Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what tools you would have in your BOB that you'd use to build a Dakota fire hole?

I am just looking into this now and am fascinated to learn how they don't give off smoke.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been looking at quite a few videos on Dakota Fire Holes on YouTube. Very interesting.

It seems that the basic principles of this type of fire are used in "Rocket Stoves".

A few people have been making their own rocket stoves. I'm wondering if any are available commercially to use bio mass e.g. twigs and sticks like the Solo Stove etc but with that efficient fire without giving off the smoke.

If there is a small one available for sale it may make sense to buy as it would save time and energy to build the Dakota Fire Hole when you could be doing better things. If you can't buy these Rocket Stoves "yet" then it may be worth experimenting to make your own DIY one cheaply.

·
Registered
966 Posts
They do give off smoke, just not as much. A lot of work for a fire even with easy digging. To cook on a wood fire in the E&E mode, keep the fire small, a twig fire is all you need. Cook during the day, odors seem to carry farther at night. Cook in a thicket if you can find one to dissapte the smoke. Cook and then move off, don't cook were you will hole up or sleep.

You could dig one with an E-tool or a big utility knife like a Kabar some places. Other places you would have to blast.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I suppose everyone knows to hang your food or the entire pack high in the air to keep animals from getting to it, right?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Here's a post I made a few months ago on rocket stoves. My daughter was really into survival, prepping, permaculture, and homesteading back when she still lived at home. We have all sorts of things around here that she made with her boyfriend (now husband) between 2002 and 2005. These rocket stoves get very hot using only small sticks and put out almost no smoke at all. This one is kind of big and we used it for canning in late summer for several years. Obviously, the smaller versions are much more portable for a simple and light weight on-the-run cooking and water sterilization stove. We have several versions made of #10 tin cans around here somewhere.
http://www.prepperforums.net/forum/prepper-tools/2721-pics-old-rocket-stove.html

·
Registered
938 Posts
Can anyone tell me what tools you would have in your BOB that you'd use to build a Dakota fire hole?
I use the Glock entrenching tool. It is extremely well made, compact, lightweight, can be adjusted to multiple positions so you can use it to shovel, scrape, or chop, or use it as a hoe, and also as a pick/mattock. It will also pry up rocks or logs.

It also has a saw blade concealed inside its extendable handle to cut firewood, build shelters, or cut through roots (it actually is a root saw by design) - this design goes back to the trench warfare common in Europe.

It will also chip through and cut out ice. And you can use it in self-defense in a last-ditch situation (literally, perhaps).

Austrian design. Glock polymer and steel. Includes carrying pouch. Under $40. Worth every penny....

Linky:

GLOCK USA

·
Registered
938 Posts
By the way, Glock field knives are also very well made. Under $30. Black or tan colors. Polymer sheath included.

I recommend the ones with the root saw on the top edge of the cutting blade. The blades are very tough and hold an edge well (spring steel).

It will cut branches, roots, and also removes the scales from fish like a champ. The polymer sheath detaches from a belt or strap easily, too.

The root saw can save your a$$ if you have to dig and hit a big root. Ask me how I know....

Put the Glock e-tool and field knife with root saw in your BOB, and be ready for the outdoors anywhere....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.