Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have silver gold and a few grand in cash in my safe. But I’ve been thinking about pulling most of my money in savings account and putting it in the safe What do you all think
Thanks

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I got smart years ago and created an empire fantasy football league.. the pot grows by $600 each year and as I am the commissioner I hold onto the pot.. so sitting with over 3k of other people's money currently... but back to the topic... you do you

·
Super Moderator
2,850 Posts
I think a selective play in the market as well as hard assets is the thing to do. For now and probably the next few years the fed will pump money and the market will go up. Until it doesn’t. Then hard assets will help. Land, silver, gold, etc. will be a hedge.

But keep in mind that even those commodities have to be handled correctly otherwise they are like a rifle in a safe, unused.. safe queens... and will return you nothing (unless the true SHTF and I’m of the mind that it won’t)

Reactions: Elvis

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
It’s good to have cash on hand, better to have metals, but there is no reason not to have money in an easy to use bank. I use three banks by the way including ally.com which is free, no fees, and works anywhere I can access an atm or the Internet.

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
I have a couple grand in small spendable denominations in the safe and I just paid the house off, so I am comfortable with that if to goes belly up. I maintain my 401K but if it goes south that will be gone when the grid goes down. (And it will) Cash will be king for a short period of time after. Beyond that, Barter. Keeping hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash in your home? Well, you can always wipe your ass with it. Gold Silver? Never had much confidence in silver and gold if it goes to hell.

·
Super Moderator
2,850 Posts
I have a couple grand in small spendable denominations in the safe and I just paid the house off, so I am comfortable with that if to goes belly up. I maintain my 401K but if it goes south that will be gone when the grid goes down. (And it will) Cash will be king for a short period of time after. Beyond that, Barter. Keeping hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash in your home? Well, you can always wipe your ass with it. Gold Silver? Never had much confidence in silver and gold if it goes to hell.
Paying off the house is a good deal. We will be doing that shortly. I think 401k's will be toast if the poop hits the fan.

Cash will be king for a month, plus or minus a week or two. Junk silver coins will be part of the trade. Gold not so much if at all. Bullet and other commodities such as food or your service would be the normal in a SHTF scenario.

Btw.. grid in Texas is pretty good. It's separate from the rest of the US.. there are three grids.. east, west and Texas. It's easily cut off from the rest and they do practice it. Is it secure? So so... but probably better than most.

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
Paying off the house is a good deal. We will be doing that shortly. I think 401k's will be toast if the poop hits the fan.

Cash will be king for a month, plus or minus a week or two. Junk silver coins will be part of the trade. Gold not so much if at all. Bullet and other commodities such as food or your service would be the normal in a SHTF scenario.

Btw.. grid in Texas is pretty good. It's separate from the rest of the US.. there are three grids.. east, west and Texas. It's easily cut off from the rest and they do practice it. Is it secure? So so... but probably better than most.
Agreed. Supposedly, the Texas Grid is independent of the national grid so we should be insulated. But as I understand it, the computers are still linked in order to sell and buy power with the other grids. (TCEQ) Still, at the end of the day, if I am bringing this country to it's knees, be it home grown or foreign, I am bringing down the grid.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Cash on hand is always a good idea. I keep a little int he safe, just in case credit card readers fail. They have, and we do lose power....

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have silver gold and a few grand in cash in my safe. But I've been thinking about pulling most of my money in savings account and putting it in the safe What do you all think
Thanks
But as to the original question I think no. I suspect that most of us here are iike you and keep a bit stashed away at the house and possibly an emergency roll hidden in the car but I prep for "just in case". Kind of like insurance. But I'm not living my life in total fear that everything will collapse in less than a week.

But let me add a thought. Many here worry that things will go down super fast, you may be stuck at work or shopping and it's a race to get home, many of us carry GHBs in their vehicles. Having a roll of cash stashed in the car would allow you to possibly make emergency purchases on your way home if the grid or internet was down. I'm not talking $5000 but a few hundred would go a long way towards helping you on the trip home.

My wife never uses cash, But I require her to keep a bit of cash stashed in the car which has saved her butt several times over the years when a store's internet was down and couldn't run a debit card.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts