Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got a big reality check last week I need to bunker down and need to be able to live off my part time job for a while to prove I can continue to live on my own and go to college! My budget is 20-25 a week for food ideally I want to spend 20 on weekly food and budget 5 bucks a a bank to build up and buy sale items from time to time. I have never really been successful with budgeting but I gotta now.

Here is what I have been thinking so far I already have a rice cooker, dehydrator, and just bought a cheap crockpot on closeout price. I do like a can of soup poured over a few cups of white rice which makes a great cheap meal, Rawmen noodles are a option from time to time but not to much! Also frozen veggies (dollar a bag for 16oz) with some spices is great lunch and breakfast oatmeal with milk and dried cranberries I just love (although I might have to get rid of the honey because that adds to much money) Oh and I always put cheese and sour cream in my rice and soup might have to cut down on that too but I think Aldis sells cheap blocks of cheese might be able to continue there.

I will venture out on making stews in my crockpot in the comming weeks any good recipes??? I can't buy canned beans they have more sodium plus they are not as cheap as the bagged ones. Besides that I get cheap bannanas at Kwip trip 38cents a lb which I can dehydrate to make them more like a chip snack for work. Also I can get eggs for about 1.50 per dozen I like scrambled eggs with rice too. I am addicted to Red's Hot sause but I will have to look for a cheaper option aka generic or dollar store style.

I do tend to try to avoid wheat and flour and more unhealthy foods as much as I can but it still gotta taste good. Any tips recipies would be great! Also I am thinking all meat is out of the option on my budget but any ideas on what meat options I can get for under a dollar a lb? Hot dogs might have to be my only option lol.

Either way thanks for taking the time to read and if you can give advice that would be great! thanks!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I get chicken hindquarters for 50-70cents a pound. Pretty hard to live well on that food budget unless you have enough land to garden, and even then it would be tight.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I'd love to hear how this goes for you. Food is a HUGE expense in our family. We eat mostly organic though and do eat meat. We spend $800/mo or so for a family of 5.

This time of year you can't do this, but hit up farmer's markets at the end of the day and see if you can get discounts on the stuff that didn't sell. Talk to the grocery stores and ask for discounts on produce that is getting too bad to sell. Cut out the bad parts and use up or dehydrate the rest. If you see unpicked fruit trees, ask the owner if you can pick some.

Lentils are high in protein and very cheap. Bonus points for not having to soak them like beans. They cook at a boil for 30 minutes, just rinse them first. If you're getting cheap produce and drying it, throw in dried celery, onions, carrots, whatever. If you can swing it, throw in a can of tomato sauce and add some herbs. Speaking of herbs, get a couple pots and grow your own seasonings on the windowsill for pennies.

Buy an extra bag of veggies each trip and dehydrate it, then you'll have preps and stuff for soups.

If you like oatmeal, check the bulk bins or save up for a 25-50# bag from places like Costco or Azure or whatever is in your area.

Since your title also says healthy, avoid hot dogs. They are not healthy. Not even remotely. Just saw a statistic, not exactly sure of the numbers now but kids who eat x # of hotdogs are at an extremely higher risk of leukemia. Go to the butcher and ask for bones instead and boil them up into broth for your soup bases. Homemade broth made from bones, on the other hand, is extremely healthy and full of nutrients that are excellent for restoring digestive health and believed to help with bone/tooth issues.

In my opinion, given the dangerous chemicals in many processed foods these days, skimping on the food budget is not the way to go. Garbage in, garbage out. Healthy food is a lifelong investment because you're building better health rather than breaking your body down.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I was in the same boat. $40 a week and still having to pay bills. Left me with $10 a week for groceries.

Avoid ramen noodles. If you have to eat ramen noodles, avoid the packets. VERY high sodium, little nutrition. I used to mix in mayonnaise And turn it into a kind of angel hair pasta.

Avoid hot dogs. If you HAVE to, get all beef. But that's if you HAVE to.

Check out grocery store discount racks. There's an albertsons out here. They have a discount meat section. Can pick up a New York steak for $2-$3 bucks. They also have a dry good discount section. The Ralph's out here has a huge dry good discount rack. I usually cash in my recyclables and use the voucher to pay for groceries. There's a store here called fresh and easy. They have an ok refrigerated discount section. Can find fruits, veggies, pre made salads, soups, sandwiches and the like. Stater brothers has a dry discount rack. I once found a gallon of Coleman lamp fuel for I think $3? Or $4?

Basically shop in the discount section of healthy stores. You won't get exactly what you want, but a can of organic corn will do your body better than a stomach full of hot dogs. It's not quantity, its quality. Also practice practice portion control. I've lost about 30 or so pounds (scale is wonky) mainly by eating less but healthier food. I'm still overweight, but not like before.

Watch for sales. When a sale comes up, buy one extra. Buy fruits and veggies on sale, and can/preserve them if possible.

It's tough, but its doable. I'm at $25 a week and still do without.

Oh. And garden. Even if its a few containers on a balcony or deck. When I first got this place, I spent 2 years tearing out yuccas to make a garden space. It hasn't produced much because of animal interference, but its better than nothing.

You can do it. It's tough, but doable :D

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Here is an issue for you, how often must you shop and travel to and from the stores? If you can spend $80 at one time you can get a few bulk items and make your money last much longer then $20 per week. Are you driving to the store? Account for transport cost? Is hunting, fishing, or natural berries available? It's bird season out here. Geese I take with a 22 LR at 100-150 yards and get them on the ground not out of the air.

·
Registered
966 Posts
You can eat for $20/week but it may get a little boring. No need to avoid wheat. Buy the same stuff (mostly) that you would store, brown rice, beans, oats, raisins, sugar, flour, lard, pasta, chicken leg quarters, canned vegetables (low salt), peanut butter. Eat what is on sale.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You may be able to live healthy on 20 dollars a week but not yummy. At least not yummy after a month of eating the same things. If you are are cutting out wheat and flower you are probably cutting out one of the cheapest meals that actually taste good and that is spaghetti and sause.
Amen, I did the Atkins diet a while back where you can eat all the meat you want because it has no carbs (it works!). After about three weeks the idea of eating steak prepared anyway imaginable was less appealing than going hungry. Had you told me I'd EVER SAY THAT before that three weeks I'd have slapped you across the face! I looooove red meat. Proves even to much ambrosia gets to be a bad thing after a while.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Here is an issue for you, how often must you shop and travel to and from the stores? If you can spend $80 at one time you can get a few bulk items and make your money last much longer then $20 per week. Are you driving to the store? Account for transport cost? Is hunting, fishing, or natural berries available? It's bird season out here. Geese I take with a 22 LR at 100-150 yards and get them on the ground not out of the air.
Dang! Good shootin! I believe I could pull it off, but not without more than one walking away for sure. Hunting is the best bet there is at living on $20 a week imo to (squirrel, rabbit, duck, geese, grouse, turkey, etc, etc) Dare I say. Wild pig roast!?! YUM!!! And FISHING!

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I live in a urban part of a suburb and I am able to bike/walk to several stores so weekly trips are best so I can ensure I stick to my budget! That's why I allow a $25 dollar budget but will only spend 20 a week allowing that 5 dollars a week to build up so I can stock up on a few sale items aka 20bucks worth a month! I live by myself so I don't need tons of food plus I am currently over weight that's why I went wheat free because it's addicting and is what caused me to gain weight fast because it harder to quit eating when eating wheat products.

I think you guys hit the nail on the head portion control! I have been eating pretty much the same diet for the last 6mo. and I havn't gotten to tired of it as I change it up a bit but it's mostly white rice with eggs or ground trukey. I do get 4lbs of good quality turkey for 12 bucks $1 = 1/3 a lb which if I ration it out to 6 patties a week that could fit into my budget (less in other weeks too) Mainly portion control is what I will have to work on now. Plus I do have some money already set aside I wonder If I should invest in a 25lb bag of rice right now? I did go out and guy the crockpot to help add some variety to my diet I'm no chef but I think it was a good investment. I will keep you guys all informed on how it goes the first few weeks will kinda be cheating as I got a fridge stocked with some stuff already paid for. I will have to try to get a few healthier items into my diet but Bannanas are good enough fruit and at 38 cents a lb I'll be just depositing my extra quarters from savings in the bank! hahah!

Frozen veggies for about dollar a lb also seems like a great healthy veg (peas, corn, carrots, green beans) so I don't understand how I can't do it so "healthy and yummy" or are these foods not that healthy?

Also hunting is not an option for me I don't own any arms mostly because at this point in my life I don't think I can handle the responsibility enough and I am not experienced enough to be an educated adult able to ensure proper safety. Down the road that may change years and years from now but for now that's not an option. I rather not go into to much more detail I do support everyone's right to bear arms as it's purpose is to prevent an oppressive government. It's just sometimes in life you have to support others from the sidelines that's all.

Oh I did forget to point out that Aldi's store is about 25 miles round trip away. I will have to try to bulk up when I shop there I think I will go there today. I guess I should just record all my food spending and then figure it out each month and try to shoot for the 20/25 budget a month? I never really budgeted before in my life lol I can go cheap but having a budget is new to me I will post more tonight on my food haul thanks for the advice so far everyone! I guess I won't buy more rawmen noodles but I still might eat my stock pile of them still from time to time as a nice soup.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If you're trying to lose weight, I'd avoid white rice too. I lost 48 pounds by going low carb. Breakfast under 20 carbs, lunch under 30 and dinner under 45. 1-2 snacks under 25 carbs. Low carb is not cheap though, since you will be cutting out the grains and starches. I found that counting carbs helped me to be more aware of portion control and I eat a fraction of what I used to at a meal.

Here's a typical day for me:

2-3 scrambled eggs w/1 slice of toast for breakfast
3 slices of cheese with one piece of buttered bread
small portion of meat with steamed veggies for dinner
apple and a couple cookies after dinner

It's really hard to combine healthy + weight loss + frugal, but it can be done if you're very careful about how you shop.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Also hunting is not an option for me I don't own any arms mostly because at this point in my life I don't think I can handle the responsibility enough and I am not experienced enough to be an educated adult able to ensure proper safety. Down the road that may change years and years from now but for now that's not an option. I rather not go into to much more detail I do support everyone's right to bear arms as it's purpose is to prevent an oppressive government. It's just sometimes in life you have to support others from the sidelines that's all.
If you're not ready for the commitment to safely own a firearm you might consider an air rifle. You may be able to hunt with one of these (check with you local En Con), they will easily take squirrel and rabbit and they are cheap to shoot. I would look into a .22 cal pellet rifle which would allow you to keep some meat in the freezer. A single shot .22 rifle would be a good choice also but if you don't feel you're ready for that then don't do it. The last few years our budget has been stretched a bit too thin and hunting has allowed me to keep meat in the freezer without going any deeper in debt, if anyone in my house cared for fish you can bet we'd be doing that to supplement our food supply all summer. Guess we're just not hungry enough yet to eat fish.

-Infidel

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Seems you are serious, so its doable...Peanut butter is great. Nobody mentioned potatoes, they are probably next to beans and rice in price per serving.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Fill a crockpot with raw peanuts and a cup of salt then fill with water. Cook 8 hours. Best boiled peanuts you will ever eat and completely unhealthy.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Breakfast: oatmeal
Lunch/Dinner: ham 'n bean soup, potatoes, Rice

You can eat more than your fill (for an individual) of those for probably 10 a week. Then the other 10 you can add in change-ups and what not to keep your food fatigue at bay.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Don't forget physical exercise. I saw that you're able to bike/walk to your store. That's a good place to start. Healthy eating is just providing the fuel your body needs to keep going. Use that fuel to get fit and your body will use the fuel more efficiently which could mean you don't have to buy as much and thus start saving money on your food. Goes without saying the more healthy you are physically the less you'll spend on healthcare too.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts