Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Colt 6920 is a measuring stick for AR's. Out of the box it is a bear bones ready to go AR. A few distributors offer " enhanced version"But as far as Colt goes this is it. Nothing fancy just effective.
Air gun Trigger Wood Machine gun Gun barrel

What makes the AR platform great is how flexible it is. Tire of the carrying handle no problem take it off you have a rail insatll aftermarket rear A2 type sight good to go
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Shotgun

Few months latter ready for something different 7 1/4 inch free float 4 sided rail ( picture 1 of many option)
now you are ready to hang anything you want on. You may want rail covers them things are sharp. Front pistol grip not great for range shooting but if you need to smack someone great.
A more personalized grip makes some shooter happy as this one has. And while you are at it why not a tactical bolt release, just because you can.
If you want to a swap of the gas block will allow full length rails. Again easy to do.
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Best part none of this is overly expensive if you shop right, it allows you even more flexibility with your weapon, and none of it requires gun smith work no permanent changes are made to it and you can do it your self with basic tool and an AR armors wrench. The second shot shows it with a non free float hard mount rail. That was taken off and replaced it was then given to someone that needs it. It pays to hang out with AR owners.
Take from this there is little wrong when it comes to an AR. Your canvas your cash.

Reactions: nechaev and Ripon

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Unfortunately I'm headed to Ireland this week for my long awaited vacation. Only reason I say unfortunately is Sunday I had a "shot" at a Colt 901 with the 308 upper and of course it would work with my LE 6920 upper. I really want one of those, and the seller was at $2350 which isn't all that bad in this market. I just have my limited resources committed to the Mrs. for the next 12 days. So it goes.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I'm headed to Ireland this week for my long awaited vacation. Only reason I say unfortunately is Sunday I had a "shot" at a Colt 901 with the 308 upper and of course it would work with my LE 6920 upper. I really want one of those, and the seller was at $2350 which isn't all that bad in this market. I just have my limited resources committed to the Mrs. for the next 12 days. So it goes.
Check around they list closer to 2100 new

·
Registered
938 Posts
Nice post, Smitty!

I decided to go a different route. I went with the Colt LE6940 with the monolithic quad rail upper. I liked the factory fold down front sights, and the MaTech G.I. calibrated rear sights. I planned ahead and splurged on an EOTech 516.A65 with EOTech 3x FTS magnifier. I added a GripPod up front (combo bipod and vert grip), and dropped a Surefire light on a VTAC flashlight mount, along with a VTAC wide padded two point sling.

That Colt is back home in the safe, and I miss it bad. I figured out all I wanted to add and after I added everything up, I saved about $200 buying the 6940 - but I missed out on all the fun of modding a 6920 like you did.

People don't realize - only two companies make M4 carbines that are truly "mil-spec" - Colt and FN. And FN does not (yet) sell a commercial M4, so if you want the same M4 issued to our soldiers, only a Colt fills the bill.

Really well made top quality carbine - I cannot wait to get mine and go shooting with it.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice post, Smitty!

I decided to go a different route. I went with the Colt LE6940 with the monolithic quad rail upper. I liked the factory fold down front sights, and the MaTech G.I. calibrated rear sights. I planned ahead and splurged on an EOTech 516.A65 with EOTech 3x FTS magnifier. I added a GripPod up front (combo bipod and vert grip), and dropped a Surefire light on a VTAC flashlight mount, along with a VTAC wide padded two point sling.

That Colt is back home in the safe, and I miss it bad. I figured out all I wanted to add and after I added everything up, I saved about $200 buying the 6940 - but I missed out on all the fun of modding a 6920 like you did.

People don't realize - only two companies make M4 carbines that are truly "mil-spec" - Colt and FN. And FN does not (yet) sell a commercial M4, so if you want the same M4 issued to our soldiers, only a Colt fills the bill.

Really well made top quality carbine - I cannot wait to get mine and go shooting with it.
About two years ago They gave the contract for 25,000 plus M4 to Remington. US Government has rights to the M4 and M16 has for years they give the contract out to who ever they want.
That is why last year Remington was buying up every AR part on the market they contract was called and they need to deliver
U.S. Army places order for 24,000 M4A1 carbines with Remington | Military Times GearScout

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yeah, I remember reading that now.

But before then it was only Colt and FN - I also remember Sabre Defense was awarded a contract to make M4s but they could not meet the mil-spec interchangeability requirement, so they lost their contract, and then went bankrupt.

Wonder how Remington is performing? I bought the Remington R-25 and it is very high quality. True to original Stoner AR-10 design, too....

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I remember reading that now.

But before then it was only Colt and FN - I also remember Sabre Defense was awarded a contract to make M4s but they could not meet the mil-spec interchangeability requirement, so they lost their contract, and then went bankrupt.
Wonder how Remington is performing? I bought the Remington R-25 and it is very high quality. True to original Stoner AR-10 design, too....
Remington doing fine they have been in the field if it had gone south we would have heard about it. They were part of the shortage problem last year on barrel stock buy up so much.
Next I want to do a side by side with the gas piston show how they are the same weapon and parts have been changed
How you can convert a gas piston to Di or a Di to piston .
It may surprise some but the M16A4 is still in inventory and issued. The 20 inch barrel and solid rear stock still serve as a good longer distance option.
And the A4 version has the rail to except all the gear.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are experienced with AR and going in you know what you must have you surely can some times save a 100-300 dollars by getting one that already has the hardware you want. Saw a deal last week on 6920 enhanced version Magpul hardware standard 6920 1097 the enhanced was 1197 no brainer if the Magpul hardware fit your needs.
Another note on 6920 if you shop for used ones you may see some stamped LE only. meaningless. After the Brady bill the 6920 was non compliant so they were marked LE only and sold that way to police departments. That is where the tag LE 6920 came from. This is the stamp you will see. It will also help you age it. There is No difference in the weapon and you may see some try to get a higher price for them ,walk away.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Fuzzee when I get motivated I will do a side by side one DI and Piston. Switching back and forth right off for a ride get some work done.
I've done side by sides more than few times with various DI's to various piston AR's. And all I've found is, that while some piston systems are better in my opinion, compared to piston, direct impingement overall sucks. The only benefit for DI is a few more, more common parts, which a small detail if you simply buy spares instead of going on hope for replacements if you need them. You already know how much cleaner, cooler, staying lubricated longer and easier to maintain the piston AR's are. It's your rifle though. I'm looking at building another Adams system piston AR right now.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've done side by sides more than few times with various DI's to various piston AR's. And all I've found is, that while some piston systems are better in my opinion, compared to piston, direct impingement overall sucks. The only benefit for DI is a few more, more common parts, which a small detail if you simply buy spares instead of going on hope for replacements if you need them. You already know how much cleaner, cooler, staying lubricated longer and easier to maintain the piston AR's are. It's your rifle though. I'm looking at building another Adams system piston AR right now.
You know I am sold on Gas piston I have 4 Huldra's all have Adams Arm gas piston systems.
What I want to do is a lay out with all the parts for both, show what is the same what changes and how easy it is to swap back either way.
All it took for me was 200 rounds down range and then opened it up I was sold.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I thought I was going to get a Magpul 6920 today, but this piston stuff is messing with my head. I like the salt nitrided midlength barrels too.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought I was going to get a Magpul 6920 today, but this piston stuff is messing with my head. I like the salt nitrided midlength barrels too.
I will post a thread on gas piston today showing the parts and how simple the Adam arms design is.
A gas piston model is going to cost a bit more ,many of us feel it is well worth it.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I ordered this a few minnows ago

Error

link works,had an error the first time
Some what of a gamble but throw a stripped lower some sights you may have a good AR

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are a lot of substandard parts out there. A common way to sell them is to pass them off as miss marked brand name or over stock.
That is why I say it is a gamble. Some buy these parts assemble them then pass them off to unsuspecting buyers.
When a weapon is sold as part less the stripped lower it is by law not a gun and there for get away with a lot.
Not a weapon until you add the part and assemble soon as you do any liability is yours.
Often cheap lower kits the springs break or fail ,pins may break or not kit correctly.
Ask your self this how does a company miss stamp .223 on a 5.56 ?
If they did why go through the expense of treating them? just question you need to ask your self.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts