Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start canning....preferably starting with different kinds of meat...then work around to everything else (vegs, soup starters, sauces). Who can point me in the direction of good basic canning book(s) so I can read up and get to learning? Canning for Dummies? I've drooled at some of the posts about canning stuff I never knew you could...bacon and butter at the top of the list :D

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Starting with meats is starting with the harder stuff. First of all you will need a pressure canner - not a pressure cooker. The Ball "Blue Book" is the 'bible' of canning. Easier to start with water bath canning as it is less expensive.. Again the Ball Blue Book is great. Canning for Dummies is good too, seriously. Ball also has a larger book that I use quite a bit.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I agree with Mrs Inor. canning meat is one thing you can really mess up and not only waste a lot of money but risk getting really sick from rotten food.

get your feet wet by doing some jams or simple fruits in a syrup. Stewed Tomatoes are also pretty easy. Once you have the basics down then invest in the pressure canner and canning meat.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i totally agree with the ladies above, also pickling things is a little easier too so you can give that a try. when we started we did the jelly/jams first then went to pickling then bought a pressure cooker and did more pickling then started with the canning veggies. we still havent tried the meats yet. there are video on youtube you can watch for help also

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have been water bath canning for about 10 years off and on, mostly tomatoes and recently apple sauce/butter. I just bought my first pressure canner to start canning meats and other vegetables a couple of weeks ago. People occasionally die from improperly canned meat and low acid vegetables, not to scare you off, but you need to be sure you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your input. The main issue I have is I want to can stuff we will actually eat. We don't eat a lot of pickles...or jams/jellies...not enough to worry with canning/stocking up. We do eat a lot of vegetables. Tomatoes certainly, but this time of year all that are available are tasteless crap in the stores. I am planning on planting a garden in the spring if I can get it figured out too (so much to learn...eeeeeek!), but wanted to get to learning how to can before that. My aunt is supposed to help me, as she has done a lot of water bath canning, but she is new to pressure canning...which is why I was asking about favorite "go-to" canning books.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
There is nothing difficult about canning meet,

Cut it up into small pieces nothing larger than two inches, throw a couple pieces of bacon in there.

leave the meet two inches down from the top, don't over fill it or it will boil up and get under the seal.

before you put the tops on use bleach water at a minimal concentration, with hot water put your finger out and carefully wipe the rim of the glass. Do not put a bunch of bleach water in your food just wipe the rim carefully,

put the lid on snug, not tight not loose.

run at 10 psi for an hour and 45 minutes.

make sure the lids ping.

your done.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thanks for all of your input. The main issue I have is I want to can stuff we will actually eat. We don't eat a lot of pickles...or jams/jellies...not enough to worry with canning/stocking up. We do eat a lot of vegetables. Tomatoes certainly, but this time of year all that are available are tasteless crap in the stores. I am planning on planting a garden in the spring if I can get it figured out too (so much to learn...eeeeeek!), but wanted to get to learning how to can before that. My aunt is supposed to help me, as she has done a lot of water bath canning, but she is new to pressure canning...which is why I was asking about favorite "go-to" canning books.
What about fruit? veggies are hard to get in good quantities but apples are pretty easy to find right now. We do a lot of apple pie filling, plus you can do stuff like apple sauce if you eat that (we don't). You can use this to make apple sauce cakes also. I know how much you men like the sweets..

Basically do something so that you get the idea before trying to do more expensive stuff.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
It may look a bit different but it is great in stew, soup, and heated right out of the jar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts