Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see what the opinion was on my potential bugging out strategy. I live in a suburban area and must travel through an urban area in order to escape the island I live on. If I am ever in need of bugging out I know my bike is very likely going to be my bug out vehicle as I don't own a car and roads will be gridlocked. to avoid people I thought to bike on train tracks or along the tracks as the trains will be down, if they aren't I'm not bugging out. They cut right through to my second and third bug out locations and the direction I need to get to my further bug out locations. In addition if I need to go to my fourth bug out location I will need to go over a bridge I figure all the bridges will be covered in cars where as the train bridge will be completely empty. in addition the tracks are designed to be very flat including elevated sections which will make biking or walking easier. So what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
welcome to the forums, a bike is the best choice even if you had a car.

To make that work you need to put some supplies along your route, until you get that done you are dreaming.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree with Montana Rancher. A bike will get you a lot farther if everyone and his brother are on the roads trying to get out to places like where I live (in the sticks). I have a bicycle on the outside chance I have to go into Charleston. I'll leave the SUV under camo netting and brush.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Welcome.

Quite frankly, and not because of my screen name, your best bet for where you live is to leave via boat. If you have to go thru an urban area, and since your in NY (city) presumably without an adequate weapon, you'll be nothing but a target. A small inflatable is easily carried. I'd suggest a small outboard too but all that will depend on your logistics. And, a small inflatable can carry quite a load of supplies.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Welcome.

Quite frankly, and not because of my screen name, your best bet for where you live is to leave via boat. If you have to go thru an urban area, and since your in NY (city) presumably without an adequate weapon, you'll be nothing but a target. A small inflatable is easily carried. I'd suggest a small outboard too but all that will depend on your logistics. And, a small inflatable can carry quite a load of supplies.
first welcome

second if practical, go this option, learn the riverways, even look at a electronic motor option (this effects weight, but if you can generate power, your fuel is almost endless)

otherwise, do your best to blend in with the crowd, and sneak away when the time comes, its a dangerous option, good luck

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It seems to me that you base your whole plan on being able to bike out. That should be only one option, and I never seen any one ride a bike on rail road tracks (only after some have been converted for bike use when no longer used) unless you are talking about using a engine powered trail bike or something. get a topographical map and see if there or other routs like gas lines and power transmission lines you could use. Also google earth is a good place to start to search for ways out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.