Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
You need to shoot and scoot. Hang around chanting "Allah Ak Bar" and you are basically turning it into Allah's Waiting Room.
Moral of the story - Don't get greedy. If you are that good you can make the same shot again from a new window.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps the sniper thought the wall would stop bullets, it certainly surprised me to see bullets coming through it, maybe it was just some cheap lightweight cement stuff instead of proper solid bricks

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would want a heck of a wall in front of me if the ones shooting had any of the NATO small arms penetrator rounds. 5.56 or 7.62.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The standard for the 5.56 NATO is to penetrate a helemt at several hundred meters. That poor fellah is now with his maker.
"NATO Ball (U.S.: M855) can penetrate up to 3 mm (about 1⁄8 in) of steel at 600 meters" from wiki

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
That was not much of a wall construction in that part of the world is not what you would expect.
A full metal jacket and reasonable range would penetrate a wall like that.
A 50 will blow through a rather thick one and still make a kill.
It is Good practice to take you weapons and ammo out and see what it will do for your self.
Set up a car door, some blocks fire away you will lean a lot from it.
I had someone tell me a 380 would not penetrate a skull. After a good laugh I set up a steel insulated door with 7 /16 plywood behind it. Painted a bad guy on it and ask daughter to take a shot at BG's nose at 21 feet with her LCP 380. It went through both and kept going
Handwriting Font Grey Window Rectangle
Handwriting Gesture Font Art Writing

Watch this one to the end .
Note the weapons the Marines are carrying are m16a4 not m4's The last issue version of the m16

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Resting the barrel of that rifle on the wall and leaning down on it, likely caused severe deflection from zero, Maybe not enough to cause a miss at short distance on human sized targets but very likely.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
penetration, .22 caliber magnum rounds will deflect off from a deer forehead, so a .380 doing the same on a human skull, not certain in eather way, however it would be a good possibility to have an off angle deflection.

I have experimented with .223 FMJ along with 30-30 .270 30-06, these calibers will penetrate 1/2" plate steel at less than 50 yards.
12 gauge slugs will explode standard cynder blocks,

moral, of the story, a standard wall is not a sure thing,

A car door or quarter panel on a plastic car is certainly not.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
That wall pictured in that Vid would have proved little challenge for ball ammo. If said ball ammo also had a steel core it would have zipped through a couple of those walls. Home Boy is lucky he didnt get his ticket punched before firing the first shot much less being allowed to fire like that several times before receiving return fire. I know if I was still active duty he would have garnered my undivided attention the second he stuck that muzzle through that hole in the wall! The puff of dust from the muzzle blast would have been like a big blinking neon sign saying "Shoot right here!". He would have been in deep doo-doo going up against any US DM much less a Sniper team.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Perhaps the sniper thought the wall would stop bullets, it certainly surprised me to see bullets coming through it, maybe it was just some cheap lightweight cement stuff instead of proper solid bricks
When ever you build you use what is primarily available. In that part of the world its goat shit and sand and when you squeeze it together you get mud bricks. Maybe some cement in there too but not much. And an AK will eat up cinder block. So will a couple pumps on a shotgun with buck shot. So yeah, combination of weak cover and ball ammo and you have the makings of a bad choice. Now if the gun on the other side was a military gun, and I'm certain it was - like something big and purpose built, even heavy walls and concrete are no match once you start chiseling away at it with depleted uranium.

So back to the original post and topic, many people think cover and concealment are the same thing - they are not. A quilt will conceal you. It just keeps the enemy from knowing where to shoot but it doesn't give you any cover. Most people think that a vehicle (made of steel right?) is good cover. Nope, it conceals you, but can easily be shot through with small caliber hand guns. Bigger stuff like a .308 are no match and basically the engine block is the only thing that provides cover.

If you want real cover you need something fortified. Layers of steel with sand between them. Sand bags. A bunker with a earthen berm around it. That kind of stuff. Even castle walls were not much protection when cannons came around. When cannon shot would hit the castle walls the cannon ball wouldn't penetrate on the first few shots, but the energy would be transferred into the castle wall like in a Newtons Cradle (the thing with all the balls on a string that tic tic tic each other). That would cause the stone and masonry on the inside of the castle to come shooting out of the wall in a shotgun like effect blasting people with sharp shards of stone and rock. That was more deadly that one single cannon ball.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
When ever you build you use what is primarily available. In that part of the world its goat shit and sand and when you squeeze it together you get mud bricks. Maybe some cement in there too but not much. And an AK will eat up cinder block. So will a couple pumps on a shotgun with buck shot. So yeah, combination of weak cover and ball ammo and you have the makings of a bad choice. Now if the gun on the other side was a military gun, and I'm certain it was - like something big and purpose built, even heavy walls and concrete are no match once you start chiseling away at it with depleted uranium.

So back to the original post and topic, many people think cover and concealment are the same thing - they are not. A quilt will conceal you. It just keeps the enemy from knowing where to shoot but it doesn't give you any cover. Most people think that a vehicle (made of steel right?) is good cover. Nope, it conceals you, but can easily be shot through with small caliber hand guns. Bigger stuff like a .308 are no match and basically the engine block is the only thing that provides cover.

If you want real cover you need something fortified. Layers of steel with sand between them. Sand bags. A bunker with a earthen berm around it. That kind of stuff. Even castle walls were not much protection when cannons came around. When cannon shot would hit the castle walls the cannon ball wouldn't penetrate on the first few shots, but the energy would be transferred into the castle wall like in a Newtons Cradle (the thing with all the balls on a string that tic tic tic each other). That would cause the stone and masonry on the inside of the castle to come shooting out of the wall in a shotgun like effect blasting people with sharp shards of stone and rock. That was more deadly that one single cannon ball.
You are right about cannons and stone walls, They discovered one of the best defenses against cannons was just dirt mounds. Many civil war fort were surrounded with a dirt mound. A cannon would just blow the dirt up in the air and could be quickly repaired. If SHTF a dirt mound could still be a good defense.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, dirt or sand can certainly stop bullets and cannonballs if it's deep enough, this prepper is building a sandbag emplacement inside his home so he and his family can dive in it if bullets start coming through the wall..:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.