Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone put up? Real tree or artificial? And when do you all put the tree up? Inor says we should do it all Christmas eve, which means about half the time I have to go hunt up a tree and put it up myself just because he is out of town. And I sure don't wait until Christmas eve.

One thing I noticed this year was a lack of tree lots. Haven't seen a boy scout tree lot in years.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have a pre lit fake tree, bought it after christmas last year and it kind of looks like the tree on the Charlie Brown Christmas special.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
What does everyone put up? Real tree or artificial? And when do you all put the tree up? Inor says we should do it all Christmas eve, which means about half the time I have to go hunt up a tree and put it up myself just because he is out of town. And I sure don't wait until Christmas eve.

One thing I noticed this year was a lack of tree lots. Haven't seen a boy scout tree lot in years.
In Minnesota Christmas lights must go up before it snows so anytime after July 6 and before October but you would be pushing it. Christmas tree must be real and cut before the ground freezes so see previously posted dates. As for the Boy Scouts, they were deemed a hate group by the ACLU and were dragged into the streets and beaten.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
A pre lit artificial tree, decorated a lot.
Cannot see paying what is asked for a live tree, harvested in Sept., that will most likely be dead by Christmas.
Our tree is on a rotating base so that all decorations can be enjoyed.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Our first year in Minnesota we had the ugliest tree it was worse than a Charlie Brown tree. Nowadays I put up a 6' artificial tree, usually the weekend after Thanksgiving. But this year MG s mom was here and she wanted to give her Christmas gifts to the kids before she left back to Fl.

The problem with the tree going up on Christmas eve is this is my birthday. I am absolutely anti-Christmas until after I have had my birthday cake. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Fake tree. The wife usually wants it put up just after Thanksgiving. This year we didn't put it up until last week. I say we, this is the wife's domain. I stay out of it and therefore don't get in trouble.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I'm sitting with my feet at the base of our short needle real pine tree.

I tried the artificial, . . . to me it's kinda like kissing your best girl through the screen door. Just ain't the same.

'Sides that, . . . it allows me to remember better times with loved ones long gone.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Fake we live on the farm we have plenty of trees and some very big pines to look at. The Christmas tree is fake.
It can go up sooner and stay up longer. And don't leave needles all over

·
Registered
904 Posts
Our holiday tree gathering mission was epic. I loaded up all 3 kids and the wife in my trusty old '76 Toyota FJ40 LandCruiser and headed up the mountains to get our tree. As we broke into a clearing near the summit, 6 bull elk strutted across the clearing about 100 yards from us. Two more switchback turns, on a narrow windy dirt/mud road found our path blocked by a fair sized oak tree that fell in our recent windstorm. I pulled out about 75' of winch line and was able to drag the tree down the road until gravity took hold and it went over the side. Once we gained elevation we were past the oaks and into the conifer trees. We spotted a beautiful 6' douglas fir that had full branches on all sides and cut it down. After tying it on the roof rack, I took out my pack basket. Inside I had stashed cups, my MSR stove, hot chocolate and water. We all had a nice sit-down break enjoying hot chocolate and enjoying the scenery. Headed home and put up the tree. Most years we end up with a Charlie Brown tree, but this year was an exception. Good memories! (P.S. All done on very private property with permission)

·
Banned
2,112 Posts

It's probably because it's not safe for them, being as they actually stand against things that aren't exactly popular to stand against. I miss the days of being a Scoutmaster.

Anyway, we put up a real tree. Though this year I made my wife wait to get one. Last year, that damn thing was up for almost 6 weeks since she "needs" to get it the weekend of Thanksgiving. That thing dried out worse than the Sahara in a heat wave and I was worried about even turning the heat on for fear of it lighting on fire from warm air. Would have been safer and less damage to light off a rocket engine in my living room.

Reactions: Inor

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I quit killing baby trees a long time ago. I bought live trees for a few years and then decided to just decorate the ones outside the house.
Nowadays there isn't a tree, or presents. My wife and I exchange hand-made gifts and we love it. We get gifts for the grand-kids but that is about all we do for Christmas.
Home made eggnog and fudge is what puts my wife in the Christmas mood - well that and a Christmas goose.

Reactions: indie

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
It's probably because it's not safe for them, being as they actually stand against things that aren't exactly popular to stand against. I miss the days of being a Scoutmaster.

Anyway, we put up a real tree. Though this year I made my wife wait to get one. Last year, that damn thing was up for almost 6 weeks since she "needs" to get it the weekend of Thanksgiving. That thing dried out worse than the Sahara in a heat wave and I was worried about even turning the heat on for fear of it lighting on fire from warm air. Would have been safer and less damage to light off a rocket engine in my living room.
Where are the rest or you?!?! I thought you all were my friends? Out of all the posts on this thread, only bigdogbuc has my back! :)

Mrs Inor is WAY into Christmas. She decorates EVERYTHING! We have to have the stockings hung on the banister going into the foyer (with care) because the mantle-piece is covered with something like 847 Santas and there is no way we could get anywhere near the chimney without renting some kind of cherry picker truck! Starting the day after Thanksgiving, I pretty much have to duct tape my elbows to my rib cage to keep from breaking some insanely old family Christmas heirloom!

But following in the Charles Dickens tradition of a Victorian Christmas, the Christmas tree is to be brought into the home on December 23rd and decorated on the evening of the 24th, after the kids have gone to bed and we have had a sufficient number of egg nogs (or is it egg grogs?) I mean this is British Common Law! It is everything our Constitution is based on! I'll have to check, but I am pretty sure it is even written in the Mayflower Compact. Regardless, it is obviously unconstitutional to decorate the Christmas tree before December 24th!

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Inor, I always, ALWAYS have your back, I just forgot to anwser this post..We decided to forgo the tree and decorations until next year. we are still unpacking and situating the house. I couldn't move my future wife into a new home with everything from the old house, so I have spent a little money on some "new housewares". Nothing extravagant, just a few dressers and a nice entertainment stand.
We have opted for the barebones Christmas, being that we just paid all the deposit and plus the moving expences. She has made me promise not to but her anything, but thankfully she isn't aware of this site, becouse I had already baught her some things. One set of nice glass covered cookware, and a nice camo purse. And a DVD player for her vehicle, she has a "mobile office", sometimes, so she watches dvd's.
Oh, and always, always on the lookout for anything elephant related(her favorite).

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I got a pretty small place and started out with a small Living Christmas Tree a couple of years ago. It started off about 2 feet and its now grown to a pruned hight of just an inch or two under 4 feet. I will be repotting it this spring and hope it will be about 5 feet come next year. At that point I guess I will have to use an appliance dolly like you move a fridge with to move it from out side to inside as its going to be a little big and heavy to keep muscling around back and forth. Its been pretty cool watching it start from a pretty humble beginning and to now see it taking some pretty nice shape and size about it. I will probably have to up grade on the size of orniments next year as the medium size balls are looking kind of on the small size.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
We use a Fake Tree due to the fact we put the tree and all our decorations up the day after Thanksgiving and it last longer...Its up in the living room and its the same tree we have had for 20 years and we love it cause its been through all the good and bad times with us...

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Inor exaggerates - there are only 87 Santas.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Fake here, If we brought a real one home one of our white pines might see it and fall on our house.we put up real lights though,leds.a month before thanksgiving.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will never put up a real tree my life. After having a fire in my house, I would never put up a realtree because of the fire danger. I use artificial

·
Registered
172 Posts
When MG and I were first married, our first Christmas we wanted to get a live tree. We went to the boy scout lot and picked one out. I put it in the back yard to hose it off and in the morning I put the tree in the house. The tree had been in the house for probably two weeks when we realized it was infested with ants and now the house was filed with ants... never again have we bought a live tree.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts