Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I took a picture of a satellite picture I have of the area around my home. It is 36x48 and mounted on a piece of plywood and overlaid with plexiglass.

I think this will be invaluable for planning op's, recons, etc.

A lot of the people I am planning on coming to the "ranch" when they bug out don't really know the area, I think the picture will help a lot to explain strategies, fields of fire, etc.

P1010107.JPG

I know the detail is bad, but its the idea I was trying to convey.

I purchased the map from this company.

Custom Topographic Maps and Aerial Maps for the USA & Canada

I have no affiliation with the company, just a FYI

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Yep I have digital files. My BOL has BLM scattered about. We have purchased some county parcel maps and have google earth digitals. It's great having that stuff available. My brother is planning on flying a drone around this summer or in the fall. Can't wait to see what it delivers. He flies his own planes too.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Digital files are great unless you can't access them (EMP or CME). I like the fact I can write on the map I have, I am old school I guess.

I would be interested in what type of "drone" you are talking about.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Nice. It would be nice to have the area's topo maps too.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If you have a hand held GPS like many that Garmin makes you can walk all over the area using animal trails, creek beds, and old paths that arn't on any tropo map. Then you can get on google earth and locate the area and get the coordinates of anything such as building, ponds etc. and add them to your GPS. Then you will truely have a one only map of the area. Be sure that you have Topo maps loaded on your GPS. You can even print out your one only map.

You can also use your smart phone to get a satellite view of the area you are in and e-mail it to yourself an print it out. It is great to take advantage of 21st century technology while it is still working.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The oblique view on Google Earth gives us useful 3D views like these near Florence Montana, ideal for anybody planning to hike some peaks.
They'd be especially useful if mist and fog clamps down, as they'd help us "read" the terrain in zero visibility and navigate around.
I just screenshotted these Rockies views a couple of minutes ago, dead easy and of course they could be printed out-

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello All

I took a picture of a satellite picture I have of the area around my home. It is 36x48 and mounted on a piece of plywood and overlaid with plexiglass.

I think this will be invaluable for planning op's, recons, etc.

A lot of the people I am planning on coming to the "ranch" when they bug out don't really know the area, I think the picture will help a lot to explain strategies, fields of fire, etc.

View attachment 2138
Great idea, BOL looks very good from the top! How much did the print cost you?

Also from the side! If you can just snap and print from google earth it might be cheaper that way.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Great idea M R, I will have to do this to our BOL

Doc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts