Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out side to get a couple of things yesterday before work. And Ill be damned, there is another litter of stray cats under my house again! Unfortunately I live in a area of the city where it seems people drop off and dump their unwanted pets and I have to eventually deal with them.

I broke out the one live trap I have...they said they would press animal cruelty charges against me if I used the conibear traps to "eliminate" the problem, and got cracking. With in a hour I had 4 of them and made animal control work a little over time to come and pick them up. They actually wanted to clock out and go home and wanted me to release them and catch them later at a more convenient time. I had to get snotty with them and explained that I am headed to work in 45 minutes and if they didnt come and get them I would do their job for them. Needless to say they came and picked them up. Funny how that works when they know you aint BS'ing. A few hours later I had the other turd trapped and wrapped. Got that sucker picked up this morning and didnt have to stay up and loose sleep waiting for them to come and get it.

Been a while since I have done some serious trapping. Nice to know I can still get it done pretty effciently. Like I always say...Dont let the gray hair fool ya, I still got mad game! Looks like I am in for a busy summer this year...sigh.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I had heard of some people videoing shooting kittens and dogs that they get of the internet...Thankfully you did the right thing...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure why they take issue with using Conibear traps...after all they are killing them right after they pick them up from me...whats the point? I have no problem being humane, but I do have a problem with a under funded, lazy AC facility not wanting to do their job. If they wont do it, then I sure will do it for them. I just wont be "enjoying" it or be video taping it, but I will do what necessarily needs to be done.

I guess the real upside to this, the silver lining in the gray cloud if you will, is that I get to practice trapping skills without the need or expense of a license. One day I might really need the skill for real!

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Here in he "great state of NM" i dont know what they do with strays caught by the public, I do know that I was being woke up by a damn skunk where I lived, (an apartment complex), he seemed to be spending his nights directly under my swamp cooler. I went to AC and they told me I could be on the list to borrow a live trap, but I had to constantly check it, and that if i trapped one, to call them immediately, becouse it would be considered cruelty to animals, if he spent to much time in the cage......I told them I work all day, and if they could help me, na, they couldn't. No trap, thank goodness he stopped coming around.
Now I live on the edge of town, and when I smell one I go looking with my BB gun, havent seen one yet, only went "hunting twice"..

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I bet with an open can of Sardines, you could catch a load of cats, raccoons, and skunks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our neighbor decided that uncontrolled breeding of wild cats was a good idea. He left his garage door cracked open to allow them access. I had freaking cats everywhere and no birds, squirrels or rabbits anywhere. Those cats were under my motorcycle cover, in the engine compartment of my truck and ran into my garage when I opened the door. They howled all night when they were breeding. It was an out of control problem he had twenty five of them in his driveway at any given time and kittens everywhere. One big tom got in my backyard (5 ft chainlink) and my doberman killed it but not before suffering a deep gash over her eye. I can tell you that was it for me. I took that dead cat over and told him that my dog was now at risk because of his uncontrolled and un-vaccinated cats and it has to end. He agreed (wife was behind it) and we trapped cats for two weeks with the help of animal control we delivered up to five cats a day sometimes twice a day. We live in a small town where our AC guy is the same guy we hire for our electrical work. Anyway, my dog was fine but ended up with a vicious scar. We used cat food - they wouldn't touch canned tuna for some reason...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Im too far out in the country for those problems I just get the possums and racoons with cat food. I figure helpin them with a bit of food in winter isnt a bad thing.

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My first thought upon reading the thread title was, "But do you remember how to use it?"!

Nuthin' but love Shipmate, nuthin' but love:grin:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man I only wished I lived far enough out that I could get away with some Shorts or CB caps. That would have been the quickest way to solve my little dilema here.

Nipped this little problem in the bud pretty good last summer and had a great few cat free months other than a couple that have collars that belong to neighbors close by. That I was able to tolerate well enough. Got a little lazy this winter though and the numbers started adding back up again. We got a couple of Bob Cats that have moved in the area and I was kinda hoping that they would thin the population a bit for me but apparently they arent on the menu.

Yep a can of Sardines are usually the hot ticket in the traps or the bucket sets with a Conibear. I have tried cat food which is much cheaper but seem to get Opposums and Raccoons more often than not. Not sure why that seems to be the trend. Thank God I havent caught a Skunk yet...as I knock on wood!!! Man would that suck. The day that happens I will undoubtedly score some major cool points with Animal Control, NOT! Better they get sprayed than me, thats what they get paid the big bucks for, ha ha ha.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
We live trap the strays, and take them to the pound. Yet we also keep a couple around that are ours we've had them fixed, had to live trap them to catch them... so no litters...The Tom is territorial and doesn't like stray toms on his turf. The tabby is a rodent killing machine and keeps the mice down. They aren't house pets...and they will get real sketchy if one gets too close. Not the petting kind of cats...lol

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Id rather have the Coyotes and Bobcats around. They accomplish the same thing and their fur is actually worth something...cant say that about cats!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I'm neutral on cats...Take them or leave them either way.

Yet if I had a preference it would be for conservative cats...at least they earn their keep...the progressive ones just lay around and instigate problems and then want to be fed...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the same issue being in the country.We selected a few that we feed sparingly to keep them "a little" hungry and had them fixed,haven't had a rodent problem since.Now when we get a little care package dropped off,i simply round them up into a pet carrier,drive them into the nearby city,pick a nice looking neighborhood and then return the favor :mrgreen:.I figure they have a better chance there than with our local overrun shelter.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Phoenix AZ has a feral cat program where they trap, spay / neuter and vaccinate all cats in certain urban / town areas. It keeps the snake and rat population down. So that can be a good thing and they don't let the cats reproduce. I think they put an RFID chip in like every 10th one to track them and see where they go.

On the other hand - in the more rural areas of Phoenix we have an informal feral coyote, bobcat, hawk, great horned owl program. It is call the Suburban All You Can Eat Program - basically these four animals eat anything they find. You have until sundown to find your pet if they get out. After that - sionara! They also sneak into backyards and carry off smaller dogs and cats like chihuahuas and weiner dogs and stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I catch several raccoons, skunks, cats, even got 1 fox but that is unusual. For skunks get a cheap 5x7 tarp and hold it up as a shield and cover the trap, they rarely spray but if they do it saves your clothes.

I tie a rope on the handle and give them a swimming lesson in my pond, it's similar to the 3xS rule, shoot shovel and shut up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts