Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Camper vans, boats, submarines, aircraft etc

I was just thinking that they might be ideal to jump into and get out into the country if things get too hot in town..:)
I'm no expert (heck I've never even had a car and don't drive) but my reading is that campervans are small and motorhomes are larger, and the term 'RV' (Recreational Vehicle) is often applied to both.
Just drive out into the wilderness, pull off the road or track and you're set up for as long as you want!

Campervan

Motorhome

Needless to say you'll throw a couple of camouflage nets over for security-

·
Registered
466 Posts
You might be allright for a little while over there Jim, but where are you going to get fresh water ? How about food ? What about dumping your toilet ? If you dump it on the ground, always keep in mind that that is what started the plague once before. Unclean habits. Then the fleas got infected, jumped on rats and anything else that was warm blooded and were transported all over merry old England. Still, it would be better then sleeping on the ground. Hey, by the way, from looking at your picture, you need a shave and haircut LOL

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
Let's talk camouflage for a second....

Cammo netting comes with poles that are used to push the netting off of the object being hidden. Two reasons.
First thing is, if you throw a net over a trailer, it looks like a trailer with a net thrown over it. Use the poles to beak up the shape so that the shape of the netting looks natural. You'll not find many boxes in nature.

Second thing to consider is being able to see the object through the netting. Notice in the picture, you can still see the camper through the netting. Get the netting off and away from the object being concealed, or the object is not really concealed.

Of course, you'll want to make sure your netting is not contrasting the environment. If there are no other areas of vegetation with similar coloring...oops!

·
Registered
466 Posts
For natural camouflage, you may be able to obtain or find mud. Splatter some mud on it and it will do really good as natural camo. Cut a few bushy limbs and throw them on it and around it. The more natural, the less likely it will be spotted. White stands out way to much , no matter what you do. Better to have a can of dirty brown paint and brush to remedy that asap

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
Absolutely, the mud will be a good thing. Dirt from the surrounding environment will help conceal.

Cutting vegetation to hide something like a camper is not the preferable idea. The vegetation quickly dries and withers, and the attempted concealment is obvious. Gathering that much material requires a lot of material being removed from the area, and removed often. That, too, gives away the fact that someone is in the area.

Sometimes, the situation is just a real bi**h!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Or, you could park it where it will be seen, but you being up higher with a good field of fire. Now that would give you a bait em' kind of situation. Choices you would have to make at the time. Really depends on what your trying to hide from. Gobernut, forget it, they want you , they will find you.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
..You might be allright for a little while over there Jim, but where are you going to get fresh water ? How about food ? What about dumping your toilet ?..
No problemo, just sling your slops in the river. that's what rivers are for..:)
They also provide drinking water (drawn from upstream of slops) and fishing, so rule number one when you get out of town is to always head for a river, whether you're camper vanning or building a cabin or whatever.
Preferably it'll be a big deep river so that when it freezes in winter you can still drill holes through the ice to get at the drinking water underneath and drop a fishing line through. another hole further downstream could be your slop hole.
A lakeside is second best but is not flowing water so your slops tend to stick around.
These doods in the Baikal area of Russia have got some nice little vehicles, they can go into more rugged terrain than a heavier campervan or motorhome could. Anything with enough room in the back for sleeping flat out is fine.
The vehicle in the bottom pic (Bratsk, Siberia in the month of June) looks like an ordinary utility van, but as long as there's sleeping room in the back it'll do..:)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
..Cammo netting comes with poles that are used to push the netting off of the object being hidden...
Yay, dunno what's under this but its been nicely pegged and poled to hide whatever's underneath-

..Splatter some mud on it and it will do really good as natural camo. Cut a few bushy limbs and throw them on it and around it...
Yah, here's a military dood burying his vehicle under leafy stuff; only downside is that he'll have to do it all over again with fresh stuff in a few days when the old stuff withers like Denton said-

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've had my eye on these and some like it, little 16-19 footers really have me interested.

Beautiful..:)
I've been trying for years to find a caravan (trailer) like that to live in, either on a static residential site or in a lone caravan in a wood but there are relatively few sites or lone 'vans in Britain and they're hard to find.
I've temporarily stayed in them on holidays sites and they blow my socks off.
As a single dood and simplicity freak i kinda like the notion of living in a caravan because you feel so much closer to nature, you'd hear the rain pattering on the roof and you'd feel it gently swaying in the wind, unlike a solid brick house where you're cut off from nature.
I envy the dood in this one whoever he is, and he's even painted it green to blend in with the environment-

·
Registered
450 Posts
I bought a travel trailer for hunting camp recently and it would do well for a portable (kinda) home but it is too large to travel any roads like in the pictures above in previous posts. It aint new and it aint fancy but it sure beets tent camping which I've done for too many years.

1895gunner

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I bought a travel trailer for hunting camp recently and it would do well for a portable (kinda) home but it is too large to travel any roads like in the pictures above in previous posts. It aint new and it aint fancy but it sure beets tent camping which I've done for too many years.
1895gunner
Yeah, living in a vehicle or trailer will stop grizzlies and other varmints getting at us. A schoolkid was killed by a polar bear that ripped through his tent in Norway last year-
Brit Horatio Chapple, 17, killed in polar bear attack | The Sun |News

And if the weather goes crazy a tent won't be much protection against big hailstones.
Also if we set up a tent under trees a branch could break off and drop on our tent anytime there's a strong wind..:)

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
We then you'd have to change your handle to "UnLucky"

I have a '90 Dodge Turtle Top Camper Van. A Chap could get rid of his slop in a "French Drain" setup. Just pipe the Head in direct.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
True story- A dood called Chris McCandless set up in this old bus in Alaska, but he made two baaad mistakes- firstly he let a swollen river cut him off from civilisation, and secondly he ate wild berries and stuff without checking to see if they were poisonous. His mindset was also a bit shaky. "Lonely", "scared" he wrote in his diary..
The moral?- anybody can take off into the wilderness, but if they ain't got basic survival knowledge and right mindset, they're going up the spout..

McCandless's bus 142 is now a hikers tourist attraction-

His story was also made into the film "Into the Wild"
WIKI- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_McCandless

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Boats too are worth considering holing up in; we could moor on some remote area of river well away from roads and towns and have all the water and fishing we need..:)

I'd definitely slap some green/brown camo paint on this one if it was mine, or drape a camo net over it.
Later we could start the engine and move to another spot anytime if we wanted.
Disadvantage is that a gang cruising the river in their boat might come upon us unexpectedly and we'd be sitting ducks-

This one's not bad, nice solid wooden construction but it looks like it can't be moved-

"Will we be safe here Mr. Allnut?"
"Why sure Miss, ain't nobody gonna find us down this backwater!"

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If we ever come across a derelict plane in a post-Apoc world, it'd make a great place to live. This one looks a bit bare inside so we'd have to do it up a bit, or else find one that's already snugly warm thanks to its soundproofing-

Cargomaster-

Inside-

1 - 20 of 35 Posts