Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body try building a smoker out of a couple 55gal drums? I thought I was pretty smart and frugal by welding the two drums together after notching them to fit and allow the smoke through. Only problem is I don't own a MIG welder and my arc welder was a bit of over kill. Borrowed a buddies flux core MIG and I am here to tell you the sides of those drums is thin, and when your welder does not have more than a high and low setting, and the low setting burns through if you try more than a 1/4" bead at a time it takes a while. Finally wound up tacking it and brazing the entire joint after doing the weld/grind/weld/grind routine for a few hours. Should have just bought the double barrel stove kit and connected it with pipe. Still have to build a frame and the racks, I will have pictures when done (hopefully soon)

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I'd love to see either pictures or at least a diagram of construction on that refrigerator rascal.

My little smoker is getting about worn out, . . . gotta replace it, . . . want to go to a "big" one this time.

Thanks,

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Building mine out of drums because a place locally sells them for $16 a piece, should be almost able to get a whole hog in it. I thought a bout using a refrigerator, but I was not sure about the enamel they paint them with or if the seals and insulation would hold up to 250`

1 - 4 of 4 Posts