Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The beauty is you can twist, bend and modify this recipe at will. You can use beef, pork and chicken as the 3 meats and just have fun with it. My wife adds a shot of burbon as well. Good eats from the Kentucky backwoods…..

Ingredients

2 gallons water
5 lb. ground deer
2 lb. squirrel in pieces
2 lb. rabbit

1st
2 c.okra
3 c. chopped onions
3 quarts cubed taters
3 quarts chopped maters
chopped celery to taste
1 cup apple cider or juice

2nd
6 c. sweet corn
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
2 chopped onions

4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
1 tsp sage
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
2 tblsp paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tblsp Worcestershire
1 tblsp hot sauce or substitute with vinegar

Put the rabbit and squirrel in the water, bring to a boil, then a low simmer. Brown the dear and add. Add the first batch of vegetables and spices and simmer for hours, until very done. Add the second batch of vegetables and cook until done and rabbit and squirrel should be falling off the bone. Add crumbled bacon, then seasonings to taste.

And remember it takes all day to make the best burgoo....

Ya got yourself burgoo like we make it back in the hills.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
The beauty is you can twist, bend and modify this recipe at will. You can use beef, pork and chicken as the 3 meats and just have fun with it. My wife adds a shot of burbon as well. Good eats from the Kentucky backwoods…..

Ingredients

2 gallons water
5 lb. ground deer
2 lb. squirrel in pieces
2 lb. rabbit

1st
2 c.okra
3 c. chopped onions
3 quarts cubed taters
3 quarts chopped maters
chopped celery to taste
1 cup apple cider or juice

2nd
6 c. sweet corn
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
2 chopped onions

4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
1 tsp sage
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
2 tblsp paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tblsp Worcestershire
1 tblsp hot sauce or substitute with vinegar

Put the rabbit and squirrel in the water, bring to a boil, then a low simmer. Brown the dear and add. Add the first batch of vegetables and spices and simmer for hours, until very done. Add the second batch of vegetables and cook until done and rabbit and squirrel should be falling off the bone. Add crumbled bacon, then seasonings to taste.

And remember it takes all day to make the best burgoo....

Ya got yourself burgoo like we make it back in the hills.
Nothin better than southern cooking!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
You can substitute chicken for the rabbit and most any rodent would sub for the squirrel... :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
It is HARD to beat southern cookin.. Whenever we go to a friends house here and bring food. They are always so happy!! Here at the ranch there was about 40-50 people this year for turkey day and my fiance and I did most of the cooking. It was like they have never had good food before. That's all they talked about was the food. We even made some Sweet Tea. OMG, you would have thought it was gold!! They have had tea with sugar in it but not SWEET TEA.. You guys int he south know what I;m talkin about.. There were people actually guarding the jugs of tea..lol

My fiance and I are foodies and LOVE to cook.. There is one restaurant in town and it SUCKS. It's a Korean family making american and Chinese food. Not even Korean which is what you would think they would be good at. We have considered opening a small little cafe serving a mix of food, mostly southern and Cajun.. Maybe after the first of the year.. We will see.. great recipe though. I'll have to try it out!!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
You can substitute chicken for the rabbit and most any rodent would sub for the squirrel... :)
I didn't realize you could use POLITICIANS as a substitute for squirrel (rodents), TYVM I think they have a bit much fat for me but I'll give it a try

·
Registered
988 Posts
Burgoo sounds really good....guess I would need to watch someone prep it before I tried. Is this something that could be prepped on a camp fire in one pot? Like...brown the deer first, drain and then prep the rest?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Burgoo sounds really good....guess I would need to watch someone prep it before I tried. Is this something that could be prepped on a camp fire in one pot? Like...brown the deer first, drain and then prep the rest?
Just cook your meats first and in order of longest cooking time first and roll on....

·
Registered
686 Posts
Cajun food keeps coming up and coming to mind with this recipe...

Cajuns eat anything that doesn't eat them first and they've got enough history to have figured out how to make it taste damn good too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.