Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Do you have a link to the combo or is it a used deal off someone? Be nice to see it and the detailed specs of the parts. Pretty much interchangebale top means the upper itself and there are quite a few .22lr uppers on the market, besides conversion kits. Some people plan on carrying a complete .22lr upper with them for a BOB with their AR, but it's a good amount of weight. A dedicated .22lr upper though has a better twist barrel specifically for .22lr than a conversion where you're changing out the BCG with the conversion BCG and using the rest of the upper, barrel being part of it designed in the normal 1 in 9, 1 in 8, or 1 in 7 inch twist rate for .223/5.56x45mm. Either way, when switching out to the upper or conversion you're essentially taking your defensive rifle out of the loop for protection till you can convert it back and looking to make noise that could draw other people at the same time. If you're not alone in the situation I've always felt it better just to simply have another person carry a good .22lr rifle like the Ruger 10/22 while you or someone else carries the AR or other defensive rifle/s. Bushmasters aren't the same quality as they usd to be in the old days, but still a good basic AR quality too.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022/index.html

22 Long Rifle | Upper Receiver Assemblies | AR-15

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have a link I was looking at it at Dicks sporting goods yesterday. I was thinking to use the 22 for target and getting used to the weapon then using the .223 for protection. It is Bushmaster Carbon 15 Combo is all I have sorry.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I do not have a link I was looking at it at Dicks sporting goods yesterday. I was thinking to use the 22 for target and getting used to the weapon then using the .223 for protection. It is Bushmaster Carbon 15 Combo is all I have sorry.
Carbon 15 is enough for me. Having seen enough of them broken at the rear of the lower receiver I recommend you pass. The M16 ( the AR a commercial version of) was designed around 7075 T6 aircraft aluminum for the maximum tensile strength it provides and capability to do the job. Though companies and time have shown the lower receiver isn't as high a stress part and having been building polymer lowers more these days, it still has a certain amount of stress put on it and why 7075 T6 is still standard. Most that are are also making them to much thicker walls and support because of the weaker material. I would suggest you pass if you're looking for a high quality rifle anyways that you can count on through the probable rough times to come. There are some good deals and I suggest you look towards getting a good quality, but affordable for you milspec AR to start than the .22lr option. Some good choices are either a Stag Model 1 or Colt 6920 which can be had for good prices these days. There are also piston AR's which don't has as many common parts, but are much easier to maintain and you can buy spare parts for, for close to the same starting price for the rifle itself.

Stag Arms for Sale at BudsGunShop

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Thank you for the help... Hubby wanted to buy it for me yesterday and I told him lets wait and check around. So glad we didn't get t now. I will keep looking.
That's a wise choice in just not jumping the gun. Lots of options out there. You can go complete rifles, buy a complete lower and complete upper seperately and simply put them together as per being in military spec to the machining there designed to fit, or have one built or build one. Researching the options and than deciding is always good. If I can help, let me know. Buds above is actually one of the best priced dealers on the net and transfering a rifle is as easy as finding a local shop that does transfers, buy the rifle from Buds giving them the shops info and vise versa with the shop, pay the shops transfer fee ($25 is normal), do the exact same paperwork you would for any firearms purchase (4473 form) and take it home upon approval.

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
Carbon 15 is enough for me. Having seen enough of them broken at the rear of the lower receiver I recommend you pass.
Thanks Fuzzee, I almost bought one. A long time ago I was a fan of Bushmaster. Then I did the internet research and found it was not the same company. Next I looked at WW. Not a bad review posted. I have had mine only a couple of months now. I really like this, it's my 1st adventure into the AR world and I am having fun.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Thanks Fuzzee, I almost bought one. A long time ago I was a fan of Bushmaster. Then I did the internet research and found it was not the same company. Next I looked at WW. Not a bad review posted. I have had mine only a couple of months now. I really like this, it's my 1st adventure into the AR world and I am having fun.
Glad you didn't. There a cheap fun gun at most for as long as they last and not a good choice for the serious need user who's looking for a quality, tough rifle they can defend themselves and their family with in my opinion. I haven't gotten any shooting time with the Windham's, but from what I've seen with the one's at the store the quality looks good. So are the reviews I've read. I hope it serves you well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you want a 22LF to learn to short with and get used to the AR platform check out Walmart and the SIG 22 LR rifle.

Sig Sauer 522 Field Rifle, .22 LR: Hunting : Walmart.com

Rock River is making a very nice line of affordable AR's these days and possible better quality than BM and I have a number of Bushmasters.

Rock River Arms AR15 CAR A4 .223/5.56 W/6 Position Stock, 30 Rnd - Impact Guns

Buy the best quality 5.56 chambered AR (avoid AR's chamber in .223 Only as shooting USGI Surplus, Mil Spec 5.56 can be dangerous) and pick up a Ruger 10/22 to learn with for a coupe hundred dollars.

Carbon 15's were problematic at best as .2223/5.56 pistols, Bushmaster bought the Carbon line rights and dabbled in a LW AR rifle but they are few and far between as most dealers wont carry them.

Karsten

·
Registered
57 Posts
Everyone is making an AR of some type nowadays. As has been mentioned Windham Weaponry makes good guns as does CMMG, Rock River, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, BCM, Daniel Defense and of course Colt. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Most of these companies now also offer piston guns that run much cleaner and cooler if that is what you are looking for.

The idea of a .22 upper or conversion is an excellent idea. I have either .22 conversions or identical .22 rifles and pistols for most all of my guns. In some cases, like CMMG, the AR lower they use on their on some of their.22 rifles is an actual AR lower so all you would need is to purchase a 5.56 upper and it would work just fine or vis versa.

The point with the barrel twist in regards to .22 conversions can cause issues. The .22 lr round fired through a standard 5.56 upper will work and be fairly accurate however most .22's have something like a 1:16 twist and will shoot much better.

Although not the ultimate defensive firearm a .22 with a high cap mag can be a great option for either a new shooter or someone who is recoil sensitive. Not many would stand still or stick around while 30 rounds of .22 HP's were coming at them.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Ok I think I am getting close to making a purchase. I am now looking at a Ruger SR 556. Anyone have any input about this pros or cons..
Overall I've found the quality of build on the SR-556's pretty good. Ruger can make a good rifle. While the Mini-14's are widely barked over as inaccurate, especially compared to an AR15, there still reliable and fairly accurate. Afterall, Ruger makes the most popular and very respected semi-auto .22lr out there today in the 10/22. Unlike the 10/22 and Mini-14 though, the SR-556's are a new gun with pretty much no aftermarket and the only source for parts is Ruger. Ruger doesn't even want people working on the SR-556's and want them sent in still to my knowledge. They also don't want owner to disassemble them so far. It's where, while I think there a fair rifle, I'd suggest you consider other options, Adams Arms mainly as not only do they sell conversions for DI AR's you can use as spare parts, sold at many retailers, but the seperate spare parts besides from them and other retailers also.

Than not only do they also have more builders using their system and selling whole rifles, but Smith & Wesson also, licensed and building complete rifles and uppers off their system and making the part themselves that you can also use most of with a standard Adams system excluding the shortened block and spigot they modified to take off a little front weight. Front weight which the SR-556's have a fair amount of and why they made the shortened version of themselves. You can buy a complete rifle from Adams, Core, Huldra, Sabre Defense, and the Smith & Wessons version. Or a complete upper and put it on top of a complete lower of your choice. Adams Arms themselves use Mega Arms receivers too which are some of the best out there in my opinion. Besides the Adams Arms system and rifles being the best choice for the prepper because of the above reasons of commonality, spare parts, not to mention being extremely reliable and easy to care for. I've been using their system myself for years now. This is a custom built AR using the Adams carbine length system sitting on a Mega billet lower with Magpul furniture beside the other pick parts.

Some links,

Adams Arms - Adams Arms - AR15 Gas Piston Systems

Adams Arms - AR15.COM

Rainier Arms™ | Manufacturer

RifleGear - Adams Arms

Complete CORE15 Rifles -

Huldra Arms - Ultimate Gas Piston Rifles

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

There are other piston AR's out there also though if you like to know more about and other options besides AR's like the Scar, ACR, XCR, Msar's, Sig 556's that use Stanag magzine the standard issue magazine for many world forces and many rifles in 5.56x45mm/.223.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Watercanlady.

The AR is known as the Barbie doll for men and women as there are so many versions and accessories available for them.

I have some of each of the piston guns, standard AR's and SIG rifles which are all great but for your purposes a standard off the shelf AR will do everything you want it to do. Smith and Wesson, Colt, Daniel Defense, Windham Weaponry or CMMG all make good rifles among many others and spare parts and service are common. Piston rifles like the Ruger as has been mentioned can be front heavy and although they do run cleaner the system is not needed by everyone.

Pick a quality rifle that has the things you want already on it or buy a basic rifle and add to it yourself. Once you have the basic rifle you can add the accessories that you want or need. In most cases, depending on how your rifle comes from the factory, it is basically adding parts to the rail system.

Here is a video that might help. MAC is a great resource. He does many gun reviews and will tell you if a firearm is good or bad.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I am looking at a Bushmaster AR-15 Combo. It is a .223 and has interchangeable top to a .22. The price is $899.00 Does anyone have any knowledge or suggestions about this ? Any help much appreciated....
Look around that same combo sells as low as 689. There is a reason they are low cost. However they do work and shoot ok. Would not be my choice.
At 900 dollars you can do a lot better.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Thanks... Now am I misunderstanding the Colt 6920 is not a piston system ? Or is it ?
Not. The Colt 6920 is a 16 inch barreled direct impingement AR closely similar to a GI M4 though with the longer barrel and no auto switch. Colt does make a piston AR now, but it's still fairly new and there the only one's who make the system and you could get parts from. It's opinion whether it's actually much or any better than a Ruger SR-556 or other piston AR's. People like to consider Colt's the standard to be set by, but they don't actually make all there parts and by them from the same sources others do which makes them assemblers in part like everyone else. A rifle is a sum of the parts it's built with and how it's assembled.

http://www.colt.com/ColtLawEnforcement/Products/ColtAdvancedPistonSystem.aspx

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok Fuzzee, I have wanted to thank you for serving our country and kept sending before typing it. Our oldest son served in the Army for 17 years before having a heart attack. Thank you again....
Now we have found the S&W M&P 15 PSX at Dicks for $1,099.00 with $100.00 off making it $999.00 is this a good price? They have one in stock and everywhere else is by order with the warehouses being out at this time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.