Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people have heard of the reasons why 9mm is the best round for SHTF situations but im posting this incase someone hasn't and who knows this might save someones life. In a SHTF situation and you want to bug out, buy a 9mm hand gun. This is because 9mm is a NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) there for besides .22 LR 9mm is the most available round. I understand that some preppers belive they will never run out of ammunition but how long will this disaster last.

-Anthony

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
It makes sense to buy weapons that shoot rounds you are more likely to find or be able to take.
US Military uses
9mm
5.56 Nato
308 Nato
12ga
limited .45 ACP
So those are number 1 on my list
Other than that there is likely enough 7.62X 39 in the US to supply a major war.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just an FYI on .223 and 5.56 and .308/ 7.62 nato.
These are not 100% interchangable.
I can shoot .223 and 5.56 in an AR but the 5.56 will not function in our 700 BDL VLS.
The 7.62 NATO will not function in the Savage Classic .308 but will in the HB Taticle.

So before you stock up on ammunition please try it in the intended firearm.

·
Registered
193 Posts
9mm kurz(short) is refered to in America as the .380.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
9mm what? Kurz?Parabellum?
9x19 standard AKA 9mm nato 9mm not the Russian 9x18
Our bolt action rifles shoot 308, .223 and 5.56 nato. I do have 30.06 and 30-30

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Don't get me wrong I have a Ruger P95 and love that tank of a gun but running out of ammo just seems impossible to me with the exception of the Lapua. I only have 60 live and 100 reloads for it, but to be honest if I shoot that 160x in a short period my shoulder will kill me.

Most people have heard of the reasons why 9mm is the best round for SHTF situations but im posting this incase someone hasn't and who knows this might save someones life. In a SHTF situation and you want to bug out, buy a 9mm hand gun. This is because 9mm is a NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) there for besides .22 LR 9mm is the most available round. I understand that some preppers belive they will never run out of ammunition but how long will this disaster last.

-Anthony

·
Registered
17 Posts

-Anthony
Thing is, where to buy bulk ammo cheap? Most places seem busted out right now due to panic about potential new gun "control."

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Thing is, where to buy bulk ammo cheap? Most places seem busted out right now due to panic about potential new gun "control."
Keep you eyes open and know what your willing to pay.
This morning Fleet farm had some great buys on different rounds but the sold quick so you musty must you product and buy when it is right. If you need to go home and think about it ,it is to late.
That should settle down a bit in a month or so.

Reactions: Dock

·
Registered
207 Posts
either way nato rounds are what people need to stalk up on.
-Anthony
Really? You think they need to sneak up on ammunition? What is it gonna run away?

And most folks would be far better off actually S T O C King stuff that is gonna be viable game-getting ammunition rather than FMJ nato stuff , along with cases , powder ,primers and a variety of slugs for a variety of uses.

A 'prepper guru' you're not.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
Buying is good, but reloading is better. If you're really putting away that much ammo, consider getting a reloader. You can save a lot of money in the long run. Fortunately I was able to buy a few thousand more primers right before the unfortunate situation that caused the buying frenzy.
Found 2K CCI#500

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
I figure I'll STOCK up on the ammo that corresponds with my weapons, none of which are in the 9mm caliber. Never wanted the 9mm after I bought the 92SB before the army went to it. Despised it.

If I have to worry about using NATO 9mm, I'll use one of their weapons. No need in stocking up on their ammo just because they use it.

See what I am saying?

Besides. You'd better already be ammo'd-up. I've never been one to think that the time was "now," but at this juncture, I feel as if they might cry HAVOC and let slip the dogs of war, as it seems all the pressures are coming together.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts