Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a YouTube video today that was based on building a camping/survival kit for $20 bucks. Instead of buying a tarp for shelter, they bought painter's drop cloth (1 mil plastic) for shelter. Thought it was brilliant. Any other budget prep ideas?

Reactions: MikeyPrepper

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I don't have a single specific but I entered the world of prepping after closing my business and drawing unemployment.
It didnt' take long for me to take a stupid restaurant and fast food budget and create a monthly budget of good food at
home that cost dramatically less. I began applying $20 a trip to "stocking up" at the grocery store which can go a very
long ways in canned goods and other supplies - and I only went shopping every two weeks. It wasn't six months before
I ran out of space in the pantry and cabinets in the kitchen and had to start stacking goods in an unused shower.

One thing I recently spent $30 on was 60 sand bags. 50 cents a peice and once filled its a 10 foot long 8 foot high
wall and that's not counting whatever digging down I've done to fill them.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm an extreme couponer so pretty much everything I prep falls into the budget category. Last week alone I got $1000 worth of stuff for $100, most items varying from 60% off down to a negative price point where they paid me to take it out of the store.

I like the idea behind this post, basically cultivating an attitude of resourcefulness when it comes to prepping,looking at a single item and brainstorming 15 alternative uses.

Here's a youtuber I like named Larry Hall. Larry uses Walmart reusable shopping bags as planters for his self-watering garden. Love this idea because it makes your plants portable and cuts down on weeds. If you check out his channel, he's got some nice canning videos too.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I needed to quickly cover some windows, so I purchased shower curtains at the Dollar General. much thicker than some of the drop cloths out there, Just a thought.

·
Registered
28 Posts
To preppermama: I tried the whole couponing thing about 2 years ago. After it when viral the coupons i have been able to find, really suck!!! I keep digging thru them and what they offer is not what it used to be.. Can you offer me any tips on how to keep the coupons rolling? And what i really need to focus on? Send me a pm... Thanks..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just painted a room with those plastic sheets and while it can be a great backup, it also rips and tears and isn't exactly dependable and staying dry is essential as you are much.. much more likley to get sick/weak feeling if you dont stay dry.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I love to check out mom and pop dollar stores. I find great stuff in there. Canned food, matches, candles, rope, etc. All $1.00. Dirt cheap stuff and it all works great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts