Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think a bullet proof baseball cap something worthwhile?

Cap

Even if the cap stopped a bullet, the blunt force trauma to the melon is probably going to do some serious damage anyway.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
It may stop the round from penetrating the kevlar fabric but the blunt trauma caused by kenetic energy would send fragments of your skull into your brain. One of my friends vest stopped a .38 round. Knocked him down and cracked a rib.

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
How about the egg heads on the Supreme Court testing it? No possibility of making things worse there.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought it was a strange product and question it's usefulness and yet it will be marketed and there will be people who buy them.

Aluminum foil for the body armor junkies?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
That is just crazy stupid! Reminds me of the guy from 2nd chance whatever, shoot himself in the chest point blank with a 44 mag. Gotta love, do not try this at home!!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
OK, let's just say the cap stops the bullet. Take a 30-06 and put the butt against your forehead and pull the trigger...

What just happened? You either knocked yourself out or worst case you killed or paralyzed yourself with a broken or damaged upper neck/back injury. Either way you are no longer in a position to defend yourself or others.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Hang on Paul, let me go try that and I will let you know what happens. LOL

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
From the op link:

Won't the force from the impact kill you?The amount of energy in a handgun round is high, but not as high as some people seem to believe. A .45ACP has about 450 Joules of energy. A hockey snapshot has about 240. So the amount of impact you would feel is on the order of twice the impact of being hit in the helmet with a hockey puck. Is that enough to give you a concussion? Maybe? It is certainly in that range, but a concussion would be a welcome outcome when compared to the damage a bullet would do to the same area without protection.

Will the hat protect the side and rear of your head?*No. The protective panel only covers the front. It covers roughly 33% of the inside of the hat.

Says it's made to stop 22lr up to 45acp. It may have uses for law enforcement or vip protection but no way I would buy the thing. Seems like it would be akin to getting hit in the head by a hammer.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Using the figures from above, The 240 Joules of energy hitting you at 90(?) mph is going to affect you about 1/3 as much as the 450 Joules being transferred nearly 700 mph.
Your head and neck has to absorb the velocity that is a component of the energy. The slower puck probably has nearly the same momentum at about half the energy.

I am talking off the top of my head here - I haven't do the math but the formula for the energy is E=1/2M(V2). The formula for momentum (at its simplest form) is Mom=MV (M=mass and V=velocity of the projectile)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I remember I guy when I was a kid that could catch a .22 with his teeth on a show like that's incredible or something
well he did it and broke both jaws and his front teeth-never heard or seen that dude again.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Hockey pucks to the head even with state of the art helmets ruin lives and end careers. Just saying.

Unless your Johnny Bower of course. He was unique to say the least.

Jacques Plante is a good one to ask as well.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
In my mind, I keep seeing the bullet hitting the hat.
The hat doesn't allow the bullet to penetrate.
But the skull behind the had caves making a roughly bullet sized hole.
The bullet continues and pulls the hat, now inverted around the bullet, into your skull.

Maybe if it is a good enough shot, bullet and hat will exit the other side of your head, but more than likely you end up with a hat inside your noggin.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts