Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bet you can. I started this when I was doing triathlons and was up to about 50ish and then I quit.

The way it works is you take a challenge test to see where you are at. Most people I know fell on the low end (which is perfectly fine). You then know where you stand with the ranks on what plan to use. The key and goal behind this is that you rest between your pushups. It almost makes it like a mental game. It does work though. I couldn't even do 2 pushups before I started this.

For instance, you do 2 pushups, then physically count to 60, then do 3 pushups, then count to 60, then do 2, count to 60, then 2 more, count to 60, then do up to 3 last ones and your done. Before you know it you have done 12 pushups within 5-6 minutes. You move this up each day and before you know it you will be able to do 20, 25, 30 etc without stopping! If you have trouble with pushups, which I did, I did the "girly" pushups (with knees) to start with. By the end of the training I was able to do 50 nonstop and without the knees!

They also have one for setups as well.

Here is the link.

http://hundredpushups.com/

·
Registered
5 Posts
when I am not being lazy I do sets of 25 fairly easily. The most I have done non stop is 50. Never had the desire to do 100 non stop but I do see it as a very attainable goal. A good workout I find is when I am jogging. Every 1/4 mile I drop and do 25 pushups. This is a great workout even if only doing 1 mile but if you up your distance and end up doing 200 pushups in the span of about 30 minutes you will definitely feel the burn. Another very easy practice I found is if you are watching TV, during every commercial break, get off your ass and do pushups until your show comes back on. You'd be amazed at how fast your number adds up.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You guys are gluttons for punishment. I used to do 100+ pushups , but my memory can't really go back that far. If I even tried it now, at my age, my heart would most likely explode. Besides, it is hard to do pushups while smoking a cig. and I almost always have a cig in my mouth. LOL

·
Registered
640 Posts
Survival... one of the things that always bothered me about our USAF PT test was that it didn't actually measure how fit you were. It was designed to see if you were "healthy" and basically showed if you would live a long life.

It never got around to seeing if you could do the actual mission. I always thought our 1.5 mile run was ridiculous since the most we would ever run would be a couple hundred yards off of a flight line as we sought shelter. I always though a 200-300 yard "run" in MOPP gear said more than a 1.5 mile fast paced jog. And pushups... really... why don't you see if I could lift my work equipment over my head repeatedly... etc.

Survival fitness should be the same. I doubt we will ever need to do pushups... but we may need to lift heavy logs, carry equipment or supplies long distances.... hike up and down hill with our gear for miles.

You may think this is crazy... but I've seriously thought about adding massage oil to my BOB. A couple of days of stress can take it's toll on the body... and a cold meal and interrupted sleep in uncomfortable places doesn't do much to restore the body. But... having a partner De-stress your body and muscles with a bit of massage oil could really refresh you and aid in healing. And... it can always double as a lubricant, etc. I'd suggest unscented of course. You don't want to be hiding and have the guy you are hiding from comment "what's that citrus and mango smell?" :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Push up, not an issue any stretching gets me.

·
Registered
24,399 Posts
I saw the need in push-ups when I was in the army. Being able to repeatedly push yourself back up to run and then fall down again every three to five seconds was an important ability. Today, however, having the strength to push, pull and drag is better.
Running two miles wasn't so much important during SHTF minutes but for the stamina to push on for long hauls. A strong cardio-vascular system helps during long days of tedious strain. Today, I MUCH prefer the elliptical machine so that I might save what remains of my weary knees.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
There's fitness and there's fitness, I was never any good at 'muscle' activities like pushups, but in my younger days I could hop on a bike and pedal 50 miles a day dead easy (longest I did was 140 miles in one day) with a full load of saddlebag, tent and sleeping bag.
But whether I could cycle as far now that I'm over 60 remains to be seen..;)

PS- at least this dood shows life doesn't end at 60-

·
Registered
24,399 Posts
Jim, that was impressive at any age. If you could hop on a loaded bike and peddle like that, I'd say your stamina was good enough to get you through most anything. I imagine you haven't dropped off too much in the years since.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I personally love the Greenbelt areas that have the workout stations Every 1/4 mile or so! STAMINA is everything!! Hand to hand Combat Push ups and pull ups(chin ups for some?) are fantastic!. . . You NEED to have core strength!! Having a solid core will help with stamina and everything else

·
Registered
296 Posts
I meant to add by the end of the normal 5 mile run each day at greenbelts, I have done 250 dips, 250 push ups, 250 pull ups and 250 (hanging from knees) sit ups! I enjoy working out and staying in as best shape as I can. Its fun for me! . . I also go to the mountains with BOB and work out train for say running my BOL and everything around it up and down all the mountain sides with BOB on . . . So in Short I guess im saying that I believe in not only strength training but you have to have stamina and you MUST know how your body will react to the gear you are planning having with you at all times!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Jim, that was impressive at any age. If you could hop on a loaded bike and peddle like that, I'd say your stamina was good enough to get you through most anything. I imagine you haven't dropped off too much in the years since.
My last cycle-camping trip 10 years ago at age 54 was a fiasco, I took ill halfway through it (thyroid) and donated my bike to a local charity shop and finished the rest of the trip on the coach, and haven't bothered doing any trips since because I've lost interest in cycling.
Got an old bike in my spare room though in case I have to bug out. I daresay if there's a news report saying "Massive asteroid impact to hit english channel within the hour!", I'd be able to pedal up onto the high ground of Dartmoor 12 miles away in time to keep my feet dry..:)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Not anymore stopped doing push-ups after I retired from the Army in 2003

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did 115 in 2 minutes at my last Navy PRT. I stopped working out for a while, but I can probably do 70-80 if I tried hard enough.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm starting my training back up tomorrow, after giving my body recovery time from the Tough Mudder I did in SC,and dealing with the storm issues here in NJ once I was back home.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't know about push-ups but i recommend avoiding any place that has monkey-bars. It seems that most all terrorist videos always have scenes of them training on monkey-bars. Then again it would make a great spot for a deer blind...

im jus sayin,

1 - 20 of 104 Posts