Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a vehicle that will be a utilitiy vehicle for me as well as a daily driver. My preference is for something like a Chevy Astro van - has a frame, can tow, is fairly comfortable to travel and drive and comes with safety bags. Unfortunately, it is full of electronics...would not fair well with EMP...also I would prefer a vehicle like this that has an engine that uses an alternative fuel - like biodiesel (or even straight veggie oil) or alcohol, not so much for bugging out but living in a world where gasoline may be difficult to find. Any ideas?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Maybe a VW van if you have your heart set on diesel then convert it to burn veggie oil, it can still burn diesel and if you get in a jam go to Costco and buy peanut oil. Otherwise an Astro van is a great little workhorse. Good luck.

punch

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I am from the U.S. but teaching in China now. The poor service record for the Astro seems to be from the crummy transmission they put in it, the strange place they put the fuel pump, and a few other minor things. Japanese vehicles are usually more dependable but I cannot find one that will do what I want it to - especially that has the interior space that I want. A VW van would be wonderful, especially if I could buy a diesel van but they don't sell them in the U.S. The old style of VW van does not tow well. Smog laws may well limit me to a Ford Econoline 350 or 450 because they are old enough to be smog exempt. The Econoline is a bit too big for my tastes though....decisions!

·
Registered
28 Posts
you can get a diesel express van. get one of the older ones with the 6.5td do the reasearch you get the right block # on a 6.5 it will run forever. and they're built on truck frames.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.