Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something to ask yourself now...not when you are faced with fight or flee...can you REALLY stand up and fight hand to hand, with another man? Studies show that over 90% of men will flee vs. fight if given the opportunity. This is bred into us through hundreds or actually thousands of generations of our ancestors so it is understandable that we feel the urge to run rather than get involved in a hand to hand situation. I urge you to find a local self-defense course ASAP and start the process of learning how to defend yourself and your family in the event of SHTF or just in the event that your have to fight to survive.
C5GUY

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good post most of the time its not the physical harm but the mental effects if you can get used to someone in your face you can then put up some defence rather than freeze

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Tao of jeet kun do highly recommended. Mastery of the will is paramount.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've was a scrappy kid all growing up. Where I was from it wasn't cool to be smart. Luckily I was tough too. I don't have a problem fighting anymore though I don't go out and look for it anymore either (thanks to my wife) lol. I've always been able to hold my own and I'm Irish so I'm not a particularly fair fighter anyway but I've never had any formal training which I would love to do. I'm just not sure if I should start with a basic self defense course or choose a martial art. If I do go ahead with choosing a martial arts style how do I make that choice? I'm a big guy if that makes a difference. 6'2" about 265lbs.

Awesome thread by the way. ::saber::

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like your a big chap i would go for a modern ju-jutsu style like krav maga or checkout jim wagners videos on youtube with self defence you need some thing that fits your needs rather than a traditional art unless you want to learn something other than to take care of yourself and loved ones

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello C5GUY, I must say that was some information brother. Dint know men choose to flee than fight. lol
Glad I belong to the 10%, how about you? :p

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had always chose to flee rather than fight...I was small & lightweight but had a bit of grit to me. When I had to fight (ie:couldn't flee) I was 1 hellva dirty fighter & used leverage to my advantage. Made it so no one in their right mind wanted to mess with me & even made a good friend outta the one guy who wanted to kick my butt. Now I'm old (well, over 50) & out of shape, & need to start exercising so when SHTF I will better prepared physically. If the gun jams, I would like to be able to at least be able to run away :lol:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my almost 60 years on this old earth I have never been in a fair fight. The only desired results is to be the one that walks away when the fighting is over no matter what it takes to accomplish this result.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, I can. Especially if it's just unarmed combat, I'm not worried any more. I used to be scared shitless, convinced I had a glass jaw thanks to a heck of a lot of surgeries I've had on my face and skull. But, now I've been in some fistfights, and someone chucked a glass bottle at my face. And I'm just fine. I feel a lot stronger and braver now. Turns out, when I get in a fight I red out and go a bit nuts. Lucky I was raised a Quaker, eh? (Trying to train that out of myself, though.) Fiance used to get in fights all the time, doesn't really give a crap. Also helps that we're both big into weight-lifting, pretty strong, I think among our friends my fiance is the only one who could overpower me. So I'm not too worried about your Average Joe.

·
Banned
62 Posts
In the US at least, any fight can become a gunfight in 1/2 second. Anywhere in the world, knives, table legs, bottles, etc can be brought into play in 1 second or less. The only reasons to fight hand to hand is if you are dealing with someone you dont want to have to shoot, or you have stupidly gone someplace unarmed.

I earned a black belt in karate while I was overseas in the army, but it is a very, very poor substitute for having a gun in your hand, and honest to god top-speed of hitting skill with that gun and effective ammo in its magazine.

·
Banned
62 Posts
It takes at least 100 hours of training, spread over several months, to give yourself even the basic levels of fighting skill. Real ability, even if you are young, strong, fit and athletic, takes 200 or more hours to achieve, and you'll never get it in classes of over 4 people. Such training, from a real deal instructor, cost about $25 an hour, so the overall cost will run 5k or so.

·
Registered
207 Posts
In my almost 60 years on this old earth I have never been in a fair fight. The only desired results is to be the one that walks away when the fighting is over no matter what it takes to accomplish this result.
EXACTLY........'fair' is in a ring with rules or on the mat with rules , there is *no* " fair" on the street. And quite frankly many folks would benefit from two systems that many folks think are *simple* , spend some time on the mat with good Judo Players , and spend some time in a boxing gym , add elbows , knees and the Muay Thai style cut kick.

And as cited , it's *reaction* that's the problem for many folks , old Ed Parker saying , " He who hesitates meditates horizontally". One cannot wait until one is hit to react.

If at all possible break the opponent down as regards mobility , balance and air and take the first possible avenue of escape that presents itself.

I'll point out something here , get yourself a copy of Grey's Anatomy , start reading it. If you know how the human body goes together and operates then it's easier to dismantle it.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
In the US at least, any fight can become a gunfight in 1/2 second. Anywhere in the world, knives, table legs, bottles, etc can be brought into play in 1 second or less. The only reasons to fight hand to hand is if you are dealing with someone you dont want to have to shoot, or you have stupidly gone someplace unarmed.

I earned a black belt in karate while I was overseas in the army, but it is a very, very poor substitute for having a gun in your hand, and honest to god top-speed of hitting skill with that gun and effective ammo in its magazine.
Sure you are, and I'm actually broadcasting from a hollowed-out volcano and training wasps the size of housecats to live off peanut butter and tang :grin:

·
Registered
104 Posts
if it comes down to protecting my kids, yes.. and I would do it to the death if need be. Never underestimate a woman protecting her children.. Ive been there once, done that .. and dont remember much. I blacked out... the end result was one person in the hospital and me talking to the police about what I remember.. best thing was, my kids were safe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with what you said about fair fights. I don't fight for silly reasons, if I do fight it is going to be dirty and serious.

But from the perspective of a Survivalist.... it may be wiser to run away or make peace. You cite the genetic propensity for doing so in your original post. Accepting your numbers and supposing that people will do one or the other, the fact that we have a trait that is 9x more common than the other trait means it historically has done a much better job of keeping one alive long enough to make babies than the trait that compells individuals choose violent confrontation.

Sometimes running will get you killed, but most of the times it will allow you to survive, (maybe go back to your cave get a spear, and a couple friends, and go kill the danger).

Be willing to running be ready to fight dirty.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Every situation would be different, but I'd try to go along with what Chinese General Sun Tzu said in 600 BC- "The greatest warrior is the one who never has to fight a battle".
In that respect I believe in the power of words.
For example if confronted with an aggressive zomb, maybe the words "Hi, man, fancy a cup of coffee?" would work wonders and defuse the situation..
And maybe you could even make him an offer he couldn't refuse by inviting him to come in out of the lonely cold and fit into your little group in some way, 'strength in numbers' and all that.
Zombs need love too you know..;)

·
Administrator
15,006 Posts
At age 63 I would not attempt to fight anyone younger than me with hands and feet only. That's why for the last 40+ years I have carried AT LEAST a 4" fixed blade knife. Now with my concealed firearm license I carry a pistol as well as a knife.
And thanks to my training and experience I can make a threat assesment and react very close to instantaneously. I actually have used this skill.
But given the chance I will retreat.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
This guy in Israel comes looking for trouble with an iron bar in this road rage incident and finds himself staring down the barrel of a gun, so he quickly drops the bar, puts his hands up and falls to his knees, such is the awesome power of the gun, even when it's not fired..:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am up to my fighting weight.
Too old and fat to run so I have no other choice.
I will just use my crutches to beat the crap out of who ever.
Or fall on them.
The reason for flightis animal instinct.
Fighting expends energy and opens us up to injury.
Getting injured causes other problems even in good times. It is expensive to get treated.
If you have to treat injuries yourd=self then another whole can of woms is opened.
So to all the macho guys just remember this BE SAFE.
All the martial arts and target practice mean nothing if you have busted bones and 105 degree fever.
Even a lion knows when to avoid a fight.
Words of a guy who avoids fighta but is ready to TCOB if need be.
A 3 cell amg light is a wonderful tool.
Sometimes it sheds light on the issue as required.
By the way I am the guy who would scare the crap out of you just by looking at you. Don't judge all books by thir cover.
The ink is just skin deep and the heart is hidden.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts