Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have not. The material I've seen available (minted coins / bars) carry far too much mark up to bullion cost to my liking. I don't begrudge them, there is a cost to any business, but to have to pay 23/33% more then a products worth, I'd stick with silver which is well below 10% and sometimes bought below spot.

·
Registered
887 Posts
copper has a use far beyond currency. I will not elaborate further. I have near a 1/4 mile of copper tubing both for trade and barter or sell to the right buyer. Im not getting ripped off on this valuable metal. Its most valuable as tubing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Copper is about $3.50/lb. Plenty of it around if the SHTF, easy enough to melt down. Those quarters may be neat, but they aren't worth their weight in copper, as far as I'm concerned.

Remember, miners didn't have to stamp their wire, leaf, or nuggets of gold before they had value!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a couple of rolls of a good grade of sheet copper stashed for future use, if need be.
I used to work at/own a scrap metal recycling facility. I don't know if copper would be as valuable as silver simply because if SHTF, there's still a lot laying around in various forms at many locations.

My .02 worth.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I wouldnt buy it as an investment but Im not selling what I got. I se it more as a workable metal. Then an investment. Silver is best for investing IMO. Golds just out of my pricerange.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I never understood the draw of precision metals. The only metal I collect is lead be it used wheel weights to any other source. With the, Cast Iron Pot, heat, thermometer and a few molds I can make bullets that will actually be worth something when the SHTF. Gold, silver and even copper will have little value or will diamonds and other precession stones. If you can't eat it, grow it or take game with it if the SHTF for real that stuff would really have no more value. For that matter neither will money/currency/coin it doesn't matter, as anything short of that isn't really the SHTF.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
That's all fine and great so long as you don't plan on re entering society one bit.

I never understood the draw of precision metals. The only metal I collect is lead be it used wheel weights to any other source. With the, Cast Iron Pot, heat, thermometer and a few molds I can make bullets that will actually be worth something when the SHTF. Gold, silver and even copper will have little value or will diamonds and other precession stones. If you can't eat it, grow it or take game with it if the SHTF for real that stuff would really have no more value. For that matter neither will money/currency/coin it doesn't matter, as anything short of that isn't really the SHTF.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That is precisely why it will increase in value rapidly,and soon. And as I ,and others, have said here many times---it has been used as money for 5,000 years. Paper has always failed.
Furthermore,silver is used in hundreds of medical & industrial applications. When the SHTF event is over,it will have value for those reasons
With the silver price down I stopped in my local coin shop today to pick up a few rounds and build my stockpile somewhat. The owner said they didn't have anything except 2013 eagles at $34, which is $4 or so over spot. He said when the price dipped buyers came in and snapped up their supply. Maybe this will bring the price up.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Just my take gold,silver copper what ever is maybe an investment tool for normal times.
SHTF worthless and a death warrant. If you tried to barter with Gold or silver someone is going to take it and your life with it.
I tend to focus on things that will keep us alive Gold nor silver will.
Copper now that has some uses.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try and use the older wheel weights, the ones with a steel clip. They have antimony alloyed with the lead making it harder. The stick on wheel weights are just soft lead.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You don't understand because you haven't researched on other sites or thought about the reasons given in MANY postings here.Maybe you are being closed minded about it
I do understand economically however that is based the value of these things value that won't probably exist after it collapse. Now goods that can be bartered with will have value but money/value won't matter much with no economy as it is today.

·
Registered
24,226 Posts
I fail to understand two things:

1) Why people can't understand that precious metals have been used as money for thousands of years. By suggesting they will not be in the future is to say that people were a lot smarter than people of today, and that we aren't able to learn.

2) Why people believe that perishable items are a store of value. They are not. It makes no difference if it is a bullet or a can of beans, there is some sort of shelf life or the item is used, and thereby loses its ability to store value.

3) Actually, there is a 3rd thing. If these metals are not worth all that, why is it that those nations that are sick of America's fiscal stupidity are scrambling to get all they can?

The only hedge against currency wars is precious metals, and those other nations know this. They also know our economy is built on debt, and that will collapse. It is going to be a mess when it does. That mess is going to include global chaos and war.

Happy days.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts