Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why learning to whistle is important? Im not talking about the regular whistle while you work, Im talking about the concert loud whistle.
I can only whistle using my fingers, and that took about three days of work.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It is much easer to buy a whistle. Believe it or not forest rangers said a whistle may be one of the most important survival devices you can carry. It uses a fraction of the energy that hollering does and you can only holler for a short time and the sound of a modern whistle will carry a lot farther. Remember the Titanic scene when the girl was saved by blowing the whistle when she was to cold and to tired to scream.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I can whistle like Pavarotti can sing. People have urged me to enter contests for my musical ability to whistle (never did - I'm not THAT dorky...) but the concert whistle has evaded me. I just can't do it to save my life.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True, you nailed it, a whistle carries farther, and takes less energy, A lot of people "yell themselves hoarse", then when rescuers are near, they cant yell. I agree it may be easier to buy one, but after learning how to, i never have to worry about it being left behind, lost, or frozen.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GT, I literally tried evrytime I was alone for three days..On the second day I nailed it, Only to not be able to reproduce it again for over a day..
I use the thumb and pointer, shaped like a c, to push the tip of my tongue up. Also, the lip placement over the fingers is critical. and, the pressure used is important, I cant CatCall whistle without a quick explusion of air.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
True, you nailed it, a whistle carries farther, and takes less energy, A lot of people "yell themselves hoarse", then when rescuers are near, they cant yell. I agree it may be easier to buy one, but after learning how to, i never have to worry about it being left behind, lost, or frozen.
Yes it is good to know as it is another option. But could you whistle very loud if you were in the same condition as the girl in the scene.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, If I remember right, she was nearly lifeless, barely tooting on the whistle, freezing, so No, not in that position.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
If there is a group of people that have the whistle down it's the Mexicans :) I have rescued a few and it was a high pitched whistle that got us to finally zero on their position down here on the border. Another thing to never leave home without is a mirror because you can signal over the sound of rotor blades on a helicopter and signal over long distances.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I have an old brass shield trumpeter I bought from a retired state trooper at a garage sale,he said he carried it for 35 years.loudest whistle I ever heard...you almost need earplugs from the shriek this thing gives out.

·
Registered
24,403 Posts
The only way I can whistle in a manner that is noticeable is if I use a whistle. Other than that, it takes all I can do to whistle Dixie.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I can't whistle worth a flip. But made me think of this:

My husband and a really good friend both can whistle loud and long. As our kids were growing up and got old enough to turn loose outside out of sight of us, my husband would whistle and they'd come immediately to us. It got to be such a habit, that we could be on a baseball field or the football fields and be waiting on our kids to show up afterwards and if they were piddling around, my husband would just whistle and here they'd come. If my husband wasn't available for the "whistle", I'd use my friend...LOL They are 15 and 19, and we all come to that whistle...LOL

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Yeah I two finger whistling retarded. I can get it sometimes, but most the time no chance. I guess there's the chance I could need it, but whistling at girls, whistling a tune, and trying for the life of me to do the cool bird sounds for discrete operational needs like ole Jed could do were more important.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I cant do it with thumb and index finger but I whistle loud as all hell with my 2 index fingers.... I can change the tone by how far I put them in my mouth

·
Registered
938 Posts
I learned how to whistle loudly with no hands. My Dad used to whistle for me to come home or come inside, and I would whistle back to let him know I heard him and was coming.

I carry the offshore rescue whistles the Coast Guard approves - things are ear shattering...!

My wife, mother and sister all carry one too - to summon help if they cannot scream loud enough.

And I trained my dog with one...for a cookie, he comes every time!!

I can whistle a pretty good tune, too - used to practice a lot when I was young.

My dog loves it when I whistle - he knows it means I am happy...!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have a whistle thatll make you cringe, its loud. I never thought about it as a skill that's important. I did it to startle the boys when they were growing up. im not much of a yeller, haven't yelled since cheerleading lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts