Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to start a battle here, but I have a question. If you are of the mind set you can't eat precious metals (silver/gold) and therefor they'd have no value to me I'd like to know if you plan to barter, trade or do business with anyone post SHTF? If so how will you do so?

If you are offered a job where the pay is silver - would you take it?

If you are in need of work done, even surgery or something you can't do, and the perveyor wants gold or silver - what will you offer instead?

Do you never plan to interact with man kind again - in the matter of commerce?

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
I'm not working now for cash so the silver thing has me even less interested.

Gee I have no gold and silver for medical treatment. I guess my last dieing breath will be used doing as much damage as possible to the DR personally and then his family. Or maybe I could offer my services to protect the Dr. from the next guy like me he tries to screw over.

The more man kind falls down the greasy slope the last few years the less I care to interact for any reason.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
You bring up a good point, someday a working air rifle with ammo might be worth more than it weight in silver or gold. Whose knows what the future may bring? I could however see gold and sliver being worth more than paper money for a long long time. I think there will always be a place for people's wants along with there needs, so I could see it being a thing to barter with for a long time.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Barer will not come for us till long after things settled down . We will have no need to. When the time comes we have items hidden away that will come in handy and we will have more than enough quality food.
For barter to work there would need to be some kind of law enforcement in place other wise what you intend to barter with will just be taken.
And yes for the most part in the early stages we will cut off from others as much as possible. We will help the passer by as we can ,but will not allow anyone to circumvent our security .

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Yes, I will barter, but not in silver or gold. I have nothing against either, am pondering closing my 401k and transfering it to silver and gold, but in a barter situation, on the streets, I would rather have an extra bic, or decent knife. And yes, a bb gun and ammo will be a hot item. I have always told my lady, when we see a homeless person begging, that I would never beg, If I lost everything I had, everything, I would work in someones yard, or some other needed task, just to get a bb gun, then my food supply would be taken care of. She always hits me, and tells me she would not eat pigeon...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm not working now for cash so the silver thing has me even less interested.

Gee I have no gold and silver for medical treatment. I guess my last dieing breath will be used doing as much damage as possible to the DR personally and then his family. Or maybe I could offer my services to protect the Dr. from the next guy like me he tries to screw over.

The more man kind falls down the greasy slope the last few years the less I care to interact for any reason.
WTF?

People that expect something without them ability to reciprocate are what is wrong with this country. I'm not sure why I am waisting time with someone obviously living in their mothers basement.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
WTF?

People that expect something without them ability to reciprocate are what is wrong with this country. I'm not sure why I am waisting time with someone obviously living in their mothers basement.
Not quite sure what you mean, I personally couldn't tell you silver from stainless steel, so in a post government, post money environment, i wouldn't see the value, of course it has value, but i can't see it. If in the end, your king midas, and have all the gold in the world, and cant eat, then your in a bind. Now being the resilent type of guy you seem to be, I am sure you would thrive, I think your view is that we should maybe switch to gold and silver now, over paper money, and yes i would be ok with that. Also, by the way, the knives on that providence metals link are awesome. i ordered 12, and sold 11 of them for $20 each. 240 minus 130= 110 profit. Thanks. MR.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I was equally disturbed by that communist approach to life. What he wouldn't understand is that a doctor will likely have a whole community looking out for him. He wouldn't get anywhere close to a real Dr.

WTF?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a lot of silver nickels, dimes and quarters from my old coin collection. If they wanted silver and I need something from someone, Id trade the silver. But I do not go out looking for precious metals to store for trade.
I do plan to barter/trade - I pick up cheap 7-10 oz bottles of run, vodka and whiskey at the local liquor store whenever I get a chance. Most of the time these cost $1.50 to $2.00 each. I figure a bottle of vodka will be very valuable in that kind of situation. So far I have about 35 bottles of various alcohol.
I also raise meat rabbits, which have brought me in some extra cash toward my prepping. I sell them for pets as well as meat. They dress around 4lbs. Which makes a great stew with some potatoes and carrots.

I would only be interested in people who have goods/services for barter/trade coming to visit me.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
To each his own, . . . but I am figuring that for in the immediate time, . . . and way, way down the time road, . . . gold, silver, jewels, etc. might have some value.

In the interim, . . . I suspect they would just be extra weight to be packed around, . . . or something someone has to stay behind and guard.

The precious metals I'm investing in are brass, copper, and lead, . . . as well as nickel plated primers.

My real fear is that law enforcement will be "on your own" for a long time, . . . my weapons have a "today" value, . . . so does my food, shelter, clothing, etc., . . . whereas the gold and silver may someday be worth something, . . . and may not. I know the value of a 5 pound keg of Unique gunpowder, . . . and it will always be a good value.

And in answer to the OP, . . . NO, . . . if I work for someone then, . . . it will be for a barter item of clothing, food, medicine, etc. All the things I would have to trade will have an instant value, . . . not an intrinsic value.

YMMV

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
In the interim, . . . I suspect they would just be extra weight to be packed around, . . . or something someone has to stay behind and guard.

The precious metals I'm investing in are brass, copper, and lead, . . . as well as nickel plated primers.

May God bless,
Dwight
I am not disputing that ammunition and components will have value STHF but I don't see the difference in weight and security between your solution and PMs. If anything silver and gold are much easier to transport than ammunition which is why " money" is such a useful tool to promote trade.

I have plenty of ammunition, if you wanted to trade for some of my food I would not be interested. If you had some silver I would do the trade and use the money to get something I did need from someone else.

There is so much ammunition and weapons in the USA I don't think they will be as valuable as most people think SHTF. A balanced approach is probably going to be smarter.

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
To each his own, . . . but I am figuring that for in the immediate time, . . . and way, way down the time road, . . . gold, silver, jewels, etc. might have some value.

My real fear is that law enforcement will be "on your own" for a long time, . . . my weapons have a "today" value, . . . so does my food, shelter, clothing, etc., . . . whereas the gold and silver may someday be worth something, . . . and may not. I know the value of a 5 pound keg of Unique gunpowder, . . . and it will always be a good value.

And in answer to the OP, . . . NO, . . . if I work for someone then, . . . it will be for a barter item of clothing, food, medicine, etc. All the things I would have to trade will have an instant value, . . . not an intrinsic value.

YMMV

May God bless,
Dwight
I understand where your coming from. To show you how nice I can be, I will take any you don't want and even pay for the shipping. :lol: Just trying to help you trim down and not be burdened with extra stuff.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
In reality, a BOB is little more than an egress kit on steroids. One fo the things taught in every SERE school (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape) is to always have your egress kit on you. Think of it as a small EDC kit. A main ingediant is always some form of precious metal to barter with the indigenious population for assistance.

A chunky gold necklace or some silver just may buy you aid or time when bugging out.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
After the situation returns to "normal" precious metals will have their value. That is why I say to keep some on hand - hidden away - where it is not easily found. After the situation returns to normal it will be useful for paying for those things that you cannot barter for But while people are just trying to survive it is unlikely that it will be useful to barter with and even if you can successfully barter with it you will lose in the trade. If I have a 1/2 pound bag of flour and all you have is a gold coin then I would probably trade the flour for the coin but I have no way to "make change" and I certainly wouldn't trade a 1/2 pound of flour for an ounce of silver - the flour is worth more than the silver when people are starving.
When food is a rare commodity and clean water non-existant what is the value of a Krugerand? When two gallons of clean water is worth seven days worth of food what good is an ounce of gold?
After it is all over and you have to pay taxes or buy a home then yes, the gold and silver will be worth something.

·
Registered
938 Posts
A main ingediant is always some form of precious metal to barter with the indigenious population for assistance.

A chunky gold necklace or some silver just may buy you aid or time when bugging out.
Not trying to quarrel with you, but I know several Navy SEALs. They do carry a wad of cash with them in their Escape and Evasion kits, but not one of them carry any precious metal for that purpose.

In a situation where law and order have broken down, trying to barter or conduct business transactions with gold or silver will likely result in you getting robbed or killed for what you are carrying, as soon as someone so inclined finds out that is what you are holding.

The story told by the survivor of war in Bosnia said he traded all his gold for ammo very early on. Ammo gets you food, and keeps you from getting killed; it became as valuable, if not more valuable, as gold. Someone who had ammo wanted gold, and vice versa. So it does serve a role as a medium of exchange.

I think it is important to have options, and previous metals are an option.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gold to me is a wealth preservation solution far more than to be used in SHTF. Rawles noted how Gold can be valuable "as" SHTF is happening and people are moving away from worthless money. Merchants that are able to fend off looters but are looking to sell might be far more likely to part with their goods for gold then cash that is devaluing by the minute. I don't have much gold, but do keep two 1/10 oz coins in my BOB as well as pre 64 quarters and dimes. The pre 64 silver currency in the US is probably the most likely currency to start up and be used post SHTF. For just the instance you noted - bread and small items. I hope to be a keen producer of things needed and to sell them post SHTF; and there is only so much ammo and labor I can take - I would gladly be taking gold, silver and the like for what I can produce.

After the situation returns to "normal" precious metals will have their value. That is why I say to keep some on hand - hidden away - where it is not easily found. After the situation returns to normal it will be useful for paying for those things that you cannot barter for But while people are just trying to survive it is unlikely that it will be useful to barter with and even if you can successfully barter with it you will lose in the trade. If I have a 1/2 pound bag of flour and all you have is a gold coin then I would probably trade the flour for the coin but I have no way to "make change" and I certainly wouldn't trade a 1/2 pound of flour for an ounce of silver - the flour is worth more than the silver when people are starving.
When food is a rare commodity and clean water non-existant what is the value of a Krugerand? When two gallons of clean water is worth seven days worth of food what good is an ounce of gold?
After it is all over and you have to pay taxes or buy a home then yes, the gold and silver will be worth something.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Not trying to start a battle here, but I have a question. If you are of the mind set you can't eat precious metals (silver/gold) and therefor they'd have no value to me I'd like to know if you plan to barter, trade or do business with anyone post SHTF? If so how will you do so?

If you are offered a job where the pay is silver - would you take it?

If you are in need of work done, even surgery or something you can't do, and the perveyor wants gold or silver - what will you offer instead?

Do you never plan to interact with man kind again - in the matter of commerce?
A well rounded approach is the answer. Cover the bases with the understanding that some of the things you have prepped may not be useful. I'd much rather have a few things go that way than have all my eggs in one basket. If I'm offered work for pay in gold or silver, how likely is it that I will find gold and silver to be useful for something I need or can't do.

In my mind the question isn't whether or not gold and silver are valuable it's whether or not its value is a priority. The guy looking to protect and defend his family from thugs and murderers may place a higher priority on having lead and copper than he does on having gold or silver. Yet that same guy wanting to barter for goods or services may later place a higher priority on having gold or silver.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Not trying to quarrel with you, but I know several Navy SEALs. They do carry a wad of cash with them in their Escape and Evasion kits, but not one of them carry any precious metal for that purpose.

In a situation where law and order have broken down, trying to barter or conduct business transactions with gold or silver will likely result in you getting robbed or killed for what you are carrying, as soon as someone so inclined finds out that is what you are holding.

The story told by the survivor of war in Bosnia said he traded all his gold for ammo very early on. Ammo gets you food, and keeps you from getting killed; it became as valuable, if not more valuable, as gold. Someone who had ammo wanted gold, and vice versa. So it does serve a role as a medium of exchange.

I think it is important to have options, and previous metals are an option.
Gonna venture a guess and bet that the guys you know are very current, and operate in our current AO's of a known combat zone. Hence no worries about carrying around a bunch of paper that immediately identifies them as American's.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
The value of gold and silver is dependent on whether or not it is realative to the situation at hand. If you are wanting to trade in gold and silver and the modicum of exchange happens to be cheap booze, cigaretes and cooking oil, you're SOL.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts