Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people who have a simple plan for SHTF they plan to Bug-Out. No other plan just run... I can understand this for the city dwellers and maybe some suburbanites but, who else might want to bug-out and why?

I plan to Bug-out if I can't bug-in and lines for doing so. So here is my thinking... Sort of a warzone why leave a country home?

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
To me, buggin out is a last resort. I'll bunker in until I'm forced to take off. No reason to abandon 99% of my preps unless it would kill me to stay put.

·
Registered
53 Posts
To old tired and fat to run. Staying put.
You know the saying: I may not be as good as I ONCE was BUT I’m as good ONCE as I ever was?

Yup that’s so far behind me that I can’t even see it in the rear view mirror.

·
Administrator
15,565 Posts
We moved to a good “bug out” place 25 years ago.
Our little farm on the corner of 40th and Plum.

40 miles out, plum in the middle of nowhere.

I firmly believe that God led my wife and I here to get all “dug in” and ready to weather the coming storms.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
You know the saying: I may not be as good as I ONCE was BUT I’m as good ONCE as I ever was?

Yup that’s so far behind me that I can’t even see it in the rear view mirror.
What I used to do all night now takes me all night to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
as survivalists don't we prepare for the unknown? No matter where you live or what future events you may envision you should still have a plan to bug out, even if just temporarily. You could just commit to dying in place but is that survival?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as survivalists don't we prepare for the unknown? No matter where you live or what future events you may envision you should still have a plan to bug out, even if just temporarily. You could just commit to dying in place but is that survival?
Yes but... I'm asking about those who only plan to Bug Out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes but... I'm asking about those who only plan to Bug Out
yeah my response was more geared towards the "im gunna die right here" crowd. In response to your question I would say you can't foresee what may cause your country home to become untenable so you should have a robust plan to leave it. That includes off site caches, primary , secondary and tertiary escape routes, rendezvous points etc etc.. Its jsut another plan and options. Options are good. Flexibility is key

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
...We moved to a good “bug out” place 25 years ago...

Well, I am almost with you. I found a place with gracious housing I had never seen before. I expected to see a sign marked, "No bikers allowed." Then again, the front part of this new, double-plus garage had room for a bunch of angry bikes!

Speaking of which, it was my wife that drove a car around looking out for all the fancy-smanchy places I had overlooked today. I just assumed that a nice place like this would have bounced me out years ago. Now the suburban guys just wave. In the early years I just assumed that a "wealthy-ish wave" was an insult to keep bikers moving.

The first time I had to "empty my pockets" I think I scared a newbie officer. After all, when you have more "stuff" than officers you get a very funny look...

·
Registered
gardening, food preservation and storage, DIY
75 Posts
I would only bug-out if the choice to bug-in is not an option.

My husband has been a prepper for a long time. After a few years of accumulation and storage I thought ... how could we possibly carry all of that if we do have to bug-out? I mentioned this to him, and we agreed to setup a camper that contains everything we would need to survive and even be comfortable and healthy, which could be pulled by a vehicle ... but then I can't help but think ... what about fuel to use the vehicle, or parts for the mechanical maintenance of the vehicle?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Bugging out only works if you have a place to go, it's stocked and the folks there will accept you new comer's in a time of crisis

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Bugging out only works if you have a place to go, it's stocked and the folks there will accept you new comer's in a time of crisis
They don't have to be strangers. MAG members should be willing to take you in, just like you should be willing to take them in.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Perhaps I'm not all that smart. What or who are the MAG folks

·
Administrator
15,565 Posts
...We moved to a good “bug out” place 25 years ago...

Well, I am almost with you. I found a place with gracious housing I had never seen before. I expected to see a sign marked, "No bikers allowed." Then again, the front part of this new, double-plus garage had room for a bunch of angry bikes!

Speaking of which, it was my wife that drove a car around looking out for all the fancy-smanchy places I had overlooked today. I just assumed that a nice place like this would have bounced me out years ago. Now the suburban guys just wave. In the early years I just assumed that a "wealthy-ish wave" was an insult to keep bikers moving.

The first time I had to "empty my pockets" I think I scared a newbie officer. After all, when you have more "stuff" than officers you get a very funny look...
Hey, Chico!!
It's good to see you around, my friend!!

·
Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
mentioned this to him, and we agreed to setup a camper that contains everything we would need to survive and even be comfortable and healthy, which could be pulled by a vehicle ... but then I can't help but think ... what about fuel to use the vehicle, or parts for the mechanical maintenance of the vehicle?
You forgot one key item, what about ambushes? Likely thieves would consider any vehicle such as an RV or truck/camper as a prime target.

·
Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
And this part is crucial. Many small communities won't trust a newcomer for a very long time. And, if things get bad enough, could see you as a resource for supplies.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bugging out seems to be the go-to resolution for a lot of folks. But they often don't think beyond leaving. While some might not see that they have a choice, planning beyond the "out" part is a must. Hard to bug out too far without becoming a glorified refugee, & that's IF you can take significant preps with you in their entirety. Some folks seem to think bugging out will be like a road trip. I wouldn't plan to even travel a full gas tank's worth of distance without encountering problems.

Having mulled this over the last few years, I'm going the more permanent version of Bug Out. I'm moving out to the countryside. Hard to bug more out than that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts