Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Administrator
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

How often do you see a story in the news and immediately jump to conclusions about what you have read without knowing the entire story?

Do you believe there are any truly unbiased news sources left? Or, is most news written with the purpose of getting attention, good or bad.

Have you ever called out a new source for not reporting the full story?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Most of them no. CNN, MSNBC ect make it up as the go. Yes I have called them out and they just don't care.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I'd sooner trust my Kenyan banker. Soon as I send him $5,000, . . . he's going to set up an account for both of us with a little over 5 million in it.

We can both share the 5 mil.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
With questions like these …. I think Cricket is just trying to stir the pot and get me all worked up. May God watch over any newbies and those darn stupid comments tonight. :devil:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
No, none of them. Not even the few that seem to support some of my own beliefs. (FOX & OAN)

Reactions: ActionJackson

·
Administrator
15,003 Posts
Nope, not even Fox News.
I do not watch TV. I do go to the various websites of national news, and realizing each has its own bias and agenda, try to reach a reasonable conclusion.
For a speech or news conference, I watch videos on C-Span.org to get the unvarnished words.

With the new AI being able to twist videos of people we most likely will be lied to very often.

·
Administrator
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With questions like these …. I think Cricket is just trying to stir the pot and get me all worked up. May God watch over any newbies and those darn stupid comments tonight. :devil:
Actually, I was just kind of frustrated with the news today. I am so weary of misleading images and stories that don't tell the full story.

Today KSAT News (my local channel) posted the report on Facebook.

View attachment 95423

Now anyone who vapes knows the story doesn't quite make sense, so I went to read the story and knew it made even less sense.
https://www.ksat.com/health/texas-man-dies-after-ecigarette-explodes-in-his-face

So I researched around to see what other news reports I could find.
https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...old-dies-in-texas-after-his-vape-pen-explodes

Now their headline was still "out there" but they at least told more of the story that finally makes sense.
https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...old-dies-in-texas-after-his-vape-pen-explodes

The guy was using a mechanical mod which definitely has more safety issues if you don't know what you're doing. I have been vaping for 6 years and won't even consider using a mechanical mod. I like that if I space out and put my batteries in backward, my mod won't even turn on. My vape shop (and every shop that I know of) teaches battery safety and makes you sign that you understand. Ya can't force people to listen though...

I think my point is that very few people actually understand anything about vaping so they automatically believe what they read when clearly the reporter didn't understand the topic they were writing about.

Yes, I called KSAT out on their misleading image and report.

I think we can say the same with just about any topic out there. Sensational titles draw people in. They read it on the internet so it must be true, ya know?

When did we stop thinking for ourselves?

·
Administrator
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
P.S. Please don't turn this into a debate about vaping. I was only using that as an example.

·
Administrator
15,003 Posts
P.S. Please don't turn this into a debate about vaping. I was only using that as an example.
That story even made the radio news in Florida. And it was only a few second sound bite, basically saying nothing more than the original headline you mentioned.
(I get bored delivering auto parts and sometimes listen to the radio)

·
Administrator
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was reading a political news story today. I actually checked the same topic on 4 different news media sites.

I certainly didn't expect the same slant on each story but I didn't expect totally different facts.

It makes it tough for people to have a clue what the REAL story is any more on ANY topic.

·
Registered
24,344 Posts
I read that story, this morning. Didn’t give it another thought as I knew it was erroneous. Surprised they didn’t call it a fully-automatic assault rig.

·
Administrator
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But see, that is EXACTLY what I mean by CRAP news stories.

1. I don't know anyone who thinks kids should be vaping. I also know that when I walk into my vape store with my youngest daughter (turning 25) they ask her for ID before she is all the way in the door. (FWIW she is a smoker. She doesn't vape.)

2. Why did they choose a total douchebag for this story? Why didn't they speak to folks like me who smoked (HEAVILY) for nearly 40 years and tried literally everything to quit smoking? Within weeks of me leaving smokes and vaping instead my cough went away. Within a few months, my blood pressure was back to normal and I stopped getting repeated upper respiratory infections. For me personally, if I couldn't vape, I would be smoking again.​

As I mentioned, I don't want to turn this into a debate about vaping. I want it to be about the fact that news stories manage to sensationalize EVERY DANG STORY for ratings instead of giving us a balanced story.

Why can't we just hear the news without any slant at all?

·
Premium Member
9,849 Posts
But see, that is EXACTLY what I mean by CRAP news stories.

1. I don't know anyone who thinks kids should be vaping. I also know that when I walk into my vape store with my youngest daughter (turning 25) they ask her for ID before she is all the way in the door. (FWIW she is a smoker. She doesn't vape.)

2. Why did they choose a total douchebag for this story? Why didn't they speak to folks like me who smoked (HEAVILY) for nearly 40 years and tried literally everything to quit smoking? Within weeks of me leaving smokes and vaping instead my cough went away. Within a few months, my blood pressure was back to normal and I stopped getting repeated upper respiratory infections. For me personally, if I couldn't vape, I would be smoking again.​

As I mentioned, I don't want to turn this into a debate about vaping. I want it to be about the fact that news stories manage to sensationalize EVERY DANG STORY for ratings instead of giving us a balanced story.

Why can't we just hear the news without any slant at all?
Because media outlets are a business and they want to make money. Truth doesnt sell.

Most media outlets were tanking before Trump was elected. But now that they can make up fake or sensationalized stories about him to sell to their base they are making money again.

Most are still in the toilet but they are making some money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
They lie like rugs . Pure propaganda rags. Bastards are just part of the deep state.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts