Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
The one that I can't see any way around is going to be a fridge/freezer so I still have to do some math to figure out how many batteries I will need+solar panel upgrade to be able to power the fridge/freezer and some lights.

Absorption type LP gas refrigerator like used in an RV. The newer ones require 12VDC for the control panel but use very little electric.

An option is a small chest freezer with Johnson controller used like a frig.

As someone who occasionally assists with hydro and solar setups you probably are going to want a bit more solar panels and larger batteries. A simple roof mounted solar water heater panel may be your best bet although long ago I worked for a wood stove shop that sold wood stoves that could accept water pipe inserts for providing hot water.

I'd strongly suggest that you look at homepower.com for ideas to help with your solar system. I suggest that site to any potential customers who call me with energy production questions related to my business.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Yes, I was thinking about using a chest type freezer. As far as the water heating goes I think I'm all set. At the moment I have about $150,000 to carry out this project. I know that I'm in a very fortunate situation and I want to be able to do this right the first time. FoolAml, I will take a look at that site to see if I can't plan this out a little better. Thank you for all of your suggestions with this!

Discussion starter · #27 ·
What is the upside to using this in conjunction with the freezer? It says that the freezer plugs into the external thermostat which gets plugged into mains. Do normal chest freezers draw power continuously and the purpose of this is to only have the freezer turn on when it starts going above the set temperature?

Hot air rises. When you open a refrigerator door all the cold goes out the bottom. A chest freezer you open ontop plus is better insulated so more efficient. Chest freezer only adjusts for temperatures below freezing. The Johnson controller allows you to adjust from 20 degrees & up.

Here is another option for both frig & freezer. Solar power a chest freezer. Use 2L plastic bottles for refreezing. Rotate the plastic bottles in coolers for frig. If a longer drive to get food stores you can take one of the coolers.

That is actually how I have my solar powered chest freezer set up for SHTF. There is a large cooler in the storm shelter that I can rotate the water jugs. Plus I have a smaller 36qt cooler I keep in my vehicle all the time.

If I were to be doing a lot of off grid solar I wouldn't put it all in at once. I would do like one 20amp circuit per year. That way I'm not going to have to replace all batteries at once. Controllers, inverters, etc all the same so interchangeable. Probably 35amp controller. Probably 2,000 or 2,500watt inverters. Number of batteries for each circuit would depend on expected daily AH draw on the circuit.

With an LP tank, refill would be required at some point.
I think he is seeking a self-contained solution. Hence, solar.

Solar, hydro, wind, whatever, eventually batteries will go bad & need replaced. So long storage time of some LP would be an advantage.
Sure, redundancy is always advantageous.
However, if used as the primary source of energy, which one outlives the rest?
I'd put LP at the bottom.
Good for backup, but not for self-sustained, off-grid, primary energy.

Primary energy leads to another issue. That would be heating the home in winter. Because of no mention of that I'm wondering if this is the kid that has been here before trolling & wasting our time.

No matter who it is, baby steps.

Some people's minds put some things higher in priority without recognizing other, possibly more important, things.
Like those who put guns before food and water.

Perhaps he's legitimately not thought about heating in the winter, and your mention could spark that conversation.

I am not all that solar smart, but I have always figured it's good for charging batteries running some lights and charging some low drain gismos. If you want to heat your cabin and have hot water. Wood burning stove seems to be the logical answer to me.
Kitchen Queen Stoves, Kitchen Queen Cookstove this baby isn't cheap, but it will do what you need, and you won't be farting around freezing to death playing with solar panels.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.