Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Colt AR15-M4 at Walmart...

40K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Elia Cid 
#1 ·
After looking over a Colt M4 at Walmart I have decided to treat myself to one and put it on layaway ...
The quality and the weight of this AR looked and felt great ...Never thought I would buy something like this at Walmart ....
This will be my Christmas gift to myself....

COLT LE6920 AR15 M4 CARBINE 16" BARREL, 1 IN 7" TWIST, 223/5.56, 2 20 ROUND MAGAZINES

#2 ·
its really a great buy! i paid 1250 for my colt m4 in ca, notably nicer than my sig sauer m400. my sig was 1145, but didnt come with sling and the butt sock is flat not curved for your shoulder,leaving me after getting the proper fit and sling brings me to 1250 base. sweet! do it, i know youll be very happy!

#3 ·
Not bad! ;-)

#17 ·
I've had a blast shooting it. It is very accurate, little recoil, and easy to handle.

#20 ·
Are the DPMS AR-15's that bad I was thinking about buying one. I can't really afford the higher priced ones, I have a Smith and Wesson M+P 15 .22 and have a blast with it cause you can shoot till you get tired on a box of 525. Although the .22 ammo is getting really scare around here, The Smith is just my second rifle so I am trying to learn about the .223/5.56 rifles. The one I have just takes a few minutes to break down and clean. I was wondering, it doesn't look like there's that much difference except the barrel size. Thanks in advance.

#22 ·
OP, you are gonna love your Colt. Until recently they were illegal here in Cal but Colt changed the marking from AR 15 to M 4 and viola Colts are legal in Ca. again. (Yes, we have some really screwy gun laws here.)

Needless to say I was at Turners the next day pre ordering mine. I'm nothing but happy.

#24 ·
I hate to be the one nay-Sayer... but that isn't an M4. Colt just calls it an M4 so people will think its the latest generation of ARs and buy it. If you look at the picture... it's got an A2 Upper (I.e., the carry handle and the D-ring attachment)

And obviously you won't get a full auto version at Walmart.... or the 14.5" carbine barrel.

It's not bad as far as an A2... but please be aware that it is NOT an M4.

#25 ·
To the OP you have chosen wisely, great rifles.

Elia Cid. You may already know this but the SIG 556 is very different from an AR of any type. They are based on the SIG 550/551 Swiss rifles which utilize an AK type piston gas system where the AR uses the direct inpingement gas system. Some of the newer AR's can be had as piston guns and they work very well. The SIG 556 is heavier than the AR and even though the controls are basically the same as an AR the manual of arms is more like an AK. Triggers on the SIG 556 are different from the standard AR as well and tend to lend themselves to greater accuracy.

#26 · (Edited)
Tacman605,
Yes I was aware of the things you have well pointed out , I do extensive research as a former fire arms instructor and military person I pretty much knew what I was getting into , that being I loved the Sig innovations of the gas piston and all but the Sig 556 pistol was weighing in at 6.3 lbs unloaded and no stock , just holding it up without support or aiming it from the hips was not for me ,one day at range even carrying it with a shoulder strap was enough ... The carbine was even heavier at 8.2lbs ...

That being said Sig's are great shooters and flawless...I finally realized what I really wanted was a short barreled rifle with a stock and I could not just add a stock to the Sig 566 pistol...

After handling FNH SCAR 16S 5.56x45mm Nato/ 223 Remington this gun felt great fit and finish was excellent weighing in at a one pound less 7.25lbs than the Sig ...At that point I sold my Sig's and got most of my money back, SCAR's are not cheap ...
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

I walked into Wal-mart to buy ammo , surprised to find out they were selling AR's, handled the Colt M4 I so impressed I put one on layaway ,the Colt M4 was less than half the price of a SCAR, if I liked it I could use the extra money to do a build up or optics , If not I would could always get the SCAR down the road...

Sorry for the rant...

#28 ·
Oh ok did not know if you knew or not.

Yes the SCAR's are very good rifles however the military dropped the SCAR 5.56 from trials simply because it would not do anything the M4/M16 would not do. They did keep the SCAR 7.62 and it is used by a lot of teams here in different variations.

I use several different 5.56 rifles both DI and Piston guns and have no issues with them.

#30 · (Edited)
The Colt 6920 is an outstanding weapon and a good buy at 1097 as seen in walmart it is the same weapon it has always been only different stamping do to the Brady ban expiring. One draw back and it is the same with many brands It is a DU operated AR Direct gas. They get dirty and fouled require proper cleaning often. The newer version and the conversion kits to gas Piston is the way to go. They stay clean , some have not cleaned them even after many 1000's of rounds. they just do not get dirty from firing.
Colt offer the 6940P that is Gas piston. After owning a couple with gas piston I am sold on them. And the uppers and lower are interchangeable with standard AR's.
The lower cost Bushmasters and the like are not bad just not as good over the long haul as the Colts and higher quality ones.
Huldra Mark IV carbine 1 MOA out of the box gas piston as well made as any AR gets any where near the price range. They offer others the X1 ore is sub MOA out of the box

One of mine.

#31 ·
Our Wal-Mart doesn't sell guns anymore. Which is probably a good thing as the guys that worked the gun counter were idiots. Good for you on your new purchase, hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: Elia Cid
#34 ·
Not hard to remove them

#33 · (Edited)
Re: AR 15 Direct impingement VS Gas Piston
The M16/ar15 were originally designed with 20 inch barrels. But latter on the Army wanted a shorter version a rifle with a 11.5 in barrel so the came out with the m16-CAR which was a shorten version of the m16 with a 11.5 inch barrel, the m4 is basically the same thing but with out the carrying handle and a 14.5 inch barrel. But the M4 and CAR had one drawback and that is because of the short barrel the gas feed tube was greatly shortened which allowed the bolt to open before the chamber pressure was sufficiently lowered causing a lot more stress on parts compared to the longer m16, but that was under full auto fire so you probably won't have any problem with a 16 inch semi ar-15. The other problem is that the direct impingement adds extra heat and carbon into the receiver area. The gas Piston takes care of these issues but adds about a pound. The Army was looking for a replacement and FN came up with the scar-16 that did better in test but the army is hurting for funds and decide it would cost to much to replace all the m4s and m16s in service so they decide to keep the M4.
A good comparison between the scar-16 (state of art) and m4 SCAR vs AR; A detailed look... - M4Carbine.net Forums

#36 · (Edited)
Originally Posted by tacman605

To the OP you have chosen wisely, great rifles.

Elia Cid. You may already know this but the SIG 556 is very different from an AR of any type. They are based on the SIG 550/551 Swiss rifles which utilize an AK type piston gas system where the AR uses the direct inpingement gas system. Some of the newer AR's can be had as piston guns and they work very well. The SIG 556 is heavier than the AR and even though the controls are basically the same as an AR the manual of arms is more like an AK. Triggers on the SIG 556 are different from the standard AR as well and tend to lend themselves to greater accuracy.
Tacman605,
Yes I was aware of the things you have well pointed out , I do extensive research as a former fire arms instructor and military person I pretty much knew what I was getting into , that being I loved the Sig innovations of the gas piston and all but the Sig 556 pistol was weighing in at 6.3 lbs unloaded and no stock , just holding it up without support or aiming it from the hips was not for me ,one day at range even carrying it with a shoulder strap was enough ... The carbine was even heavier at 8.2lbs ...

That being said Sig's are great shooters and flawless...I finally realized what I really wanted was a short barreled rifle with a stock and I could not just add a stock to the Sig 566 pistol...

After handling FNH SCAR 16S 5.56x45mm Nato/ 223 Remington this gun felt great fit and finish was excellent weighing in at a one pound less 7.25lbs than the Sig ...At that point I sold my Sig's and got most of my money back, SCAR's are not cheap ...

I walked into Wal-mart to buy ammo , surprised to find out they were selling AR's, handled the Colt M4 I so impressed I put one on layaway ,the Colt M4 was less than half the price of a SCAR, if I liked it I could use the extra money to do a build up or optics , If not I would could always get the SCAR down the road...

Sorry for the rant... "

Please see link...I think he gives a very frank and accurate assessment of the two types...

#35 · (Edited)
Hi,
Well my baby is finally home ,
The Wal-Mart experience was a real trip...Some well meaning ladies that don't know anything about guns ...

Example :
1.What type of rifle scope do you have in stock "what do they look like "...:eek:
I said "BLACK"...

2. Do you carry 556 NATO "No but I think we sell some rifles that use that type of ammo"...:shock:
I said "You sell the rifle but not the ammo"...

Wal-Mart is starting to carry interesting optics for the AR platform from Nikon the P-223 and the M-223 series of scopes at decent prices ...

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

I hate these black guns you can never just let them be I come from the school of "if it's not broken don't fix it"....
So much for that... "lol"

That being said, I had earlier thought I would do my build up alone Magpul or Blackhawk line of products
I decided to go with Blackhawk over Magpul ... Magpul has some of the better thought out stuff for the AR platform just felt Magpul was a little to plastic looking for me , I don't mind a little plastic or rubber on the AR but not all over the rifle, that being said I'm ordering the Magpul rear sight, can't see paying over a $ 100 .00 for iron sights ...

I'm not saying Magpul not great stuff , just liked the fit and finish on the Blackhawk better ...I have the Blackhawk hand guard rails on order then I'll consider a light and laser...
Camera accessory Automotive tire Auto part Font Rectangle

I have not fired the rifle yet ,when I do I'll write a full review on the rifle and a separate review on the Eotech optics and post...

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Line Gun barrel

#37 ·
I am sold on Gas piston for many reasons. I would run from a DI if the deal was right .But the rest of mine from now on Gas piston

Reactions: Elia Cid
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.