Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Been there, done that. Now my daughter has taken over and found out how much work it is . Neighborhood cats have taken a liking to them. I prefer rabbits myself and have started raising them again after a 5 year vacation from them. First litter was born last week. When they aren't fum for the kids to play with anymore, they go in the freezer. Rabbits are easier to clean and take care of than chickens for me.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I've heard the same with the rabbits, much easier to take care of and also brings more $ if you were going to sell them down the road also. I have been very seriously considering Leon's idea with the guinea pigs, even though this might sound gross to some, its a part of life in other countries. I think if I go this route, then I wouldn't actually eat any of them until I actually had to. Andrew Zimmerman (the guy that will eat anything on food channel) had these on one of his shows. BTW, not for the timid.

http://www.prepperlog.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=163&p=1376&hilit=pigs#p1376

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
here's Hank's chicken coops, they expanded since then but he's putting out around 12 eggs a day now. Guinea pigs and rabbits included

[youtube:2bo6co1a]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqYs8FPGEfg[/youtube:2bo6co1a]

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Our city just went through this huge ordeal of chickens; "To be? Or not to be?" They finally relented and said we could keep four. No roosters. So many feet from the adjoining property, yada yada yada. The debate got really heated, the city council tried some illegal side step to ban them. It was crazy. I haven't witnessed animosity like that in a while. You would have thought they were debating about Obama and whether or not it was true that he sucks as president.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lately, I've really been liking the idea of having my own chickens. From what I understand, in Houston where I live, theres a 30 chicken limit, and the coop must be at least 100ft away from your neighbors house. I'm just going to have to stay under the legal radar with the distance requirements since I would be considered an Urban prepper and our land is probably 1/5 to 1/4 of an acre. I think I'm going to start with 6 chickens and see where it goes from there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have chickens. We also have rabbits. I love to eat both. I find chicken easier to cook than rabbit, but love the feed to meat conversion of a rabbit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have heard that about rabbits. I do like eating chickens & eggs though. If the market would bear, I would raise & sell the rabbit meat till SHTF. I would then change my diet to more rabbit based. Only problem would be the wife. She has a hard time eating the venison that I harvest, except for the ground version. She seems to like cooking with that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rabbits can produce up to 50 lbs of meat per year per rabbit due to reproduction habits. I prefer them over chickens just because, yes, they are easier to clean and take care of. Chickens also produce a lot of noise therefore bringing unwanted attention to your property in a SHTF situation. I'm more of the stealthy, tactical type of person though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would go with rabbit just because I believe that they are easily moved to different locations if need be and are very quiet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
when TSHTF which animal would be easier to feed Chicken or Rabbit? Keep in consideration I have 1/3 of an acre.
Rabbit. They take up virtually no space. Make virtually no sound. Can easily adapt to whatever vegetation is around for feed. Will produce enough meat for your family and reproduce easily.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My folks always had chickens since I was little. We were always outside the city though, and have had 2 to 92 acres. We tried rabbits once. Once. In my experience, rabbits will bite and scratch, especially if they have babies(which is kinda the point of raising animals). If you're limited on space, rabbits have that advantage, but chickens have others in places where they are feasible. Chickens provide meat, eggs, and pest control vs meat only (maybe pelts; never tried it). This can be a great advantage if you have a garden, lots of ticks, or other pests. I live in an apartment right now, but once I get back into the country my first prep will be building a chicken coup. Just my $.02.

Reactions: oldgrouch

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you really want a good return starting a fish pond returns a lot of protein in a limited amount of space. I haven't done it, as I have a yard about the size of a walk-in closet, but if I were to raise anyhting for meat, it would be trout. Easy to feed and maintain and smoked trout is heavenly!

Reactions: survival

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
If you really want a good return starting a fish pond returns a lot of protein in a limited amount of space. I haven't done it, as I have a yard about the size of a walk-in closet, but if I were to raise anyhting for meat, it would be trout. Easy to feed and maintain and smoked trout is heavenly!
That's a zinger of an idea, I have a pond with bass in it. Don't you need an aerator or something though for trout? I heard there was something you need like that

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think rabbits would probably be the ideal critter for our property; however, I'm not starving enough to kill them. We'd be overrun with cute little bunnies.

·
Administrator
14,699 Posts
The wife and I have kept chickens for almost twenty years now. In the past have had as many as 50 at a time, we are down to 12 now. We keep them for the egg production. There's nothing finer than real eggs, store bought are filled with all sorts of chemicals used in commercial chicken houses. Growth hormones, antibiotics, etc.
Our land butts up to forest (bobcats, foxes, feral dogs/cats, coyotes, racoon, skunk, possum) and over the years I have developed a system to eliminate predation.
If anyone is interested, I'll write it all out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would love to read what you have come up with. We use a method called great pyrenees. She's a good dog but getting old & don't think I want another one.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts