Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Im kinda new to prepping(only for 6 months). Im trying to make bug out bags for me and my wife and wanted to know what i should have in them as a defiant. I have now (flashlights(led) medical,tape,gloves,knives,solar chargers,multi tool,water bottle, multi tool) Im sure there is much more please help? Budget is little tight so be nice :)

-Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
Honestly you can think of thousands of things to put in your bag.. ( Seeds for crops. 2 pair socks 2 pair underwear clothing on person will wear jacket and pack 2 mres or prepackage food, water, ammo firearms batteries... rope or bought string to set up lean to ( rigged sticks and cover to provide shelter from overhead coverage. gold or liquor for barter.. sewing kit fire kit knife flashlight. glasses sunscreen hygiene ... all these things. In all honesty it depends on your situation do you have bug out location or are you going to be hoofing it to a team.. all this depends on what you should have in your bag.

Essentials are defense .. food/water and shelter anything to help with those. Don't forget you don't want your bag too heavy where you can not move quickly or long distances . put your packing in a pack an walk off roads for distances or hike and train your body to cary the weight and become comfortable then you can add more.

Good Luck

·
Registered
640 Posts
MP... I'd suggest a scan of the forums. This discussion has been had many times. Then... if you have specific questions... post those.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I def would do some searching . I didnt want to make it too heavy esp for my wife . I think about it if its really going to come to this. I live on the jersey shore and hurricane sandy was terrible... No power gas for weeks.... Gas had lines for 2-3 hours...It was crazy. That is whats making me prep.

·
Registered
444 Posts
MP,

I am in the same boat as you. I have put together a BOB with what I feel are the basics. I will add and subtract as time goes on, but I am attempting to do all this without spending a fortune. Inventory the items that you have in your home. You might be surprised what items you may find that can go in your bag/preps. Also, where possible, use multi-use items. For instance, toilet paper can be great for obvious reasons, but it also serves a fire starter purpose.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Look at your bug out bag as your camping bag and your about to go on a 2 week camping trip into the alaskan wilderness or the arid south west depending on your location. You wont likely go too far wrong. Then go test that baby out for the week end a few times including a few times of humping it 5-10 miles. The last thing you want to do is find out your gear doesnt work as advertised or that it wont hold up to the demand you put on them. Understand too that a BOB will be considerably different than a INCH bag as well, so make sure your putting the bag together for the appropriate scenario for which you intend to use it for.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Bug out from where to where. Distance you expect to travel to a safe location where you have better support?
Summer bag different than winter bag in many areas.
All thing you need to consider. To much in a bug out bag cam hold you back.
For some it maybe 5 gallons extra gas in the trunk for other enough food for a two day drive or walk
Water is a must no madder what some type of protection, Hand held GPS with way points already marked.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
@Smitty901...I like the hand held gps. I didnt think of that.. thanks man ....Love the advice
Things you learn from dry runs. We tested second sons and granddaughter routes here and saw in a worst case they may need to go cross county for part of the trip.
By loading Known safe points in you don't have to change your focus.
Test your ideas see how they work as they say war game it find the good the bad. We have time yet it is not going to crash down yet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The hurricane was a good learning opportunity. Remeber what you needed, what you wish you had, and what was not needed. That way at least you have a baseline to start with. Lunatic make a great point that there are differnt bags for different situations. I made the mistake of trying to create one all-around bag, it was way to heavy and I had to reassess the purpose of the bag(s).

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Dont try to play "Captain Save a Gang of Ho's" either so to speak. If you have to travel a long distance consider caching some supplies along your possible routes so that you dont have to "be a beast of burden". The more reasonable you can keep your pack weight without giving up anything in return the better and the faster you can move.

When I lived in the PNW (or So Cal) for a couple of years I had stashes of fuel and food along the route back to Texas. Yeah it was a bit of a logistical night mare due to the fuel, but it was well worth it should there have been a major problem and I needed to bug out. I could have walked out or driven out to a safer location as dictated by circumstances.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts