Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
And so does south America. West Africa's not the only place. The only trouble is that we really need the rainforest. In case this little fact, the rainforests supply 30,% of the clean air for the planet. Besides, there's plenty of room in central America for growing cacao.
How will we know where the chocolate is coming from?
Banning imports like this doesnt seem to be on Obummers radar. (He's got all the chocolate he needs..)

Reactions: indie

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

·
Registered
203 Posts
We need to clear up a few terms that the news is tossing around. Infectious versus contagious. Ebola isn't hugely contagious. It doesn't travel rapidly thru a population. It is HIGHY INFECTIOUS, meaning if you get near an infected person or object only ONE virus particle can infect you compared to most illness which requires thousands of virions. It can become more contagious if the area is full of more infectious material. If your area is not full of people with Ebola, your risk is low because it won't waft in on the air. If your area is crowded with human beings who are ill you have a high risk. If your area is crowded with people who COULD have Ebola you face some risk.

We don't know how long it lives on fomites. I would assume fomites in any area that is possibly infected, are carrying virus. I would assume those tents where MSF is treating ill African people, are absolutely loaded with virions. I doubt you could find a square inch that wasn't infectious. I would also think that those tents have a high degree of aerosolized Ebola virions. I would make me feel better if they used PAPRs in there. I suspect that Duncan's room was highly contaminated as well.

Highly contagious is when a disease spreads very rapidly from person to person with little to no contact. Ebola isn't like that, but, if you get near it, be damned careful because ONE, ONE tiny invisible string of RNA can kill you. In an environment where you do not know who could carry it, it would be wise to act like it was very contagious as well.

I have been stuck with needles 3 times, twice with Hep B+ blood. I did not get any of those diseases probably because both Hep B's where lancet picks, and I didn't get enough virus in me to cause disease. I was vaccinated SIX times against Hep B and I do not make antibodies. If that was an Ebola stick, I would likely not have been that lucky, ONE particle can cause disease in humans. As a species, we have seldom faced a pathogen that takes only one virion to cause a fatal disease. If this spread like flu or measles, we would be in very deep doo. It does NOT spread like flu or measles, so, the public can relax for a while and keep prepping. This will be a slow spread and we will play whack a mole for a while before this gets widespread....assuming nothing changes in terms of getting it under control.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
So, if the Ebola were to kill all of the West Africans, the rainforest's would theoretically thrive and we would have cleaner air? Hmmm...
Well, that and the minor issue of destroying all the coal-fired power plants, but yeah... :D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
if this spread like flu or measles, we would be in very deep doo. It does not spread like flu or measles
YET. As far as we know.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
We need to clear up a few terms that the news is tossing around. Infectious versus contagious. Ebola isn't hugely contagious. It doesn't travel rapidly thru a population. It is HIGHY INFECTIOUS, meaning if you get near an infected person or object only ONE virus particle can infect you compared to most illness which requires thousands of virions. It can become more contagious if the area is full of more infectious material. If your area is not full of people with Ebola, your risk is low because it won't waft in on the air. If your area is crowded with human beings who are ill you have a high risk. If your area is crowded with people who COULD have Ebola you face some risk.

We don't know how long it lives on fomites. I would assume fomites in any area that is possibly infected, are carrying virus. I would assume those tents where MSF is treating ill African people, are absolutely loaded with virions. I doubt you could find a square inch that wasn't infectious. I would also think that those tents have a high degree of aerosolized Ebola virions. I would make me feel better if they used PAPRs in there. I suspect that Duncan's room was highly contaminated as well.

Highly contagious is when a disease spreads very rapidly from person to person with little to no contact. Ebola isn't like that, but, if you get near it, be damned careful because ONE, ONE tiny invisible string of RNA can kill you. In an environment where you do not know who could carry it, it would be wise to act like it was very contagious as well.

I have been stuck with needles 3 times, twice with Hep B+ blood. I did not get any of those diseases probably because both Hep B's where lancet picks, and I didn't get enough virus in me to cause disease. I was vaccinated SIX times against Hep B and I do not make antibodies. If that was an Ebola stick, I would likely not have been that lucky, ONE particle can cause disease in humans. As a species, we have seldom faced a pathogen that takes only one virion to cause a fatal disease. If this spread like flu or measles, we would be in very deep doo. It does NOT spread like flu or measles, so, the public can relax for a while and keep prepping. This will be a slow spread and we will play whack a mole for a while before this gets widespread....assuming nothing changes in terms of getting it under control.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping to hear from one of our forum RN's. I do feel better having as much knowledge as possible.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Well, that and the minor issue of destroying all the coal-fired power plants, but yeah... :D
First off, I like coal fired power plants. Second, they emit clean STEAM! The scrubbers at every coal fired power plant in the US do a wonderful job of taking the pollutants out of the system via a process called FGD- Flue Gas Desulfurization, using Limestone Forced Oxidation. Here in the US, we have perfectly clean emissions and the end by-product is chemically identical to Gypsum Mineral.
Having said that I still wouldn't mind a few more nuke plants. I like energy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
more proof this is a liberal plot, by the obamas.. end chocolate imports to the us, this would be another step in the war on fat people in the usa and would make obamas wife wetter than a slip in slide.. and I thought choc. came from a town in pa.

·
Registered
12 Posts
And so does south America. West Africa's not the only place. The only trouble is that we really need the rainforest. In case this little fact, the rainforests supply 30,% of the clean air for the planet. Besides, there's plenty of room in central America for growing cacao.
The 3rd cleanest air in the world is sampled by NOAA down at Kumukahi Point, about 30 miles SE of Hilo. the two other cleaner places are both in Antarctica.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts