Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Building a cheap semi-underground greenhouse, for year round gardening

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jardude 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Along the same lines crops that grow in the cold.
I was shocked this year. We had a strange year winter wheat was very late. I rent some land out the people that farm that land plant a white radish very late in the year. The reason is a ground cover that puts nitrogen back in the soil and it keeps the ground loosened up .
However they can be a food source. Strange part they grow in cold weather and do not die off until 18 degrees.
Reeducation time for me.

Reactions: Downtown
#4 ·
Along the same lines crops that grow in the cold.
I was shocked this year. We had a strange year winter wheat was very late. I rent some land out the people that farm that land plant a white radish very late in the year. The reason is a ground cover that puts nitrogen back in the soil and it keeps the ground loosened up .
However they can be a food source. Strange part the grow in cold weather and do not die off until 18 degrees.
Reeducation time for me.
Radish doesn't fix N.

Good idea Dt.

#5 ·
This time of year we are 20-mid thirties at night the darn things are still growing and nice green fields.
Many crops trap and put nitrogen back in the soil . Any year you grow corn after peas far less nitrogen
is needed. That is another reason you rotate crops.
This radish grows long like a carrot . I need to do some home work . The tops of most radish plants are good to eat also.
Any crop that can extend a growing season 2-3 months here is a big plus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.