Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a show last night and the police had these little thin vests on and I'm assuming they were bullet proof vests. For such a size, I would think they would weigh no more than a pound or two. I'm sure these are expensive, but in a shtf world it would be worth it. Anyone have any experience with bullet proof vests and know what something like that would cost? I see them all the time on ebay, but wanted to do my research first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I know about bullet proof vest is this, the one you saw I believe is called soft armor, and if I am right is suppose to stop the bullet but the impact is full force. Which will screw your chest up, the regualr style vest in the carrier can hold an optional trauma plate for the sternum area. The last thing is when buying vest if you get a good deal its probably because the vest is "out dated" which I think is usually 5 years because the kevlar threads start to weaken or something like that ( I have my own thoughts on that) I have a second chance vest bought it new over 10yrs ago and feel its better than nothing. Also I saw a video of a ten year or older vest shot and it still stopped the bullet. Any way thats just my pennys worth

·
Registered
84 Posts
i will be looking to buy some of these as soon as funds permit. Does anyone know of a trustworthy seller on e-bay? :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was watching a show last night and the police had these little thin vests on and I'm assuming they were bullet proof vests. For such a size, I would think they would weigh no more than a pound or two. I'm sure these are expensive, but in a shtf world it would be worth it. Anyone have any experience with bullet proof vests and know what something like that would cost? I see them all the time on ebay, but wanted to do my research first.
Russia is developing a new multipurpose bulletproof vest whose price near about $1000...,,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got soft and heavy armor. Kevlar pads you can wear under clothes, stop shrapnel and 9 mm. I got plates and the plate carrier for them, theyll stop 7.62(AK47) as well as blades and blunt trauma. I got Kevlar helmets too. Message me if you wanna buy em.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I'm no expert, but is there really such a thing as a totally bullet-proof vest?
I don't think there is is there, because Brit/US troops in Afgh wear them and still get shot don't they?

Another thing:- do we need to buy vests at all, can't we make one ourselves by getting hold of a few thick steel plates and sewing them into an old jacket or something?
Or even simpler, how about drilling a couple of holes in a steel plate and hanging it round our neck, buttoning it under our jacket to protect us from chin to groin?

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
See here's my two cents. I own an old flak jacket and was looking into a newer vest style. But frankly I watched it in three different sittings where guys took brand new military issue body armor and helmets and shot holes right through them with an AK. Nothing, I repeat nothing is effective past smaller handgun rounds. That dragon skin stuff? Once it actually gets hit it's compromised, and for like 40 grand a vest I don't see me having one anytime soon. Trauma plates only cover a very small area and aren't made of magic. The manufacturers blatantly lie on much of their ads.

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
Leon, if you've got a Vietnam era flak jacket, those are designed to offer some protction against small fragments only. Like hand grenade fragments, small mortar fragments, etc. They WILL NOT give protection against bullets.
Jim, mild steel will not stop rifle bullets. I've got a piece of 3/16" thick mild steel plate that I put a 30-30 round thru @ 100 yards. The jacket was left bonded to the edge of the hole, the innards kept right on going.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I know that. I'm just saying it's a moot point, anyone shooting at you with anything bigger than a 9mm is going to hurt you.

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
Whew! OK, that's good. I just didn't want you to get hurt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
BulletProofME.com Body Armor - Ballistic Protection Levels

Check the above link.
As for e bay, each seller has his ratings in % on his profile. Look at the reviews he has.
I do not know what gets outdated in a vest. It could be from sunlight, cleaning or just age. I never checked it out.
The level of protection you want is up to you.
This link has a lot of good information. Also remember stab resistant is different than bullet resistant and the higher the level the protection is the heavier and more uncomfortable it will be.
Chances are you will never wear it.
There are places where ballastic jackets etc are made for professionals.
Bulletproof Clothing | SecretAgentMagazine.com
I don't have personal knowlege nor do I endorse any products.
I suggest you read about it in several places before spending your hard earned cash.
Your best defense is to be aware of your surroundings, listen to uour instincts and get the heck out before things happen.
Amimals do not take chances on being injured in the wild because they do not want to be disabeled or disavantaged for the next incident.

Good luck and I hope I helped someone.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
this may just be the next thing on my list jeeze I wonder what one retails for

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..Jim, mild steel will not stop rifle bullets. I've got a piece of 3/16" thick mild steel plate that I put a 30-30 round thru @ 100 yards. The jacket was left bonded to the edge of the hole, the innards kept right on going.
Yeah my take is that no matter how thick and super-duper expensive armor is, sooner or later a zomb will come along with a rifle capable of penetrating it.
So I think all we can do is buy (or make) armour that'll at least stop most regular handgun rounds, maybe 3/16" steel would do that?
Personally I'd wear the heaviest armour that it'd be possible to comfortably carry, say a half-inch steel slab hung round my neck and buttoned under my jacket.

PS- there's a good lesson to be learned from tank warfare, namely that no matter how thick a tanks armour is (e.g. the German Tiger), sooner or later a tank will come along capable of penetrating it such as the US Pershing, Brit Firefly and Russian T-34/85, especially if firing solid tungsten ammo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The new ballistic gear has ceramic ballistic plates that, yes once they are hit or damaged in any way they are compromised and must be replaced. I did take a hit to the chest and then the lower right quadrant of my back wearing this protective gear and both 7.62 x 39 rounds from the shooter (with an AK-47) were stopped from penetrating. Of course I had damage from the hits, and soft tissue damage, but the rounds did not penetrate. These vests are extremely expensive but from time to time they do come available. You just must be very careful to make sure there is no degradation in the ballistic plates or other materials.

Note... I always wear a safariland summit IIIA vest with front and back plates in addition to the outer ballistic armor. Even though the rounds did not penetrate the ceramic plates, I know that this extra protection mitigated a lot more damage, and the fact that it was a long range shot.

Fact is, as stated previously within 500 to 1000 yds, the penetrating power of ammunition from many long guns and assault weapons is unsurvivable if the shot group is in the right place. If your hit, your hit. If you have the money now and can afford it... cant hurt to get ballistic armor. Otherwise, spend you dollars on something you can enjoy now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts