Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
how thin and what type of steel would likely stop a .308?

once you know that, get something about 100% better.
I know for a fact that 30-06 270 and 308 will penetrate half inch standard cold rolled plate steel.

They will not penetrate 3 quarters.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I don't know what I am talking about, but I've seen youtube videos of AR and AK rounds travelling through the side of a car and still having enough power to punch through a 3/4" sheet of plywood. So I'm not so sure that I would trust thin steel.

I suppose you could always test it at the shooting range with a couple hundred rounds.
I personally have shot several old junk cars and 22 will go completely through both sides of a car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I believe this is a shield you might consider. I could not find the prices on them. I am on board with your idea. Funny how we are so willing to have the offense but lack the defense. Shields were so widely used, and with guns it kind of diminished. Of corse the swat teams use them, and I would think that shows the usefulness of it. Yes they are room clearing, and what not. That does not mean this would not be a brilliant idea to have for a defensive situation like a home invasion, shtf. This small shield in the link seems like one of the best for this scenario. Small Ballistic Shield

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Years ago i was writing an article (that i eventually sold to Guns n Ammo) on penetration in a modern home. During the research i conducted a series of tests where i shot simulated walls with various calibers to see what would penetrate. Since it was a foregone conclusion that 2 layers of sheetrock would stop nothing, i placed all shots thru the stud in the middle (no i did not shoot myself...i shot the wooden 2x4 between the sheetrock layers). Amazingly i was able to achieve penetration down to a 32 (which consistently penetrated half the stud before exiting sideways.)

So that tells you how much protection walls give you.

But to answer your original query; Years ago Masaad Ayoob was modelling a pretty cool fanny pack that had a kevlar shield that you could pull outta the bag with one hand. So the fanny pack would not only act as a vest, but it could hold a gun, phone, and cuffs. Pretty cool item, dunno if they still sell it though. Twas likely expensive.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I carried the ballistic shield on the entry team. It had a window, a light and would stop up to a .308. It was also as much fun to carry as a Buick.
I worked with a shield on entry teams too. It will stop a bullet but you will probably get a lot of nasty spall in your face. It takes a lot of practice to use one. I had to hold my pistol "gang banger style" to shoot with one since I'm kinda vertically challenged.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
There's some old Remington bronze tips for .270 Winchester that will penetrate level 3 armor and keep on going with no issue.
I know for a fact that 30-06 270 and 308 will penetrate half inch standard cold rolled plate steel.

True that all three of these calibers will do what you say, but when you add that bronze tip that .270 round does some nasty business.

They will not penetrate 3 quarters.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
When the swat teams get new shields what do they do with the old ones? "The Buick's"
That might be a good thing to have.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts