the option of carrying a shotgun with a pistol in a holster is something I've done regularly in squirrel season because the odds of seeing a grouse, duck, or other legal game the .22 is less than ideal for. I just can't see any possible benefit in carrying a heavier, slower swinging single weapon. But to each their own. If just looking for an added challenge, crossbows could be fun to!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have a Savage model 24, good gun but I would prefer the 20ga to the .410 that I have (traded for it)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"Hunting 30 years" and got a perfect clean kill on the first shot EVERY time! Your surely well acknowledged in many record books! But never had the opportunity to take multiple turkey, duck, dove, rabbit, hogs?!? Shooting skill has little to do with need for a follow up shot in hunting. If you missed your target the first time, wild game is usually smart enough to be GONE before you reload. But a fast second shot could well net you a second prize (2 ducks taste better than 1)! I'd say give pistol hunting a try. Anybody I've known to do it never wanted to carry a long rifle in the field again. But given the option of carrying a shotgun with a pistol in a holster is something I've done regularly in squirrel season because the odds of seeing a grouse, duck, or other legal game the .22 is less than ideal for. I just can't see any possible benefit in carrying a heavier, slower swinging single weapon. But to each their own. If just looking for an added challenge, crossbows could be fun to!
Ok that came out wrong, of corse I have missed. The point I was trying to make was I am experienced and know when to take a shot and when to wait. I definitely have a high hit rate. I use to guide for elk in Wyoming for years, I learned alot out there.

·
Registered
922 Posts
This one does (I'm pretty small, at 5' 3" on a good day), they of course come in regular "adult" models. I was only 10 when I was given this (checked the receipt, my dad bought it in 2001), and I was a tiny little kid. I can still shoot it just fine, but a larger adult may find it a little awkward to shoot. The small size does appeal to me though, broken down it fits into a backpack without protruding.
When you were a kid? Heck. you still are a "kid". At 22 you are the same age as my oldest grandson. :grin:
Yeah, I know. That makes me an old(er) fart.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts