Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forum. Has anyone tried canning food in mylar bags? Say I wanted to cook up some ground beef, vacuum seal it in a 1/2 gallon mylar bag and then pressure can it. Can the mylar take the heat and pressure? Will it be shelf stable? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
No no no - That sounds like a very bad plan! The primary point of canning is to heat the jars up enough to expand the contents and evacuate the air. When the jars cool with the top on, it vacuum seals the top in place. If it does not explode when you heat a sealed mylar bag, it will certainly make you sick when you eat it a year or two later.

My wife, Mrs Inor can explain in greater detail, but I did ask her to look over this response to make sure it is accurate.

Reactions: RJAMES

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
In any kind of long term storage you want to kill any bacterium and eliminate oxygen. That is why I have to cook meat in the jar for longer than I would to just eat it that night when I am canning it. The same holds true for veggies and other non-acid foods. If you tried to cook the food in a mylar bag you would end up with a gob of plastic and some undercooked food.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
If prepping were easy, it would be mainstream and sites like this probably wouldn't exist. You could always look into canning with cans. Looks to be much more expensive.

·
Registered
900 Posts
you can dehydrate your burger like you would to make jerky. Not quite the same as cooked ground burger, but this can be sealed like you would jerky. I personally just cook the burger and can it. If you are concerned with breaking jars can you make your storage area more secure? If you are afraid of earthquake etc knocking things off shelves you can secure things by adding a strip of 1 x2 along the front of the jars on the shelves.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There must be some way... Because all those baby pouches with applesauce and other baby food are mylar too!! 😉 mylar pouches can be bought online... And it's much lighter in weight than cans... But I suppose only liquid meals can get in and out of the mylar pouch... 😄 but it must be great for soups or sauces..

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
There must be some way... Because all those baby pouches with applesauce and other baby food are mylar too!! 😉 mylar pouches can be bought online... And it's much lighter in weight than cans... But I suppose only liquid meals can get in and out of the mylar pouch... 😄 but it must be great for soups or sauces..
I would guess those baby pouches have a much smaller window for an expiration date than stuff in jars.

I'm fairly new to canning so I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
There must be some way... Because all those baby pouches with applesauce and other baby food are mylar too!! �� mylar pouches can be bought online... And it's much lighter in weight than cans... But I suppose only liquid meals can get in and out of the mylar pouch... �� but it must be great for soups or sauces..
those aren't mylar bags - they are retort bags - kizzing cousin - there's different composite constructions depending on requirement >>>>> MREs are another - retail has a variety - medical has theirs - industrial is replacing bottle & can all over ....

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Canning in mylar bags? Not for me. I get warm just wearing a flannel shirt. If I had to wear mylar too just to can food I'd be dehydrated by noon.

There might be a better idea. Use the mylar to store the food. That seems more logical.

·
Super Moderator
9,216 Posts
I agree with everyone, NO! I have seen cooked hamberger in a store about ten years ago and bought one.
It was not the normal Mylar bag that we are all familiar with. It was a very heavy gauge aluminum foil pouch and was most
likely vacumn packed and then pressure canned at a Hormel factory in St. Charles, IL. I lived the next town over and think
it was a trail balloon to see if it would sell. Best used date was only 9 months. Never saw it again, when I looked for it and
it was about $6-$7 per pound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.