Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Camo vs plain? I think that a camo would say, hey I have stuff! A plain one would say that you have stuff but not prepared to fight off anyone. A bright orange or bright yellow one would be quickly identifiable for lost in woods situations though. What do you think?

·
Registered
693 Posts
In an SHTF situation, ANY pack is going to say "Hey I have stuff" In Iowa, people have camo coats, boots, pants, backpacks. I really think people put too much thought into the color, I like camo because if you are bugging out, it will blend better then a lime green. The only colors I worry about are brights, I choose base colors (blacks/grays/browns/camos) because they don't stick out at long distances.
All in all, i really don't think it makes a huge difference if you go black or camo, because EVERYBODY will assume the pack has stuff in it. You just have to carry stuff on you to defend yourself, and not make yourself stick out with your actions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is an idea. Wear a poncho type jacket over your bug out bag if you don't want anyone seeing what you have. In the city, everyone has a north face (Blah!) pack. I plan on getting a regular backpack that looks like one. ;-)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Im slight ocd and plan on making everything the same color... black... lol.. it has to match.. lmao..

as far as calling attention.. Im going to make up some t-shirts that say, please have pitty, we need water and food..

Think that will keep them away?

·
Registered
36 Posts
From my time overseas when we wanted to blend in we would try to do that, you want your bag to look like everyone else's, if you are in a city or suburban enviorment a black or even blue bag would work just fine, but if you live in a suburban or rural area that people usually wear cammo all the time it wouldnt stand out as much. The main thing you need to consider is blending in with your enviorment and that includes other people. in a SHTF senario lots of people would probably head to the streets with regular back packs because they DIDNT prepare. you can always put a poncho over a regular colored back pack to cammo it. If you are unable to cover it with other material... get spray paint! I have painted equipment, cars, back packs, gear, even my rifles to suit multiple enviorments. Remember its not what kind of fancy gear you can get its what you can adapt to fit your needs even if it means a little modification

·
Registered
245 Posts
acidlittle said:
In an SHTF situation, ANY pack is going to say "Hey I have stuff" In Iowa, people have camo coats, boots, pants, backpacks. I really think people put too much thought into the color, I like camo because if you are bugging out, it will blend better then a lime green. The only colors I worry about are brights, I choose base colors (blacks/grays/browns/camos) because they don't stick out at long distances.
All in all, i really don't think it makes a huge difference if you go black or camo, because EVERYBODY will assume the pack has stuff in it. You just have to carry stuff on you to defend yourself, and not make yourself stick out with your actions.
I agree. Carrying a pack says "I have stuff" just make sure you have a gun visible too. That says "get your own stuff"

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you are all wearing camo how am I supposed to find ya? I would say it would depend on the person. I buy whatever is the best deal. If it is orange it is orange. Get some camo burlap and ghillie it up. But on another note if you are wanting to be found your out of food, water and your hurt color can be your friend. I always pack a mirror, rescue blanket, whistle, and a bright colored towel. Just in case.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just got my new tactical pack in the mail. Digital camo from walmart.com and it's only 20 bucks. It's Wayfair.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like to go with Black bags and black supplies whenever possible. Trekking thru the city with a black backpack might not draw as much attention as a camo molle pack....but the opposite could be said in a rural community, where any non-camo bag would stand out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
oh definately. I wouldn't have a camo bag in the city. Even at the local community college everybody uses camo packs here. City I would probably go with understated colors. And again carrying a bag means you have stuff. People will be desperate and not as stupid as you might think. Carry a visible weapon.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would have to ask you guys what is the plan? If you live in the city are you leaving the city or are you looking for goods. If your leaving the city maybe have a stash house outside of town so you dont have to worry about carrying a packs. I know easier said than done.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had a decent post and screwed up and erased it.. uggg.. Ill just say, today I came accross the 5.11 covert 18. Youtube if it you have not seen it yet. I love the brighter green. It matches my sons stroller and depending on how big, might be good for EDC. If I can organize and fit everything I need from my BOB into that bag, then it will become my bob and Ill stick with the Maxpedition Jumbo S-Type Versipack as my EDC. I wanted the Rush 72, and will have to compare size.. I love the tactical packs though.

as far as what other people see and might do? I dont think it matters what color, size or look your back pack is.. If they want it, they will try to take it.. when SHTF, people will be looting stores... we already have muggings now.. people mugging others for whatever they have on their person in hopes to find anything they can use regardless is going to increase. Thats where your mace, knives, stun guns, etc will come in handy..

·
Registered
183 Posts
That looks like a nice pack. What is the price point? Color doesnt matter in my opinion. Like mentioned before you can cover your packs very easily if needed with a number of materials. I really feel we are closer to a shtf than we think. The gov. is getting really shady. The nuclear plant in japan is going to be a real threat in the next few months. Greece is just the first of the dominoes that will fall. People you need to get it together! I recently dug a hole in the woods and hid some of my silver and gold and very little cash which will be useless if shtf. Marked it on my maps. If they rob me on the way out they will not get much off me. All I can say is BRING IT!

·
Registered
104 Posts
$129 on the 5.11 site. My daughter found a pack at Kmart she likes but honestly, she tears her book bags up and I dont see it working out like a tactical bag. I saw a review where it was put to the test and still looked like new and held up really well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I live near a good military surplus store and he had the sand color packs for $35. It has a place for a water bladder where the mouth piece comes through the shoulder strap. It has 3 seperate compartments the smallest is where I put my tools (can opener, compass, spork, water purification tablets,small flashlight,ect.) then the middle pouch I put gloves bandanas, clothes. Then the third one I put food and cooking pan there. There's more in there just to much to list. I figure if it's good enough for the military, it's good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
A lot matters. Are you carrying a rifle or other exposed heavy weapon, because it doesn't matter as much at that point as you're going to be seen as a threat to someone you come across. What's your plan too. Evade people and stick to bush or walking along roads with lots of people. What kind of bugout too. From work to home or home to hell and back? I like black myself for low profile with just a CCW and get home bag, but if shtf hard and I've got to bugout where it could be long term I prefer camo. Old reliable Od green honestly is still my favorite, but the rifle in my hands and rest of my visible rig still makes me a threat to someone who doesn't know me. Which is why I'll stick to the bush if I'm forced to go to ground and had to leave my vehicle and other supplies behind.

·
Registered
570 Posts
It has been said before, but I'll say it again: the idea of the "gray man" is a myth, a joke. In the event of a true SHTF situation, anybody and everybody with stuff will be a target, regardless of how they appear. There is no "blending in" with a society that is collapsing in on itself. If you look like you have lots of stuff, you'll be an early target. If you look like you have some stuff, you'll be a target of opportunity. Best case scenario is to, using the military term, appear as a hard target, the guy would be scavengers, thieves, etc, wouldn't want to screw with. Even then, you're still a target, just not one they'll want to openly confront early on. If you really have to bug out, you need to avoid unnecessary contact with people in general. Don't be seen. Camouflage helps in some areas with this, but isn't necessarily crucial. Staying off main roads, avoiding gathering points, traveling at night, and generally getting out population centers is a good idea.

In a less serious situation, this might not always be the case, but the principle is still the same.

Personally, my BOB is solid color, Coyote Brown. I would prefer it to be MultiCam (like the rest of my kit), but I can live with CB.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Here is an idea. Wear a poncho type jacket over your bug out bag if you don't want anyone seeing what you have. In the city, everyone has a north face (Blah!) pack. I plan on getting a regular backpack that looks like one. ;-)
Go put your bag on your back then throw a poncho on and look in the mirror.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a 5.11 tactical Rush 72 back pack in Sand Stone. It will blend in, in the woods but is not all camo to stand out to much in an Urban environment. I would suggest a blaze orange tarp in your pack if you need to be seen.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts