Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found it hard to locate a good quality company who can do Cerakote well, this company is fairly new but does solid work. Check them out, support your veteran business owners!
Home

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
This seems like a fairly obvious attempt to promote a product with little or no foundation.
I haven't ever, ever, ever (did I say ever) heard of a Cerakote, your link provides no useful information

Beware

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
This seems like a fairly obvious attempt to promote a product with little or no foundation.
I haven't ever, ever, ever (did I say ever) heard of a Cerakote, your link provides no useful information

Beware
CeraKote has been around for years with several companies producing it and many companies offering to spray it for you on anything from guns to engine blocks. I do my own coating and I found the Duracoat way more durable and you don't have to bake it.

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
CeraKote has been around for years with several companies producing it and many companies offering to spray it for you on anything from guns to engine blocks. I do my own coating and I found the Duracoat way more durable and you don't have to bake it.
Cool. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
How do you apply it Meangreen? I had heard of Duracoat, but I thought it was another baked coating. I can think of a million applications for it beyond just guns.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Cero-cote is a ceramic "paint" that is spayed on your gun or other part. The paint allows it to stick to a surface while it is being baked in place.
It is a lot like the header paint but more resilient. (not high temp paint - the ceramic paint that withstands heat at over 1200F)

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Cero-cote is a ceramic "paint" that is spayed on your gun or other part. The paint allows it to stick to a surface while it is being baked in place.
It is a lot like the header paint but more resilient. (not high temp paint - the ceramic paint that withstands heat at over 1200F)
No, I meant Duracoat. Sorry, sometimes I get ahead of my fingers thinking of what I could use it for. If I can apply Duracoat at home without an oven, there are a bunch of uses that I can come up with for it. (Mrs Inor gets REALLY pissed when I use her stove or other kitchen appliances for my experiments.)

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
How do you apply it Meangreen? I had heard of Duracoat, but I thought it was another baked coating. I can think of a million applications for it beyond just guns.
I tried Cerakote first and you will really piss your wife off curing this stuff in the oven because it stinks. Myself and a friend both used it and we ran into the same problems with it flaking off over time. The duracoat is super simple and doesn't need to be baked, the down side is it takes 21 days for it to fully cure. Don't use the sprayer that Duracoat sells on their website, buy a hobby sprayer and hook it up to your air compressor. I have done several firearms and it does not come off as long as it is cured. You can resemble after a couple of days and put it away in your safe for at least 20 days, clean and go shoot it. You will never have to worry about chips, rust, or scratches, the stuff is bullet proof.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the info! Maybe I will try it on that aluminum 80% lower that I am planning to do over Christmas. (If I first succeed with the poly lower.) But I also have a bunch of shop fixtures that I need to coat with something better than Rust-o-lium. This sounds like it might be just the thing. The other option I explored was getting them powder coated, but that is crazy expensive for the size of the stuff I need to get done.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the info! Maybe I will try it on that aluminum 80% lower that I am planning to do over Christmas. (If I first succeed with the poly lower.) But I also have a bunch of shop fixtures that I need to coat with something better than Rust-o-lium. This sounds like it might be just the thing. The other option I explored was getting them powder coated, but that is crazy expensive for the size of the stuff I need to get done.
It works perfect on aluminum without any other prep than spraying it down with a little acetone.

Ease of use is great with Duracoat. With a sprayer it goes on easy, just make sure to do it in light coats. I think what I did wrong with the Cerakote is I didn't sand blast the pistol first before spraying and baking. I like Duracoat because I get a perfect professional look without any hassle at all. I have used their camo kits and they look like a million bucks. I stopped telling people I did it myself because they immediately want me to paint their guns.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Meangreen, if I had guns, I would want you to paint them.
Seriously thouh, I will look it up. Was thinking of getting myself a mossin, and blacking it out. Does Duracoat stick to wood also. Should I fill and sand any nicks on the stock, I assume I would mask off the area of barrel contact?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Meangreen, if I had guns, I would want you to paint them.
Seriously thouh, I will look it up. Was thinking of getting myself a mossin, and blacking it out. Does Duracoat stick to wood also. Should I fill and sand any nicks on the stock, I assume I would mask off the area of barrel contact?
I painted Mosin with Duracoat and it turned out great. I cleaned all steel parts as clean as possible and did a second cleaning with acetone. I hung the parts from my garage door opener and sprayed with light coats of flat black. I sanded the stocks down and cleaned with acetone. I tried to free float the barrel as well as I could but it's really tough with the way the stock fits. I'm not kidding when I say that I glass bedded the stock with JB weld. I first sprayed the stock in Flat OD green Duracoat, after it dried, I covered the stock in an old laundry bag and sprayed thru it with flat tan and flat brown. The laundry bag gave the stock a cool snakeskin look. After assembly I took it to the range and it would shoot 1 1/4 inch group at 100 yards for the first 5 rounds and then it would heat up warp and the group would expand.

The great thing about Duracoat is it is like the rifle is sealed in a bubble. It cleans easy, doesn't rust and the Duracoat for the most part self lubricates. I traded the rifle to a friend who has taken a number of hogs with it and he abuses the crap out of it and it looks like the day I finished it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.