Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Interesting

Votes: 2 16.7%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am looking into making what I consider my ultimate BOV. I would love some of your thoughts, pros and cons, anything you have to offer is awesome!

I am planning on starting with Ford E350 Utility van - The reason I choose this vehicle is because of the amount found on the road (spare parts). The hauling capabilities. The large fuel tanks. There 4x4. On board generator. And also a plus is the amount of aftermarket toys that bolt on. Also obviously room for additional seating as there are only two seats in the front and I need 4 plus the dog.

I plan on-
Using a fiberglass weave to bullet proof the rear cargo area and the doors.
Purchasing the steal cargo area divider with the locking door.
Mounting a winch to the front and have toyed with the idea of adding the 1 ton lift to the rear bumper (this item conceals into the rear bumper for storage).
Adding metal storage racks with locking doors.
Installing a roof rack.

That's everything off the top of my head for actual vehicle parts not including CB, additional lights, ect..

Anything else you can thing it might need for the pacific northwest or anything you think I don't need, your thoughts are welcomed!

Look forward to hearing from y'all

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
So I am looking into making what I consider my ultimate BOV. I would love some of your thoughts, pros and cons, anything you have to offer is awesome!

I am planning on starting with Ford E350 Utility van - The reason I choose this vehicle is because of the amount found on the road (spare parts). The hauling capabilities. The large fuel tanks. There 4x4. On board generator. And also a plus is the amount of aftermarket toys that bolt on. Also obviously room for additional seating as there are only two seats in the front and I need 4 plus the dog.

I plan on-
Using a fiberglass weave to bullet proof the rear cargo area and the doors.
Purchasing the steal cargo area divider with the locking door.
Mounting a wench to the front and have toyed with the idea of adding the 1 ton lift to the rear bumper (this item conceals into the rear bumper for storage).
Adding metal storage racks with locking doors.
Installing a roof rack.

That's everything off the top of my head for actual vehicle parts not including CB, additional lights, ect..

Anything else you can thing it might need for the pacific northwest or anything you think I don't need, your thoughts are welcomed!

Look forward to hearing from y'all
I like the idea of mounting the "Wench" to the front bumper,especially if shes the nagging type.::clapping::.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem for me with a mini bus is blending in. With a Van I only have to worry about the front windows, there will be a divider to hide the rear contents. As far as overloading it I assume is can take the load because I see them loaded to the max with for companies all around. But I appreciate you bring up the point I will definitely look into the weight of my addons and research the load capacity of the E350.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I have to ask, what makes you think fiberglass will stop, or even slow down, a bullet?

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
With the school bus people may give it a pass as they wouldn't want to attack some kids. If your going to bullet proof the sides the windows aren't an issue. I would worry more about the engine components and cab and leave the back alone to save weight.

I never see 4x4 vans for sale. If you know where there are a bunch for sale let us all know.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I believe it was Quadra-Van who used to convert the Ford vans to 4X4. There are even some RV's built on them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a second video of him shooting it, im not saying you wont die in it but something this light weight is better then nothing.

I have to ask, what makes you think fiberglass will stop, or even slow down, a bullet?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Although I appreciate your faith in the heart of people, I personally don't see people holding fire just because there is a child aboard. I have little faith in people personally. And in my area I see 4x4 vans on craigslist from time to time.

With the school bus people may give it a pass as they wouldn't want to attack some kids. If your going to bullet proof the sides the windows aren't an issue. I would worry more about the engine components and cab and leave the back alone to save weight.

I never see 4x4 vans for sale. If you know where there are a bunch for sale let us all know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now when you say lift. Are you talking about one for loading things in the van? I for some reason was thinking a wheel lift for towing cars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mean like a 1 ton hoist. It's basically a engine hoist that folds into the bumper, ill try to find a picture for y'all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What about just using pulleys. A 4/6 pully set with a couple adults can yank anything. Also lighter, versatile/transportable, and cant break down.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,314 Posts
Layered fiberglass can provide protection from small arms fire if it is properly hardened with the right resin mix.
There are a few videos on YT of folks making their own body armor from it.
It won't do much against a rifle round, but it can stop a 9mm if done right.
I guess the "something is better than nothing" idea is at work here.

To the point I know you're itching to make, yes this will add significant weight to the vehicle, just like body armor can to the body. :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts