Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about starting a bunker/saferoom construction company. I've been a home builder for years, built large inter-city buildings, and for the last 4 years I've been building bridges over rivers and interstates, so construction is an area I have a lot of experience. I own 2 businesses as of right now and co-own a web development company also, so I'm also familiar with the business aspect also. Does anyone operate a similar business here? Is there some advice I should hear before diving in? How does one maintain anonymous protection with their client(s) from suppliers like concrete? Thanks

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
You don't buy or rent anything locally of the construction site. Bring in your own dozer, crane, cement mixer, etc. And you don't hire anyone locally of the construction site. Bring your own crew & equipment. Any materials you go atleast one county over to purchase.

Because of this, cheaper to do welded metal sections. Bring them to the site, & weld them together. That way basically just need a dozer on site. Dig the hole, push sections into place, then backfill.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
For underground, round takes less material to counter the pressures then rectangular. But doing rectangular or square you can build floor, walls, ceiling, etc & weld it all together on scene. Someone wants something like 16x16 you can make the floor & ceiling two sections each of 8x16 for easy transport.
Doing it this way you probably will need both a dozer & crane. Plus a self powered welder since most will be assembled in an area of no available electricity. And you will have to have the means to coat the welds to protect them. But I believe that can be done with generic truck bed lining such as Rhino.

Anything metal I would start with a good layer of gravel underneath for drainage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the insight, I do quite a bit of welding at work, so I'm experienced at it bit would really like to speacialize in concrete structures, might have to get my own concrete trucks.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Best place to advertize would be on any forum such as this or any other prepper forum. Video of construction of one & put it on youtube. Or take pics of construction of one & submit an article to one of the prepper magazines.

A big problem you might run into is permits with concrete construction. Plus there is pulling the permits. Licensed contractor for the state & county of doing the construction? Prefabricated you are doing an installation versus construction.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
If you have the equipment and skills on hand it would not be a bad Idea to offer it as one more Service you can provide.
I would not go out and invest a lot of cash or debt in equipment to do it.
Kind of like adding another shelf of bread at the Gas station floor space,sale people all that cost is already covered.
Advertise like most do spam the internet kidding
Get a story done on you by Fox news.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts