Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have/had one milsurp model that my mother has laid claim to, so I'm in the market. I made the mistake of leaving it in her shed.
I was all ready to order a SOG tool until I did a search on a couple sites. The only reviews I found for it were on Amazon and they were all "FAIL!". Very disappointing.
Also found not-so-good reviews for the Gerber models.
In fact, none of the cheaper models got good reviews.
Now I'm looking close at just a plain shovel; Cold Steel Specialces Shovel Steel Blade Hardwood Handle $19.99 + S&H

So, what do you have and do you like them?
Post about any camp shovels or trenching tools you have and whether you like them or not and why.
List:
brand names,
built in gadgets, whether you found them useful,
your opinion of overall value,
'ballpark' prices,

Thanks in advance, this should be interesting.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
The cold steel shovel is the bomb! I have had several different compact shovels and entrenching tools that I use at work when I get stuck and so forth. The folding shovels are ok but I much prefer the wood handle and larger blade of the Cold Steel shovel. I see they call it the “special forces shovel” for the longest time it was the spetnez shovel.

·
Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
That looks like the one the Germans carried in WWII.

I scrapped my original plan of using my knife to dig in favor of using my SOG fasthawk. It has a pointy pick-like thingie on one end and a hatchet blade on the other, and digs really well. I just scoop the loose dirt out with my hands or use my canteen cup. Yeah I know, but I like to carry less that does more, and don't plan on doing enough digging to justify carrying a dedicated tool. About $30 at amazon.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
That looks like the one the Germans carried in WWII.

I scrapped my original plan of using my knife to dig in favor of using my SOG fasthawk. It has a pointy pick-like thingie on one end and a hatchet blade on the other, and digs really well. I just scoop the loose dirt out with my hands or use my canteen cup. Yeah I know, but I like to carry less that does more, and don't plan on doing enough digging to justify carrying a dedicated tool. About $30 at amazon.
The Cold Steel shovel has a tempered blade with a cutting edge so it works as good as a hatchet as well as a shovel.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Army entrenching tool is out standing. However like so many things there are cheap worthless copies out there.

AMES entrenching tool the real deal. Cheap copies don't cut it
50 bucks in case new.

Reactions: BigCheeseStick

·
Registered
938 Posts
I use the Glock trench spade/entrenching tool. Three position locking blade - flat spade, angled prying/scraping/grading/shaping/mounding, and 90 degree hoe/pick. Has a telescoping handle with a hidden enclosed tree saw/root saw inside the handle.

Combined with a Glock field knife with root saw back and straight edge blade, and you can dig a nice fire pit, etc.

Comes in a nice ballistic nylon pouch, fits in your pack, affordable but not cheap. Root saw is also a flat blade screwdriver.

I own two of them, one for each pack, and three Glock field knives. They are that good.

They work great in snow too - if that is an issue for you. And they dig really well. And would make a decent last-ditch weapon (pun intended)...!

Check them out. You'll thank me later.

Link:

GLOCK USA

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Many of the copies do not lock well and the shaft is thin metal and does not hold up. and of course cheap steel.
Have abused more than one of them in my time.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I gave all mine away. There just too heavy and bulky for me to pack for what I needed them for. I'm not digging fighting positions anymore. Out in the woods I dig for worms, fire pits, trap holes, support beam and latrine holes. With my machete, knives, and all the other crap, it's a lot of weight. I found a simple light weight trowel was good enough and is much easier to pack and on my back.

Kitchen utensil Nickel Fashion accessory Tool Metal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts