Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Chinese type 53 from Bud's Gun Shop yesterday. They say it's in NRA good condition. I have yet to see one of these M44 clones in any condition other than OMG, where did they dig that thing up at? Provided all of the metal is in tact, the gun shoots and is useable I plan to sand the stock down and refinish it in a black walnut, re blue the metal parts and polish the bolt. If in the end I can get a nice looking shooter for 125.00 and a little elbow grease I'll be happy. I opted for this rather than the 2500.00 PTR 91 and 1000 rounds of .308. When I get the 880 rds. of 7.62x54R I'll be out a total of $325.00.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Did you get the carbine? I've been, for reasons I don't fully claim to understand, tempted to order the carbine.

You are now ready incase a charging Rhino or bulldozer tries to storm the compound. Enjoy the new toy, they are a real BLAST. Literally, lol.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics will ensue. Yeah, these things are punishing. I'm just going to buy light ball, surplus. The fireball should be impressive. The Type53 is a carbine. The Chinese never used the 91/30 because they are too short for such a long rifle. I'll post some before and after pictures. If getting a big bang for your buck is what you are into, this is the way to go. I have a very nice 30-06 but this is still $700.00 cheaper to buy this and 880 rounds than 1000 rounds of 30-06.

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
Fire some Wolf brand 203 grain rounds thru it. It doesn't really kick bad, and it will get the attention of everyone else on the firing line.
Sometimes for grins-n-giggles I'll break out my M-44 at the range, and while wearing a Vietnam Veteran cap, using loaded 45 ACP rounds for ear plugs (they work great - an Old Soldier trick), I'll touch off a few rounds of Wolf. Man, I'm here to tell ya, I get PLENTY of elbow room on the firing line.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a member of another forum that is full of Mosin purists who believe you should never re-finish or alter these pieces. I, for one, believe that they were wielded by the enemy, produced in high numbers and may have shot at or killed one of my countrymen. I'll do whatever I want to it. To the victor goes the spoils. :)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Recoil on these isn't bad at all, I have an M38 that I take out and shoot once in a while. The short ones are neat to fire at dusk.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked up my Type 53 from my local gun shop today. The rifle was far cleaner than I expected. The stock won't require refinishing, the bore is good or better, the bluing is at about 95% and not a speck of rust anywhere. I can't believe that these things aren't flying off the shelves. They are only $119.00 and rock solid, high powered combat rifles. Here are a couple of pics.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The song, "For Those About To Rock" comes to mind. I'm looking forward to the range report!

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm scared. :) Better drink me some Geritol.

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
I am a member of another forum that is full of Mosin purists who believe you should never re-finish or alter these pieces. I, for one, believe that they were wielded by the enemy, produced in high numbers and may have shot at or killed one of my countrymen. I'll do whatever I want to it. To the victor goes the spoils. :)
I belong to a few of those forums as well. Where simply asking about refinishing a stock can get you banned. Although the most notorious of those was dedicated to Mosin Nagants and went belly up.
i'm a certified mil-surp gun nut.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I've been lusting after a Mosin Carbine since I bought my 91/30 I just haven't found the right deal on one yet. Have fun with it and be sure to tell us how it shoots for you.

-Infidel

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will. I don't know if type 53's will be available for long but I am quite certain the nice ones will soon be a thing of the past. Other clones like Polish M44's are getting hard to find. Every supplier is warning these may be the last shipments of Russian guns too. (They have been saying that for a while though)

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sanded it down, refinished it in red mahogany, dismantled and polished the bolt, thoroughly scrubbed the bore and now it just needs the headspace checked and a few linseed oil treatments. Next and final firearms related purchase is 880 rounds of surplus light ball.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess there are some rare examples of Mosins but this type 53 is as common as rice at a wedding. I think the comparison to a stevens shotgun is accurate. I don't know how anyone could say that a 100.00 rifle is a cherished and venerated object worthy of a display case. People modify their GI 1911 pistols constantly and that piece is far more worthy than an old Mosin.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I hand picked my 91/30 in what most have told me is "Excellent condition" 9 years ago for $129.00. Today it's apparently worth:

Russian M91/30, Mosin Nagant, 7.62x54R Excellent W/Accessories - Impact Guns

Woopty poopty. It's fun to shoot, as accurate as can be expected, and fun to own because it's history pre-dates me by 80 years (under the butt plate the stock is stamped 1890 something!). $10 worth of appreciation in a decade isn't exactly going to stop me from modifying it, or giving it away to somebody I think needs it more than I do some day.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's funny. But that's an 8% appreciation rate. :)

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally got my cleaning rod and sling attached. I put a satin Tru Oil finish on it. It shoots great. 1" groups at 100 yards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts