Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After scouting out about 1500 miles of remote land ive found the sweet spot and well nested on high ground with 2 larger rivers one on each side. Prior to this i was considering on purchasing a good 30 acre chunk of crown land but after doing a bit of research i think anyone who purchases any land anywhere is crazy as all propertys are registered and is free information so basically the public knows your bug out location for this reason ive decided to squatter on crown land as we have thousands of acres here in Canada ive found several old hunt camps well built solid log these are free to use for everyone one i like had a log book no one has visited in 14 years except the ***** i chased off they are owned by nobody becuase there on goverment crown land its a courtesy thing just clean up leave it how you found it only way to own these is to squat for 7 years year round and its yours to keep as for transportation horse back is the only way to go no breakdowns no fuel shortage problems stealthy quiet and can go where most vehicles cant there great security perimeter breach there ears pivot in that direction.Water is abundant with both rivers one camp did have a artisian well but the camp itself is to far gone but i maped it its 8 miles from my camp but the ice cold water is almost worth the trip the one river is 10 min walk down steep hill a little tough river on the other side is 3 miles and both rivers have great fishing trout run in spring salmon run in fall as for food these areas are full wild turkeys ducks deer moose in a short walk i stirred up 20 or more partridge therefore i wont need to cart tons of food water witch gives me more room to carry the comforts of home. The key to survival is not how fast you can bugout or how mutch ammo you have or food or water i believe the key is knowledge and knowledge is free and if we all share are tech tips ideas gadgets suvival tips we all stand a better chance when the shit hits the fan

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I personally believe it will be a very hard thing to bug out like a lot of people are planning on doing. It can be done but wont be as easy as people think. Unless you plan to leave at the very first sign of an emergency situation. I also think there are very few places east of the Mississippi River that would be a safe bol. The east is just way too overcrowded and it would be a very short time before people started migrating to the country areas. You also need to think about water. i hear people all the time say they live on a river or near a lake so they will have plenty of water. You have to figure that it would be a very short time before those water sources would be contaminated. There will be raw human waste EVERYWHERE and it will run off into the water supplies so a water purification system of some time is one of the first things people need.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Our bug out plans are to a smaller community that we have family and very close friends in. They are far enough away from from major cities and have no major highways running through them. I figure safety in numbers, strength in community, and a collective of skills is a good thing. Another 4 years or so and we hope to permanently reside in one of the two towns, or within a reasonable distance to build stronger ties.

I wish I had the resources for a remote self sustaining retreat, but it's a dream more than a reality. The one advantage to rural communities is that if need be, one can be "in the woods" in short order if necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree theres safety in numbers and whats the point on surviving by yourself the big picture is to rebuild i will have a task ahead of me in finding trustworthy mate or group with strong will always better to work as a team a nurse a hunter a carpenter ect the more skills you have covered the better your survival rate ive recently received my ham radio licence every skill helps best of luck

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The point with any BOL is to go there and stock some supplies that you will not be able to carry as you may be on foot or at best in a vehicle.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Ive imagined bugging out in almost every imaginable situation. The easy ones are economic collapse, hard ones are an EMP event and lots of in between. I don't think it's hard. I think it just takes planning and prep work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Making frequent trips to stock isnt a easy task for me i can trailer my horse to a old non access logging road then a 26 mile ride to BOL i should be able to stock basics in 2 trips as i dont want to visit to many times and leave a beaten path to my door the major part of my food lives there so basics rice spices noodles lots of seed for vegies ive just finished a weekend project a emp shielded hard shell military case to carry my radio gear laptop gps ect turned out nice pics coming soon

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Gran-n-go has a better circumstance in Canada than us in the lower 48. PrepConsultant's assessment of east of the Mississippi is also correct. At 65 I believe my best stand is at home in spite of being east of the Mississippi and near an urban area.

The problem I see with with small town bug outs is who you will be up against. I grew up in rural small town USA. The local do nothing have nothings are going to be a capable enemy. If you are not part of the long standing community, you will be their first target.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I think the reality is most BOL's in a rural open to the public area will be loaded with people looking for the same. The more unhospitable a place is the less people will be there. From what I've seen of upper Canada though I haven't been there, I'd bet a person could find a good spot. It will be tough, but that's the point why everyone won't be there. You're still going to be better off with a group of like minded people with you for spreading out work, more knowledge and defense, but the farther away from the masses of slugs the better.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I think the reality is most BOL's in a rural open to the public area will be loaded with people looking for the same. The more unhospitable a place is the less people will be there. From what I've seen of upper Canada though I haven't been there, I'd bet a person could find a good spot. It will be tough, but that's the point why everyone won't be there. You're still going to be better off with a group of like minded people with you for spreading out work, more knowledge and defense, but the farther away from the masses of slugs the better.
One of the reasons I picked the part of Montana we are in.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
That is an opportunity to learn multiple routes to you BOL. Make one trip at a time and each slightly different. You might learn a preferred route to actually use when SHTF and use it only once a year for practice while packing in gear on alternate routes. Alternatively our on foot bug out from our ranch we want an enemy to follow. It presents us ideal ambush and run opportunities.

Making frequent trips to stock isnt a easy task for me i can trailer my horse to a old non access logging road then a 26 mile ride to BOL i should be able to stock basics in 2 trips as i dont want to visit to many times and leave a beaten path to my door the major part of my food lives there so basics rice spices noodles lots of seed for vegies ive just finished a weekend project a emp shielded hard shell military case to carry my radio gear laptop gps ect turned out nice pics coming soon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
agreed Ripon different routes give you a better knowledge of your surroundings you might have a neighbor closer than you think or better yet a backup water or food source i do have the option of boating up river but the 30 foot hill climb is tough for gear and the boat at shorline is a givaway maybe a log trolly run i could wench the boat and gear up the bank and would double as fast escape could be rough ride down lol maybe 2 runs by boat SHTF run on horse im going to give it a 3 month dry run august to october turkey time ill be fine physically its the mental part being alone its all good till the birds start talking back lol only downfall is harsh winters here if SHTF in mid winter im nuked failed avarage of 5 feet of snow there horse cant do it hell i cant either 30 miles in snow shoes and cant haul any gear or ya sink

1 - 14 of 14 Posts