Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
The public HS I graduated from had American Indian only meetings with free snacks provided by the HS

the school my wife teaches at has black teacher only meetings

the AL university my daughter attends withdrew a small portion of her 100% scholarship to entice non-white and non-Asian students

the Army I served in for 25 years alway had an officer assigned to ensure that non-whites had preference for selection to choice assignments….

yes, racism IS alive and well in America.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Most of y'all are too young to have grown up in the segregated South, where that word was a very derogatory name for black people.
We will not be using that here.
If you have a problem with that, leave.
You‘re the boss. But even here in the Deep South, the last part of the word raccoon is never used to describe a black person. Not in the past 40 years.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Most of y'all are too young to have grown up in the segregated South, where that word was a very derogatory name for black people.
We will not be using that here.
If you have a problem with that, leave.
Think about that. Most of us are too young to remember when it was used as a derogatory term but it will be censored, today.
I know black folk who use that term referencing the critter. Are they racist?
This PC crap is out of hand. Way more than what’s required to keep VS out of trouble.

·
Administrator
15,267 Posts
Think about that. Most of us are too young to remember when it was used as a derogatory term but it will be censored, today.
This PC crap is out of hand. Way more than what’s required to keep VS out of trouble.
It is on the computer generated banned word list.
I have no control over that.
But, I do have control over wise guys who over rode that, on purpose, intentionally to provoke. That was totally uncalled for.
This is not Third Grade, we are all supposedly adults here.

·
Super Moderator
3,602 Posts
2a. Users shall not question or debate a moderator's decision publicly on the message board. In the event of a disagreement or questioning of a moderator's decision or action, users should contact the moderator(s) or admin(s) via private conversation (message).
3.Discriminatory remarks of any sort will not be tolerated. This includes degrading and/or offensive remarks about an individual or a group of individuals based on their race, color, ethnicity, sex, sexuality, age, nationality, religious affiliation, or indeed any other basis.

I would like to see this thread go back to the subject of chicken coops.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,747 Posts
I would like to see this thread go back to the subject of chicken coops.
Next, I would appreciate a thread about how to properly heard cats.
The valuable lessons gleaned might be needed around here sooner than later.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Next, I would appreciate a thread about how to properly heard cats.
The valuable lessons gleaned might be needed around here sooner than later.
Oh, I think I could give a class on that. I did a pretty good job for years until I did on my phone while at work and in the process trashed out my thumb joints. There's a little piece of advice, right there.
I could give a class on common sense, but I find those classes to be a lesson in futility.

Now, when we are sitting in the breakroom, I listen. I listen because I have no room for coops, gardens, etc.
Anyway, the chicken-coopers, both white and black, do NOT use "raccoon" when referring to those critters. I guess the black folk are too ignorant to know they should be offended. Still, someone said he hammered spikes around his coop. He figured that would be easier than digging a trench in which to put the bottom of the fence. Again, I just listen.
That doesn't help with the other big problem, though. Snakes. Snakes seem to be a bigger problem.
I'll ask what they do about snakes when I get back to work, Wednesday.

·
Super Moderator
3,602 Posts
We are lucky and have not had any problems with snakes.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
We are lucky and have not had any problems with snakes.
White oak runners seem to be a problem. They'll raid at night while the hens are asleep. Darned things can get aggressive and cranky when they get big.

·
Administrator
15,267 Posts
Ruger Single Six loaded with CCI snake shot carried at all times for any snakes found in the coops.
Any found around the sheds and barns are not bothered.
Only when they cross the line.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ruger Single Six loaded with CCI snake shot carried at all times for any snakes found in the coops.
Any found around the sheds and barns are not bothered.
Only when they cross the line.
My apologies in advance for posting offensive material about kill things. It is a violation of the forum rules under the " ...or indeed any other basis." from section 3 . Also, my apologies to Rice Paddy Daddy. Disagreeing with him (an Administrator) on this issue and publicly posting it here is also a violation of section 2a of the rules.

Fortunately, snakes are not entitled to due process under the terms of the US constitution. The only snakes I can't legally kill here in AL are Eastern Indigo, Eastern King, Eastern Coral, Gulf Salt Marsh, Prairie King, Rainbow, Speckled King or Southern Hognose snakes. I have cats and dogs that control the rodents in my immediate location. Both of which are incompatible with snakes. I am not required to, nor will I allow the risk to exist of poisonous snakes in my immediate AO. Snakes can not be reasoned with, nor can they comprehend a sign prohibiting their presence. Failing to find adequate natural prey, a snake will always "cross the line" and seek to mess with my chickens, just like procyon lotor. Indeed, it is in a snake's very migratory nature to "cross the line" while traversing its habitat from season to season. Known poisonous snakes (in this area: Eastern Diamondback, Cotton Mouth and Copperhead) are killed on sight anywhere in and around my property. Snakes know to be non-poisonous are only killed when encountered outside their natural environment (under the porch, in or near outbuildings, etc...). Snakes of unknown disposition (some harmless snakes look an awful lot like rattlers and cottonmouths) are killed on sight. Not taking chances. I am NOT going to try and explain to my wife that her niece is dead of a snake bite because I wasn't sure if it was poisonous.

As an anecdote (which are very poor for debate purposes) - in the case of the Eastern Coral snake, a nearby resident successfully had a court ruling reversed where she was fined $5,000 for killing such a snake. She then had an encounter with a second of the species (timeline unknown) and called animal control. Animal control, failing to actually find the snake when they showed up, informed her that SHE was in THEIR environment, and would just have to learn to deal with it. One of her dogs was subsequently bitten and injured by the snake. She was acquitted of the previous fine. No idea if she was refunded the fine, or if she ever actually paid it. Also, I wasn't privy to any actual facts relating to this incident. Only hearsay and a thin article in the local newspaper. Could have been that she had a big time snake and procyon lotor slaughtering operation going out in the shed.

·
Administrator
15,267 Posts
The only poisonous snakes in my AO are Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes, Water Moccasins, Timber Rattlesnakes, Pygmy Rattlesnakes, and Coral Snakes.
You really have to work hard at getting bit by a Coral, they don’t strike and bite, they chew.

Any poisonous snake found in the two acres around the house will be killed to protect our dogs.
Any non poisonous snake found in the chicken area after feed or eggs will be killed. Spooked hens don’t lay eggs as they should.

I have let rattlers go when I see them in our woods, they are part of the ecosystem and fulfill a role.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Genuinely impressed that my picture of the enclosure I built turned into an argument about banned words. LOL
Some of us hate stupid. PC is stupid. It’s a nation-killer. A culture-killer.
some are good with that. Those people are no brothers of mine. They’ve turned their backs on the truth. To freedom. For what; money?

·
Administrator
15,267 Posts
21 - 40 of 57 Posts